PDA

View Full Version : BUSA Championship,Trophy, Shield

Maxim
-14th February 2007, 11:24
The knockouts draw is now up on the BUSA website http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/fencing_cups.asp

doobarz
-14th February 2007, 12:43
And I see the indoor finals have moved from Birmingham to Sheffield.

TLove
-14th February 2007, 13:02
Last year was in Sheffield also

Australian
-14th February 2007, 13:34
I'll be at Sheffield for the finals in my usual role.

MakeTradeFair
-14th February 2007, 14:57
I should add that the Dundee girls will be playing away to the winner of the Leeds/Keele playoff taking place this afternoon or tomorrow in the Trophy.

Bambi
-14th February 2007, 15:16
I think BUSA have something against our womens team, for the past 2 years now they have been drawn against liverpool away!!

silvercross
-14th February 2007, 15:25
S'ok. Our guys have to travel to London next week. Three years ago they got the nice drive to St. Andrews...

Jules
-14th February 2007, 18:13
Heh we've got edinburgh...again, at home...again. Still I seriously think that my team would have boycotted the match if I'd told them they were going that many hours up north! Fortunate then that...

The Tooth Fairy
-14th February 2007, 23:39
Has anyone else noticed that it now says the womens trophy semi- finals is on the 14th March? On the regulations it states that the date for all trophy and shield semi finals is the 7th March. I hope this is just another one of BUSA's mistakes and that it hasnt been moved.

twohappyhippos
-15th February 2007, 02:50
Heh we've got edinburgh...again, at home...again. Still I seriously think that my team would have boycotted the match if I'd told them they were going that many hours up north! Fortunate then that...

Thanks!!! And we love you lot too! Both the boys and the girlies (and the girly netballers) will be down in Nottingham on Wednesday - looking forward to the bus journey already. Next year please come up to us!!! Twice in a row is not a fun game to play.

Jules
-15th February 2007, 09:20
Thanks!!! And we love you lot too! Both the boys and the girlies (and the girly netballers) will be down in Nottingham on Wednesday - looking forward to the bus journey already. Next year please come up to us!!! Twice in a row is not a fun game to play.

hehe well we'll try to give you a decent match for your pains...you're not going to do the round trip all in one day again are you?!

Nick_C
-15th February 2007, 13:16
You'll be away again next time too :(

They put the higher seed at home So naturally, all our playoffs and championships matches in the last few years have been away :'(

Maxim
-15th February 2007, 14:13
You'll be away again next time too :(

They put the higher seed at home So naturally, all our playoffs and championships matches in the last few years have been away :'(

Don't think so. We are at home against Cambridge - 1st in the Premiership 1999(?) - present. So does not look like they use seedings.

Nick_C
-15th February 2007, 15:47
Hmm ok then. :whistle: I just based that upon the (albeit unlikely) odds that 100% of my 8-9 CHamp/playoff matches have been away :(

Jules
-15th February 2007, 16:21
Agree with Maxim on a similar basis! We've had the same placing, same opposition, same location for two years now so it doesn't seem to be randomly drawn either.

twohappyhippos
-15th February 2007, 16:59
hehe well we'll try to give you a decent match for your pains...you're not going to do the round trip all in one day again are you?!

Yup!!! Oh what a wonderful journey its going to be. Fun fun fun is all I can say!

Twoswords
-19th February 2007, 16:13
Yep, Swansea Men's are heading to Reading for our knock-out. It promises to be an all round hilarious trip around the traffic blackspot that is Bristol.

At least it's not as bad as the drive to Bangor is going to be for the Welsh Universities competition. Anyone else on the forum heading up there at the end of the week?

Nick_C
-19th February 2007, 16:35
Hmmm i was thinking about it (Bangor, that is), but probably not now. Exhausted from this weekend :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

gbm
-19th February 2007, 17:12
Yep, Swansea Men's are heading to Reading for our knock-out. It promises to be an all round hilarious trip around the traffic blackspot that is Bristol.

