PDA

View Full Version : Well a little more than 12 hours in the end! Sorry folks!

wingnutLP
-14th March 2007, 13:17
Well apologies for the longer than planned outage...:whistle:

At least it has given some of the sadder members of the forum to tear themselves away from their screens for a day or two!!

The migration was a little trickier than expected as the host and the domain were managed by REALLY old and over complex systems. We are now running the latest version of vBulletin and I will see if there are any nice new features when I get a sec.

I am afraid that there may be a few more funny issues as we integrate the site with a new content managment system. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Stephen Chivers
-14th March 2007, 13:57
Go on, admit it: you never really thought it only take twelve hours!

Stephen Chivers
-14th March 2007, 13:58
Sorry, that was just a fairly pointless post to test that the site was working properly: much as this is from a different PC.

Gangsta G
-14th March 2007, 14:54
I was having withdrawal symptoms :(

Lynne
-14th March 2007, 14:58
Good to be back! I actually did some work! Aargh! :eek:

wingnutLP
-14th March 2007, 15:04
The pathetic speed of the site is to do with "something" that they are doing with their hosting managment system :rolleyes:

I have used the host for other sites and it is normally quite fast so hopefully we should be up to a sensible speed soon...

And I have just seen that there are yellow and red cards under peoples avatars, this could be fun :)

Lynne
-14th March 2007, 15:08
And I have just seen that there are yellow and red cards under peoples avatars, this could be fun :)

Where? Where? :grin: Not that I'm a frustrated referee, or anything! ;)

Boo Boo
-14th March 2007, 16:37
Am I the only person who has to sign back in (despite ticking the "remember me" box) every time they come back to the site now?

Boo

D'Artignan
-14th March 2007, 16:39
Nope. I get that as well. Never mind, it burns up some calories. Just log in a few times and you've burned off a chocolate bar...:thumbs_up

Boo Boo
-14th March 2007, 16:51
Nope. I get that as well. Never mind, it burns up some calories. Just log in a few times and you've burned off a chocolate bar...:thumbs_up

A few million times maybe... :eek:

You better not log on too much then, you are so slim you will waste away... ;)

Boo

D'Artignan
-14th March 2007, 17:01
A few million times maybe... :eek:

You better not log on too much then, you are so slim you will waste away... ;)

Boo
I've told you before that I'm athletic. :rolleyes:

Boo Boo
-14th March 2007, 17:23
I've told you before that I'm athletic. :rolleyes:

Oh ok then... be careful with logging on too often then, you will end up with incredibly "athletic"/muscular clicking fingers... :whistle: :grin:

Boo
(had to eat an apple because of the "calorie burn" of typing this reply...)

D'Artignan
-14th March 2007, 17:34
Oh ok then... be careful with logging on too often then, you will end up with incredibly "athletic"/muscular clicking fingers... :whistle: :grin:
I'm already muscular - they're just not very well defined or developed.:nanananan

Think I'd better go before Boo decides to kill me next time she sees me....:whistle:

wingnutLP
-14th March 2007, 17:39
Am I the only person who has to sign back in (despite ticking the "remember me" box) every time they come back to the site now?

Boo

That would be really annoying!! Works fine as always for me... let me guess, you are using Internet Explorer?

Try bookmarking this
http://fencingforum.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew
as this will just give you a new page of all the new posts since last visit. Works for me fine if some members are still having problems let me know.

husy
-14th March 2007, 19:09

Well I can't see them.

Can one of you nice mods post the new features and how to use them please?:not_worth :not_worth

Lucan
-14th March 2007, 20:42
What is with the stars and stripes

http://www.tulbol.demon.co.uk/copy.jpg

Steve
-14th March 2007, 21:59
Ya, noticed that everything's linking through leonpaulusa.com and has been since the start of the switchover. Could have been for much longer for all I know, but just noticed it in the last couple of days.

Stars and stripes are gone but noticed this:

http://www.leonpaulusa.com/tempforum/forum/

Would suggest we're still not finished with the changes?

gbm
-14th March 2007, 22:49
When I get an email from a thread saying 'a reply has been made on a thread to which you are subscribed' etc., the link is to:
www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever,
when it should be
www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever
and I keep having to intersperse the /forum bit to get the links to work.

Rdb811
-14th March 2007, 22:57
Ya, noticed that everything's linking through leonpaulusa.com and has been since the start of the switchover. Could have been for much longer for all I know, but just noticed it in the last couple of days.

Stars and stripes are gone but noticed this:

http://www.leonpaulusa.com/tempforum/forum/

Would suggest we're still not finished with the changes?

When I get an email from a thread saying 'a reply has been made on a thread to which you are subscribed' etc., the link is to:
www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever (http://www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever),
when it should be
www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever (http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever)

That's handy - a multi-qoute icon - next to quote.

