PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth & Southsea LPJS Foil

archer
-28th February 2007, 15:23
Just thought I'd post this. I have been trying to book accommodation in the Portsmouth area for 22nd June. nothing available as there is the Race around the Isle on. Closest available Southampton, which may go quickly, or Winchester.

If you intend to enter and need accommodation I would suggest you do it now.

Archer.

Chaffeur to the unforgiving.

Baldric
-28th February 2007, 15:52
Just thought I'd post this. I have been trying to book accommodation in the Portsmouth area for 22nd June. nothing available as there is the Race around the Isle on. Closest available Southampton, which may go quickly, or Winchester.

If you intend to enter and need accommodation I would suggest you do it now.

Archer.

Chaffeur to the unforgiving.

Try the Ibis - its very close to the venue (3 minute walk) and still has rooms on the 22nd for 56. Parking at the Ibis is rubbish, but you could probably park at the venue overnight.....

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/reservation/liste_hotels.shtml

Or if you are feeling rich, try the Queens Hotel in Southsea - they have availability for the whole weekend, but for 90+ for a double room and more for a family room. It is a cut above the usual travelodge

Baldric
-28th February 2007, 16:20
Or you might try the Roundabout Hotel in Fareham, just off Junction 11 of the M27.

http://www.infotel.co.uk/14928.htm

Still showing availability on all the relevant dates.

archer
-1st March 2007, 09:09
Many thanks for the responses. My evening will be spent in the virtual booking offices of hotels for this and other comps.

Looking forward to Portsmouth as it was an enjoyable day last year when we attended for the first time.

Archer

Without me how would they cope?

Baldric
-7th June 2007, 22:05
Bump!

Coming up the closing date, so get yer entries soon!

Entry form here: http://www.leonpaul.com/lpjs/lpjs_entry_forms.htm

Baldric
-23rd June 2007, 15:46
U13 Boys

1) Sam Ridley
2) Reuben Cohn-Gorden
3= George Hendie
3= James Brosnan

U13 Girls

1) Amy Radford
2) Chiara McDermott
3= Amy Lineham ? I think...
3= Leah (sorry, can't remember the surname)

Afraid I missed the U9 presentation.

Some excellent fencing throughout.

Roll on the U15 and U11 tomorrow.

archer
-23rd June 2007, 21:01
Congratulations to the organisers everything went well, no major hiccups. Only blemish was that Ellie seemed to have left her A, B and C game at home. Here's hoping the Essex County Junior Foil provides a better display.

Archer,

'I have a foil....and I'm not sure how to use it!'

Baldric
-24th June 2007, 15:38
U15 Girls

1 Hannah Kerr
2 Rachael Hamson

U15 Boys

1 Alex Tofalides
2 Max Milner
3 Tom Maxwell
3 Matt Fitton (I think)

Sorry not to have the U11 results.

I also have a glove marked "Much Wenlock" a "Fighting Fit" hoodie and another dark coloured, unmarked hoodie. If anyone wants to claim them, PM me, and I can bring them to Stoke for the EYC.

wear wanderers
-24th June 2007, 21:21
Thanks to the organisers, a well run competition and it was great to get finished earlier than normal - we managed to get back to our hotel to see Dr.Who !!. We came a long way but it was worth it. It was nice to see all the under 13's boys having such a good time together, even if we had to drag them away from a football game to fence. Also congrats to Reuben on an excellent return to form and Tom for his reffing.

Goodwood
-24th June 2007, 22:01
Yes, many thanks to Jenny and team for a well run event also well done to Sam for his victory, a well deserved win after his very early start. See you all at EYC's
Thanks to the organisers, a well run competition and it was great to get finished earlier than normal - we managed to get back to our hotel to see Dr.Who !!. We came a long way but it was worth it. It was nice to see all the under 13's boys having such a good time together, even if we had to drag them away from a football game to fence. Also congrats to Reuben on an excellent return to form and Tom for his reffing.

Lynne
-25th June 2007, 07:58
I'm glad it went well - sent a load of fencers fencing under lots of different club names! Had to stay and help at the Bill Hoskyns - local loyalties etc. Any chance of the results being posted so I can congratulate all the fencers at club tonight rather than the couple who bothered to text and let me know? I'd really appreciate it!

U9 Boys Foil - 1st Robert Feaster! :D

Bayleaf
-25th June 2007, 08:12
Thank you for a well run competition, with exemplary refereering throughout. Both Dill and Parsley enjoyed themselves.

SG123
-25th June 2007, 14:54
Does anyone have a full list of results for U15 Boys?

Baldric
-25th June 2007, 15:34
Any chance of the results being posted so I can congratulate all the fencers at club tonight rather than the couple who bothered to text and let me know?

I will ask Jenny, but I don't run the Hampshire county website any more (I managed to shuffle that one off!)

Will post here if I get them.

Baldric

Guinea-Pig
-25th June 2007, 15:51
Thank you to all the organisers. It was an extremely well run competition. Well done Hannah. 15-14, watch out next time!!!!!!!!!

SG123
-25th June 2007, 16:08
Yes i agree with Guinea-Pig, very well organised and thanks to the organisers for making the event run smoothly

AMC
-25th June 2007, 16:22
I was there and did two pools of U13 boys and two of U15 boys . The standard was some of the highest I have seen in the LP series. One pool contained Kristen A, George H and Toby L and it was a pleasure not a chore to preside.