At least it's not as bad as the drive to Bangor is going to be for the Welsh Universities competition. Anyone else on the forum heading up there at the end of the week?

Never had problems along that direction of the M4 from Newport until the Bath turnoff.

But I'll be going up to Bangor this weekend (I think!).

silvercross
-21st February 2007, 08:24
Good luck to everyone today in their matches (but specially to Liverpool! :nanananan)

madfencer
-21st February 2007, 08:32
Yea good luck to anyone fencing today! (especially anyone from any of the uni's which I applied to!) :grin:

Gangsta G
-22nd February 2007, 16:49
Looks like there were some fairly close matches yesterday, in all competitions!

gbm
-22nd February 2007, 17:15
Cardiff lost to Bristol unfortunately :upset:
But we've still got a promotion playoff against ULU soon... :nanananan

PS I won't be going to Bangor now as I'm too skint to go on my own and nobody else want to go on without everyone/they are too skint/they don't to go at all. Oh and the Uni decided to take (what was briefly) our minibus away from us.

Maxim
-22nd February 2007, 17:50
We had a rather entertaining match against Cambridge, especially the sabre part which involved a foilist, an epeeist and a sabruer who has not trained much lately trying to score something on Alex O'Connel, Anthony Crutchett and Danny Ryan :thumbs_up

Redcoat
-22nd February 2007, 17:57
GBM,

Does this mean Cardiff aren't attending this weekend? Or are some of your guys going?

Gangsta G
-22nd February 2007, 18:51
We had a rather entertaining match against Cambridge, especially the sabre part which involved a foilist, an epeeist and a sabruer who has not trained much lately trying to score something on Alex O'Connel, Anthony Crutchett and Danny Ryan :thumbs_up:lol: what was the sabre score?

Maxim
-22nd February 2007, 18:53
45-14 :rolling: and Dan Summerbell, Rob Shaw and Dom O'Mahony is not exactly the easiest foil opposition :grin:

Nick_C
-23rd February 2007, 00:04
AFAIK no-one from Cardiff is going.

Maverick
-23rd February 2007, 10:44
AFAIK no-one from Cardiff is going.

Alledgedly a select few were still going despite transport issues, but that's only hearsay.

TLove
-23rd February 2007, 12:32
45-14 :rolling:

No, get it right:

45-14 *plus* me smashing O'Connell's fingers with my guard :whistle:

But we've still got a promotion playoff against ULU soon... :nanananan

I suppose I should be engaging in some pre-match taunting of the opposition here.

er...

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of eldeberries!" :nanananan

Gangsta G
-23rd February 2007, 13:06
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of eldeberries!" :nananananI fart in your general direction

gbm
-23rd February 2007, 13:35
I fart in your general direction

You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!

Maverick
-23rd February 2007, 14:00
What a strange person.

UglyBug
-23rd February 2007, 14:03
We had a rather entertaining match against Cambridge, especially the sabre part which involved a foilist, an epeeist and a sabruer who has not trained much lately trying to score something on Alex O'Connel, Anthony Crutchett and Danny Ryan :thumbs_up

What? All at the same time?? That's a bit mean - could at least have let him fence them one at a time.

Also - how is Rob Shaw still a student?

Maxim
-23rd February 2007, 14:43
What? All at the same time?? That's a bit mean - could at least have let him fence them one at a time.

Not quite sure what you mean here (maybe my English is getting worse). I think Rob is in his final year.

fencingmum
-28th February 2007, 17:23
Congratulations Edinburgh for getting through to the last 4. Who else is still in?

KJK
-28th February 2007, 18:19
Congratulations Edinburgh for getting through to the last 4. Who else is still in?
Second that!!! well done and good luck in the Premier League match next Wednesday. At least you can fence at home next week.

Gangsta G
-28th February 2007, 18:44
Birmingham victorious today in both the men's and the women's :grin: against UCL and Bath respectively.

