PDA

View Full Version : Varsity Match

Keith.A.Smith
-25th February 2007, 11:22
Congratulations to Cambridge who won the Women's Varsity match and to Oxford who won the Men's Varsity match yesterday, held in Cambridge.

It was as usual a very spirited affair and produced some excellent fencing from both teams and in particular Alex O'Connell, Matthew Dodwell, Matt Baker, Jamie Kenber, Sophie Troiano, Georgina Osborne and Mary Cohen amongst many others.

A really good event.

Keith

madfencer
-25th February 2007, 14:10
Sounds like it was a great event - well done to them all! :mexwave: :grin:

Nick_C
-25th February 2007, 19:06
What were the scores?

axiomsofchoice
-2nd March 2007, 23:45
There's a report in this week's Varsity:

http://www.varsity.co.uk/sport/305/1/

In the print version the caption reads "Cambridge International fencer Mary Cohen in full flight", although you can quite clearly read "GREENSIDEs GBR" on Chris's back. (Extra smug-points for anyone who knows what the flags in the background read :) )

Shame about the shock men's firsts result but still was an enjoyable day's fencing. Thanks to Keith Smith for refereeing.

flaze
-22nd March 2007, 16:21
I hate to show ignorance, but what is Varsity?

Marcos
-22nd March 2007, 16:42
In this case, the Blues match between Oxford and Cambridge Universities

(the fencing equivalent to the boat-race..!)

As an aside, in April University College Dublin host Dublin University (aka Trinity College) in the Irish Colours match

as UCD and Trinity are also two of the biggest Fencing Clubs in the country, the rivalry is especially fierce...

....UCD has won the last 9 years, but this year promises to be the closest ever!

Rudd
-22nd March 2007, 16:42
I hate to show ignorance, but what is Varsity?
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

silvercross
-22nd March 2007, 16:59
Hmmmm... one of the definitions there is:

'a British abbreviation of 'university'; usually refers to Oxford University or Cambridge University '

so, you abbreviate 'Oxford', a six letter word for 'varsity', a seven letter word....:grin:

Silly definitions....

flaze
-22nd March 2007, 19:05
Hmmmm... one of the definitions there is:

'a British abbreviation of 'university'; usually refers to Oxford University or Cambridge University '

so, you abbreviate 'Oxford', a six letter word for 'varsity', a seven letter word....:grin:

Silly definitions....

Dictionary.com is fabulous, but I thought it must be some technical lingo, which only te pros know. No matter. It rolls off the tongue :)

gbm
-22nd March 2007, 20:09
Cardiff and Swansea universities also have a Varsity event (which Cardiff won last year, in the men's and women's fencing and overall as well).

silvercross
-23rd March 2007, 09:10
In the US (particularly in secondary schools) Varsity is always identified as the 1st team, Junior Varsity (or JV) is always the 2nd team. It applies to almost everything (even cheerleading)...

emberwolf
-3rd April 2007, 14:58
Staffordshire and Keele universities had their first Varsity this year- fencing was on the list this year, though both us of the Staffs team and the Keele team have appealed for it to be included next year.

Well done to both Oxford and Cambridge! I know our Men's team have fenced one of the Cambridge teams before, and they are definitely a team to be reckoned with. I don't believe we've had the pleasure of fencing Oxford though.