The Great Four.
-25th June 2007, 16:52
Possibly the best run L.P.J.S. I have been to, many congrats. to the organisers. Tom Fletcher came third with Matthew Fitton, not Maxwell as someone earlier said.

stophit
-25th June 2007, 17:20
Thank you for a well run competition, with exemplary refereering throughout. Both Dill and Parsley enjoyed themselves.

hmmmm if only.

stophit
-25th June 2007, 17:22

exemplary refereering throughout. hmmmmm if only .

Chip
-25th June 2007, 19:52
I was there and did two pools of U13 boys and two of U15 boys . The standard was some of the highest I have seen in the LP series. One pool contained Kristen A, George H and Toby L and it was a pleasure not a chore to preside.

Thanks for the kind comment Alan.You are quite right there was some super fencing on the Saturday.The future is bright if we can keep them all at it.

Baldric
-25th June 2007, 22:42
Possibly the best run L.P.J.S. I have been to, many congrats. to the organisers. Tom Fletcher came third with Matthew Fitton, not Maxwell as someone earlier said.

I stand corrected. I had him in my pool, and I reffed his last 16 and 1/4 final fights, so I should have remembered his surname properly.

Baldric
-25th June 2007, 23:16
exemplary refereering throughout. hmmmmm if only .

Oh-oh, here we go again.

As far as I know, there were three "ref-incidents" over the weekend.

1) At one point on Saturday, a group of parents asked me if I would take over a particular u13 pool as they felt that the (adult) ref was not up to scratch. They got the bog standard answer - "go see the DT, I ref the pool to which I am sent".

From stories I heard later, it seems that this particular ref might have being a little verbally tough on young fencers - its not usually necessary to talk to young fencers roughly, one can discipline U13s better with a soft tone than harsh one. However, I am sure they will survive, and I wasn't there, and didn't see the fencers behaviour.

2) A coach challenged, and had removed, a young referee, before a DE fight started. I understand why the organisers agreed to do it, since there were a lot of refs spare by this time, but the young man in question was done a severe disservice. The objection was primarily on the grounds of youth and inexperience, when in fact the 16yr old has been fencing and reffing for longer than the coach who objected, and is a very capable and competent young referee. We are very pleased that he has volunteered to ref at the EYCs and have the utmost faith in him.

3) A very well known top foil coach objected noisily to my view that his fencer had withdrawn his arm in the course of his attack and was caught with a valid stop hit. He was 20 ft behind his fencer. I was 4 ft away, and at right-angles to the action. Oddly, he didn't object when I called a very close back-line decision in his fencers favour :whistle:

Pink Elephant gave some very good advice on another thread about criticising refs. I think she said:

a) Be there, and have watched the fight
b) Be a qualified referee
c) Still don't do it!

Lets just recap - out of over 100 fencers, in 4 agegroups and two genders, over an entire weekend, I know of 3 issues where refs were questioned. If you think you can do better than those stats, then please come to the refs course at the Southern Region Development Day, get your qualification and come ref next year, to help us do better.

Baldric

Hungry Hippo
-26th June 2007, 17:37
Don't think any of these incidents were noticed by most of the people there; I can only echo all the comments from earlier in that it was a superbly well run event, with only the minimum of breaks between the poules and DE's.

Everything was well wrapped up by Mid-afternoon, including the presentations, and got away in time to miss the Goodwood crowd spilling out!

Hearty Congratulations to all involved (inc. the armourer, who always gets left out!), and well done!

Evil Rock
-26th June 2007, 18:43
I think that the overall organizing of the competition was excellent and the spaces between poules were very short (I didn't have time to eat my sandwich!) but on behalf of my friend he thinks that the refereeing was poor, but I don't! Overall great competition!

SG123
-27th June 2007, 15:57
haha which friend was that Tom?

Shaka
-28th June 2007, 11:03
Is there a full list of results anywhere??

ChiaraMcD
-3rd July 2007, 16:49
U13 Girls

1) Amy Radford
2) Chiara McDermott
3= Amy Lineham ? I think...
3= Leah (sorry, can't remember the surname)

Leah King came 3rd. She did some excellent fencing!!!

Red
-3rd July 2007, 16:58
but on behalf of my friend he thinks that the refereeing was poor, but I don't!

Ha! A rather pathetic excuse for losing.

The Great Four.
-8th July 2007, 17:39
Has anyone any idea when the results are going to be put up on the L.P. website, it has been quite a while.

archer
-8th July 2007, 22:38
From correspodence I had with Ben recently I understand that he has been in the US for a competition. should be back this week.

Archer

The Great Four.
-15th July 2007, 14:55
There are still no results up on the L.P. website. It's been over three weeks. What is going on?

Baldric
-15th July 2007, 15:03
There are still no results up on the L.P. website. It's been over three weeks. What is going on?

I have been trying to get them, but Jenny is not answering emails, so I suspect that she is away.

U9 results are up, which makes me think that they were submitted, but maybe there was some corrupt data or something?

archer
-15th July 2007, 22:44
Just checked the U13 Girls rankings and results incorporated. so I assume all the results should be there.

Archer