PM1
-28th February 2007, 18:58

I understood Northumbria blokes beat Edinburgh blokes today.....am I missing something here??:upset:

KJK
-28th February 2007, 20:26
Edinburgh fenced Durham today and won. But there are different leagues so perhaps that is what happened and they had two teams fencing at the same time but in different places. Perhaps 2HH can clarify the situation when she has finished partying!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all us Mum's only know what we are told.

Jules
-28th February 2007, 20:31
I understood Northumbria blokes beat Edinburgh blokes today.....am I missing something here??:upset:

that it was the womens team that beat Durham? lol although that wasn't explicit admittedly. Well done to Edinburgh!

PM1
-28th February 2007, 20:37
. Perhaps 2HH can clarify the situation when she has finished partying!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all us Mum's only know what we are told.

Quite....Boy is out partying as I type.....but he enjoyed today. At least I can go over to the EIS for the finals :thumbs_up

Maxim
-28th February 2007, 21:15
We beat Cardiff today in the first promotion playoff. Bath in two weeks time.

TLove
-28th February 2007, 22:06
Yes. Thanks for a great match, Cardiff. Well fenced :thumbs_up

Photos will be on http://ulufencing.net/cpg148/ when we get round to uploading them :)

gbm
-28th February 2007, 22:27
Yes. Thanks for a great match, Cardiff. Well fenced :thumbs_up

Photos will be on http://ulufencing.net/cpg148/ when we get round to uploading them :)

It was good fun, even though we lost :)
Good luck in the next playoff!

Lenny
-28th February 2007, 22:34
what was the score, i hope you put up a good fight McLeod!

TLove
-28th February 2007, 22:48
135-96 I believe.

Still coming to Paris next week Lenny?

pinkelephant
-28th February 2007, 22:51
Pity the finals clash with a senior men's epee A grade.

Lenny
-28th February 2007, 23:10
No i'm not I can't afford it and I'm gutted!! Do you know if any of the imperial guys are going this year? I wish I could afford to go but unfortunately one has to eat.

TLove
-1st March 2007, 00:07
Bah! Fencing and alcohol are all you need really ;)

I don't think Imperial are sending anyone - it's just us and UCL from the London area I think.

Bambi
-1st March 2007, 01:35
well aberdeen men's and women's are both still in, both through to the semi-finals!!! go team!!!

Gangsta G
-1st March 2007, 12:58
Pity the finals clash with a senior men's epee A grade.Shame. Will Jimmy not be able to fence then?

Bah! Fencing and alcohol are all you need really As I found out last night :grin:

pigeonmeister
-1st March 2007, 16:28
Cambridge beat Bristol 135-38.....Ouch!!!!!

That's surely a record?

I've been told that we have Northumbria in the semis, but the draws not up on the website.

pigeonmeister
-1st March 2007, 16:28
p.s Gangsta G...

You were ****ered last night!!

twohappyhippos
-1st March 2007, 16:30
Edinburgh Ladies beat Durham. But the boys lost to Northumbria :( See you all in Sheffield!!! Anyone know apart from Edinburgh and Cambridge, which girly teams are fencing?

D'Artignan
-1st March 2007, 16:37
Are you ready to wake me up when it's my turn to fence again, 2HH? Our SU decided to hold the Blues and Colours Ball the night before the finals. :dizzy: :duff1: :beer:

pinkelephant
-1st March 2007, 17:05
Shame. Will Jimmy not be able to fence then?

No. (Message too short so typing rubbish...)

PM1
-1st March 2007, 18:18
Originally Posted by pinkelephant

No.

...but the other teams needn't start celebrating quite yet.......ranting

Gangsta G
-1st March 2007, 18:37
Originally Posted by pinkelephant

...but the other teams needn't start celebrating quite yet.......rantingWhat, Northumbria don't have any other epeeists do they? :nanananan

And I deny all knowledge of what pigeonmeister says. Despite my previous post. :whistle:

PM1
-1st March 2007, 18:53
( I will not rise to the bait...I will not rise to the bait...)

(but will deliver vengence in person on The Day)

:whistle:

pinkelephant
-1st March 2007, 19:35
( I will not rise to the bait...I will not rise to the bait...)

(but will deliver vengence in person on The Day)

:whistle:

Just set LJ on'em.

PM1
-1st March 2007, 21:04
....how about three L-J's at the same time ??? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Aer
-1st March 2007, 23:07
well aberdeen men's and women's are both still in, both through to the semi-finals!!! go team!!!

Have to say that i enjoyed the Manchester - Aberdeen match, even tho we lost by 6 hits after winning two weapons (same as the playoff)

Good to see the scottish contingent again after a while - and glad that you had a safe trip back up north!

Congrats on the win, and more teams should take note of your example of sportsmanship :)

Nick_C
-2nd March 2007, 08:51
Cambridge beat Bristol 135-38.....Ouch!!!!!

That's surely a record?

Newcastle University Women's 1st 135
UW Aberystywth Women's 1st 29

(the week before) ... :O

So does anyone know what the men's shield is actually for, now?

Red
-2nd March 2007, 09:59
Shield is the Tier 2 knockout. Winners of SE 2a, SE 2b and Scottish 2a go through.

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2007, 11:55
My source (our AU head no less) was wrong and we have Cambridge. Northumbria have Oxford. Our girls take on Oxford too.

Now the question is...do I want to retire from the sabre team!!!

Gangsta G
-2nd March 2007, 11:58
Now the question is...do I want to retire from the sabre team!!!That depends on whether Podzniakov accepts our offer of a typing course...

I have to say, it doesn't make sense to me that the winners of the two Premierships should meet in the semi final. But hey, I don't make the rules...

pigeonmeister
-2nd March 2007, 12:04
It's a free draw so doesn't have to make sense. Whether a free draw makes sense...I gues its always been done that way.

Poz on a typing course...I think he might want some kind of financial recompence...on a Chelski level!!

RCAP2
-6th March 2007, 06:27
Given that it's impossible to tell which half of the Premiership has the stronger teams, a random draw does seem to be the best way of doing it: at the moment, Cambridge and Oxford seem to be the two strongest teams across all three weapons, and they can't both top the southern league... Were the same to be true of Birmingham and Northumbria in a couple of years time, the point would still stand.

Incidentally, the organisation of the championships seems pretty silly: not only over a European men's epee grand prix, but a European foil a-grade (Venice) too. Perhaps next year BUSA should check the international as well as the domestic circuit...

Another fencer
-6th March 2007, 07:53
RCAP, it isnt just the date of the Finals that doesnt make sense, it is the whole system. The distances we travel to fence for less than a minute (if you are a sabreur) and for less than 20 minutes if you iron man all three weapons and the difficulty of getting a full team out on a Wednesday. Then there is the unfairness of aggregation of points across all three weapons.

The Scots do it better than England and Wales with a single weekend of matches, but the knockouts remain on Wednesdays for all - I feel sorry for Aberdeen in the Trophy, who have travelled to Newcastle, Manchester and now are off to Reading.

I would prefer a (or two) regional weekend(s) of matches followed by a single weekend of knockouts. I would also suggest that instead of having a unified 3W championship, it should be done on the basis of weapon championships, which would allow universities with strength in one weapon and weakness in the other two to do much better than they do under the present system. It would also make life fairer for universities with more than 4 strong fencers in a single weapon.

RCAP2
-6th March 2007, 08:34
It would also make life fairer for universities with more than 4 strong fencers in a single weapon.

Yeah, but who'd be in that position?

Seriously, though, Milly, it's a good job you're going into a soulless corporation, because with ideas like that you might actually change stuff... R

silvercross
-6th March 2007, 08:41
Incidentally, the organisation of the championships seems pretty silly: not only over a European men's epee grand prix, but a European foil a-grade (Venice) too. Perhaps next year BUSA should check the international as well as the domestic circuit...

Pick any given weekend and someone will have a reason, valid or otherwise, for not attending.

The US National University Championships (and I really don't know why I pick on them), falls smack in the middle of these events:

Heidenheimer Pokal Heidenheim 23.03.07 24.03.07EMSAInd.
Coupe Ville de Venise Venise 23.03.07 24.03.07FMSAInd.
Challenge Jeanty Marseille 23.03.07 24.03.07FFSGPInd.
Coupe du Monde Alger 23.03.07 24.03.07SMSAInd.Initial

Granted, all European events, but how many US universities have European fencers in their squads who can win them a championship, not to mention their own equally capable home grown talents who would find attending any one of these events personally beneficial? It's an issue of what sort of glory you are looking for, personal or institutional? (or even both).

On a separate but similar note I do, however, like the way they do the scoring for their championships:

'An institutionís final place in the final round of the championships will be based on points earned by each individual. Each team is awarded one point for each individualís five-touch bout victory fencing in the round robin of 24. Results from the top-four finals bouts and any barrage bouts do not count toward team standings. Team ties for place will not be broken; results will stand as a tie.' http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/fencing/2007/2007_nc_m_w_fencing_handbook.pdf

But then again, they also run a five day competition. Care to ask how many universities, let alone student fencers will be willing to take that much time off for a 'National University Championships'? :rolleyes:

Bambi
-6th March 2007, 11:56
The Scots do it better than England and Wales with a single weekend of matches, but the knockouts remain on Wednesdays for all - I feel sorry for Aberdeen in the Trophy, who have travelled to Newcastle, Manchester and now are off to Reading.

Cheers af, it is a pain having away matches every wednesday and its quite an expense too. Thankfully our SU are flying us down and i wont have to drive.

ScotchWhisky
-6th March 2007, 13:41
Newcastle University Women's 1st 135
UW Aberystywth Women's 1st 29

(the week before) ... :O

So does anyone know what the men's shield is actually for, now?

Newcastle Mens 1st holds the BUSA record against Bradford Mens 1st
135 - 27

Another fencer
-6th March 2007, 19:28
Well, Cambridge a few years ago fielded probably the best and the third best sabre teams, Oxford has had an excess (5 or more) of really good foilists and epeeists over several different years. There have no doubt been other examples. Weapon championships would benefit these teams, as well as helping those universities with a single strong weapon. It would also increase participation by allowing universities which could only field a single weapon team and also encourage those who dont qualify for the existing teams to compete.

Wednesdays suck for fencing.

I have to ask - surely AUs would pay for regional weekends, rather than paying for all these trips? Who do we have to persuade?

pinkelephant
-6th March 2007, 20:02
And how do you find a free weekend for such an event?

gbm
-6th March 2007, 20:07
What gaps there are in the year are probably a little later in the year (April/May) than would be ideal. However, you could just hold it on a Wednesday...

pqg
-6th March 2007, 21:29
I have to ask - surely AUs would pay for regional weekends, rather than paying for all these trips? Who do we have to persuade?
I think BUSA would accept it, but they won't take responsibility for organising it. 5 years ago they decided to force Scotland to adopt a league system in line with the English unis and scheduled a series of Wednesday matches (previously Scottish unis had qualified via a points system from the Scottish student teams tournament - which unlike BUSA is run as separate events for each weapon). Since I was in charge of competitions for SASF at the time I realised this would be unpopular and organised to fight the whole league over a single weekend instead (which is how the Scottish league has been run ever since) I contacted BUSA and their attitude could be summed up as 'just get on with it - so long as you all agree to it, it doesn't matter where or when you run the matches'.

The main problem with doing regional weekend leagues for England/Wales is simply that unlike Scotland there are no regional (or even national?) student fencing associations to take charge and organise them. But, like Scotland, if someone were to take the initiative and sort it out one year, you might just save countless students from loads of unnecessary Wednesday trips for years to come...

gbm
-6th March 2007, 22:34
Out of interest, how is SASF funded?

pqg
-7th March 2007, 02:00
Out of interest, how is SASF funded?
Well, their primary funding source is also their primary purpose of existence: running Scottish student competitions. Traditionally there are 3 of these: the Teams, Individuals and Beginners although they have now taken on the job of the BUSA qualifying weekend too. Profits from these competitions are split 50/50 between SASF and the host club (none from BUSA weekend since there are no entry fees). The venues for comps rotate around the Scottish unis annually so each club gets equal money making opportunities.

Another fencer
-7th March 2007, 15:52
The Southern men's and women's premiership leagues both manage to hold two weekends of matches, hosted by Oxford and Bath this year. There are weekends when matches could be held especially if one reduced it to a single round of matches, although it probably would mean clashing with an Open. Also matters could be made easier if the leagues were reduced in size and we had more divisions. (although this would mean more administration and more venues or possibly larger venues?)

KJK
-7th March 2007, 17:22
Congratulations to the Edinburgh Girlies who won today against Keele. A clean sweep, wins in all three weapons.:not_worth Good luck against Loughborough next week!:thumbs_up

Another fencer
-7th March 2007, 18:01
I dont understand why Edinburgh ladies are fencing in the Northern PL play-off? I thought PLs were English/Welsh.

REG 21 PREMIER LEAGUES
REG 21.1 BUSA will operate combined English and Welsh PLs in Badminton, Basketball, Fencing, Football, Golf, Hockey, Lacrosse (Womenís only), Netball, Rugby Union and Table Tennis (Menís only).

Note that Scotland gets two championship qualifiers because they dont participate in the PL. Can someone explain?

Gangsta G
-7th March 2007, 18:21
I doubt there are many universities aside from Oxford and Cambridge who would benefit from individual weapon championships. This year, we (Birmingham) have almost always had a team of 5, and only fenced against a team of 9 once - Durham. Our foil team beat their foil team 45-8. Needless to say it would have been a somewhat closer match if their foil team had included some of their epeeists and sabreurs.

I also doubt that there are many universities aside from Oxford and Cambridge who find Wednesday matches difficult. As far as I'm aware, the majority of Universities do not have lectures on Wednesday afternoons, because that is when BUSA matches in all sports take place.

fencingmum
-7th March 2007, 18:35
Wednesday afternoons, perhaps not, but if you have to travel (frequently in some cases) then you often have to eat into Wednesday morning lectures/tutorials.

Jules
-7th March 2007, 22:37
Wednesday afternoons, perhaps not, but if you have to travel (frequently in some cases) then you often have to eat into Wednesday morning lectures/tutorials.

And therein lies the real problem (which people in my AU don't accept grrr). You may have given me the 'afternoon' off but if my lectures dont finish til 1pm then I can't get to away matches without missing them! We have a small team and when people start refusing to play matches because of important lectures it gets rather tough...

silvercross
-8th March 2007, 08:15
Sadly it is the power of each individual AU to pressure the respective departments into permitting this 'time for recreation' to all their students. And even at unis where this is done by the AU, some departments have 'mandatory seminars' which conveniently fall wednesday afternoons...

BUSA could consider imposing fines on universities (docking points, actual monetary fines, demotion from league, etc.) which do not let students have the day off, as a means to permitt AU offices to then put more pressure on the individual departments.

Conversely, if the AU is giving x amount of students scholarships, those students are in effect being paid by the university to represent them in a sport, something the department has to understand. Otherwise, the department can go ahead and pay the tuition of the student...

silvercross
-8th March 2007, 08:58
BTW, anyone know the results on yesterday's match between Loughborough/Leeds (men's)?

Another fencer
-8th March 2007, 11:17
Gangsta-G, wednesday afternoons off dont really help when you have to drive 3 hours to get somewhere and the knockouts are sometimes further away. As for the weapon championships, I wasnt thinking of the Oxford and Cambridge second teams as much as those universities with a very strong single weapon team, who get buried because they dont have strength in the other two weapons. Also there are a few universities that dont compete because they cannot field a 3W team, but might be able to scrape together a single weapon team. Yes, they could iron man all three, but for those universities where they have inexperienced fencers with just one or two experienced ones, they might be able to field a foil team more easily than trying to field FES.

pinkelephant
-8th March 2007, 12:26
Iron man? It's only 9 fights. Even I could manage that.

Red
-8th March 2007, 13:24
My department has NO compulsory lectures etc on Wednesdays, and there's never more then two, one of which tends to be 9-30.
Either way though, it doesn't help when we have 1pm starts for away BUSA matches especially when we're kind and have all of our home fixtures at 3pm....

pigeonmeister
-8th March 2007, 13:39
Unlike Northumbria who will only fence at 4.30 or 5pm, meaning that you get home at 1.30am.

pinkelephant
-8th March 2007, 14:56
I think that's because they can't get the hall at any other time.

pigeonmeister
-8th March 2007, 15:09
Yea it is, obviously no fault of the team. But you would have thought that a team like Northumbria- a uni that gives financial priority to fencing would be able to find a venue somewhere amongst its many buildings. I think there are BUSA guidlines that stipulate teams should not have to travel past midnight. I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that they could conform to them. Seems a bit unfair when all other teams in the league can start at 2pm (which I accept does have the down fall of requiring a fight through M6 at rush hour!)

pinkelephant
-8th March 2007, 17:04
I think the Northumbria fencers would agree with you - they find the lack of access to facilities very frustrating as well.

PM1
-8th March 2007, 18:21
I can second that comment, and not necessarily just for the BUSA matches. I suspect that it's something that will fall into the mix when this season is being reviewed, not least because there are due to be more fencers there next year. :nanananan

KJK
-8th March 2007, 19:17
Well in the last three weeks Edinburgh girls have travelled to Nottingham,6:00am start after midnight return, Durham not such an early start and yesterday Keele. I think they are to host Loughborough at home next wednesday. So spare a thought for these seasoned travellers.

Nick_C
-8th March 2007, 23:41
BTW, anyone know the results on yesterday's match between Loughborough/Leeds (men's)?

We won! woo! Serious issues with the (sabre) box timings and 60-minute pre-match parkings issues on campus, but apart from that, twas great fun:thumbs_up

Foil finished 45-40 up, sabre 45-36 down i think, and epee 45-36 up, meaning an overall 126-121 lufbra win! whoop whoop! It was a really close match - really enjoyable, and the Leeds guys were good lads too. The lead changed constantly between the two teams throughout the final two weapons. It's always good fun that way. Shame it's my last busa... :'( [not a shame it was my last ever AWAY busa match lol]

silvercross
-9th March 2007, 08:33
Saw the scores on BUSA. Congrats. Seems like it was one heck of a good match.

Now, our lads just have to make the trip to yours next week...

KJK
-14th March 2007, 19:12
Congratulations to the Edinburgh girlies again!! very close match against Loughborough, well fought.:)

silvercross
-15th March 2007, 09:33
Heard about the result yesterday. Congrats to the Loughborough lads for a good victory. And congratulations on making it to the Premiership North for 2006-07!

:flush: Ah, well. Back down to Division I for Liverpool Uni. It was a good run in the Premiership North...

But rest assured, like a bad government, a powerful vindaloo, or 80's style hairdoos...WE'LL BE BACK! :grin:

chnortles
-15th March 2007, 10:30
I am doing the budget for Brum uni team at the mo, sorting out travel costs for next year. This has to be done by 3pm today. Is anyone able to please tell me who won the playoff for the Northern Premiership Women Loughbro or Edinburgh??? I can't find any results up on the BUSA website and a trip to Edinburgh or a trip to Loughborough involves rather different expenditures!

KJK
-15th March 2007, 11:15
Congratulations to the Edinburgh girlies again!! very close match against Loughborough, well fought.:)

I think the Edinburgh girls won! If this helps?

Gangsta G
-15th March 2007, 12:18
But rest assured, like a bad government, a powerful vindaloo, or 80's style hairdoos...WE'LL BE BACK! :grin:I hope so! Really enjoyed our fixtures against Liverpool this season. Ay ay :tongue:

Is Loughborough south of Birmingham? I know we're hardly northern but I am a bit surprised you guys have been promoted to the northern league!

Red
-15th March 2007, 12:27
Loughborough is due east of Birmingham, maybe a little further north.

randomsabreur
-20th March 2007, 00:04
Wednesday afternoons started at 2pm in my case - I missed those classes fairly regularly...

For some ridiculous reason in my final year I had more lecture on Weds than any other... Fortunately most of them were French so I could avoid them.

Oh, and the not travelling after midnight point - if Aberystwyth meet Aberdeen, that would be almost inevitable (barring a private plane...).

Quite like the 3 weapon relay, although wore me out if I had to finish at foil as well as sabre. Fortunately no-one was ever desperate to make me finish at epee!

R

fencingmum
-20th March 2007, 07:36
I just want to wish all the Edinburgh girls all the best of luck on Saturday. Go, girls!

Lenny
-24th March 2007, 17:46
Any news from the finals today??

Gangsta G
-24th March 2007, 18:49
Men's championships semi finals, Cambridge beat Birmingham, Oxoford beat Northumbria; women's championships semi finals, Oxford beat Birmingham, Cambridge beat Edinburgh.

I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, but apparently Oxford and Cambridge have not met in the semi finals for at least the last five years, which I have to say is a bit odd!

Lenny
-24th March 2007, 21:02
Bad luck Gangsta, and that is a bit suspect about Oxford and Cambridge, are they intentionally North vs South semis to make it fairer perhaps?

Another fencer
-25th March 2007, 01:12
Cambridge lost to Oxford in last year's semi-final in the men's Championship, which was covered in the Sword and is obvious from the BUSA website. So conspiracy theory debunked already.

There was a similar meeting between Oxford and Cambridge in the women's semis in 2004.

The draws are random, not N-S.

Today's results:
Cambridge Men and Women victors in Championships
Reading win men's Trophy

Oxford's Sophie Troiano women's MVP
Cambridge's Rob Shaw men's MVP

D'Artignan
-25th March 2007, 20:34
Kings College managed to beat the truly World-class (:whistle: ) mens team from Dundee in whatever thingy we were in. The only thing which cheered us up was the gratuitously cheesy music in Sheffield's SU last night.

Not impressed by our hotel, though, which was like a down-market version of Fawlty Towers, and didn't so much have load-bearing walls, as load-bearing wallpaper.

Also got to meet some of the other forumites, but was far too grumpy and tired to introduce myself.

Australian
-26th March 2007, 09:10
Was good to see a few familiar faces, I did all the men's foil finals and a few semi's and ladies epee matches.

Nick_C
-26th March 2007, 12:32
was oxford missing anyone important that weekend? No disrespect to anyone - just interested in the difference in result&scores between the Varsity and BUSA finals.

pinkelephant
-26th March 2007, 12:36
was oxford missing anyone important that weekend? No disrespect to anyone - just interested in the difference in result&scores between the Varsity and BUSA finals.

Only Matthews Dodwell and Baker, and Jamie Kenber.

Northumbria were also without James Thornton.

Cambridge were without Mary Cohen.

silvercross
-27th March 2007, 08:40
Well done to the Manchester Ladies! (well, and to everyone there for that matter. Takes a lot of effort and determination to make it to the Championship weekend).

It'd be fantastic to have a British Universities Fencing Championship with all the participating unis fielding full strength squads some day...

Nick_C
-28th March 2007, 16:36
Dare I say it... well done to the Loughborough guys for making the Northern Premiership :D !! Been a long time comin'! Loughborough Ladies were less fortunate fencing away to Edinburgh :| but still put up a great fight.

Onlyepee
-11th April 2007, 16:25
Only Matthews Dodwell and Baker, and Jamie Kenber.

Northumbria were also without James Thornton.

Cambridge were without Mary Cohen.

Oxford also was without Louisa Brownlee.