TLove
-15th March 2007, 01:32
Hehe, when upgrading, I just keep the site offline until it's all done ;)

I don't think between VBull. 3.5 and 3.6 there are many (if any) new features which need explaining as such. It'll all be much the same for end users. The real difference will be when admin installs the new CPMS :)

Gangsta G
-15th March 2007, 03:35
www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever,
when it should be
www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever
and I keep having to intersperse the /forum bit to get the links to work.Aha. That would explain why whenever I click on a link from an email I get a 'website cannot be displayed'

I'm having the same problem as Boo and D'art, having to sign in every time

Also the smilies don't work for me (although they didn't before, I think that may be a problem with my settings but not sure what) and the pictures that used to be at the top of the screen have turned into little red crosses

Not that I'm complaining... ;)

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 09:15
There are not many new features TBH, the multi quote and you will find a few bits and pieces in cser cp. Nothing ground breaking or life altering like rep!!:whistle:

The forum is in a temporary location in a subfolder of the LP USA site at the moment. Basically, the server we were on used an old version of PHP and we had to move it to upgrade to this version of V bulletin (the forums software). It has been stuck in a temporary location while a whole new site integrated into and based around the forum is developed on a totally nesw server. I will try to get the issue of the links sorted. Not sure why it woul dbe signing you out all the time :( can you post what browsers you are using please?

Stephen Chivers
-15th March 2007, 09:24
No problem with Firefox 1.5 but IE7 forgets me every time I quit the site.

rugmike
-15th March 2007, 09:29
'Ere, no lines - how are you supposed to get on't right thread when you come back from't pub then ?

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 10:04
www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever (http://www.fencingforum.com/showthread.php?t=whatever),
when it should be
www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever (http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=whatever)

This should be sorted now, just a simple setting in the setup.

The issue with logging in is a bit trickier...

The other thing I noticed is that the address bar in the top stays fixed as I navigate around :( not sure why are others having that?

Lynne
-15th March 2007, 10:13
Yes, navigation bar/address bar stays the same wherever I am in the forum.

madfencer
-15th March 2007, 11:20
It stays the same for me too wherever I am on the forum and like mentioned by another forumite the pictures (well links via pictures) at the top of the pages are red crosses (they still work as links though, you just can't see the pictures)....although that might just be our **** school computer as I could see them for a bit before.

Great that the forum's back up, I was starting to miss it! Although I was visiting Plymouth Uni yesterday so I didn't have internet access so my withdrawl symptoms weren't that bad!

madfencer

ps. Like the multi-quote function - great idea - very handy! :)

Baldric
-15th March 2007, 11:52
I have the logging in problem as well - also running IE7

I can see the "multi-quote" button, but nothing happens when I click it.

Best of luck with getting it all sorted. :not_worth

Lucan
-15th March 2007, 12:01
When I start I get the small FF in the tab bar then every other page has the stars and stripes.

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 12:36
Links at the top should be sorted :)

The login I am sure is a fault with IE rather than a problem with the forum itself. Try tools | windows update and patch to the latest version of IE. I don't think that it is anything I can fix in V Bulletin I am afraid :(

The favicon (little flag or FF) will probably be stuffed until we migrate to our final server in around 4 weeks time.

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 12:42
I can see the "multi-quote" button, but nothing happens when I click it.

It is for mutti quoting different people in the same thread. Click it on the post you want to quote and it shoul go red then click it on the next post you want to quote and finally click the reply button. It should open up a reply with all the selected quotes in it so you can respond to different quotes.

Also the little button next to the quote will now take you to the original post :)

Asprin
-15th March 2007, 13:08
The address bar stays the same unless I send the link to a new tab, when in the new tab I get the address of the page I'm on.

I haven't had any problems with being logged out and the forums FF has appeared on all of my pages so far. I'm running FireFox 2.0.

TLove
-15th March 2007, 17:28
The address bar stays the same unless I send the link to a new tab, when in the new tab I get the address of the page I'm on.

That's just a serverside setting - nothign to worry about

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 17:43
the wierd thing is that if you know the address of the forum on the LP USA folder the address bar at the top works fine. I think it is something to do with the redirect when you enter fencing forum not pointing to the root but rather a subfolder...

No idea how to fix it :(

TLove
-15th March 2007, 17:56
The control panel provided by your domain name host should have an option regarding running the website in frames or no. Given the current address abr, I would say you are running it framed.

Andy W.
-15th March 2007, 20:33
I use IE7 and I have to log in each time I visit as well..

TLove
-15th March 2007, 23:56
admincp --> vbulletin options --> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Are you now running two forums from the same domain or somesuch? That can cause issues if you save your cookies in the root of your webspace, which is the vBulletin default.

Either that or you had custom settings here and the update reset them.

wingnutLP
-16th March 2007, 10:34
I think this goes back to the frames problem :(

If you use th "real" addres sof the forum at the moment http://leonpaulusa.com/tempforum/forum/ the cookies work fine in IE...

Twisted_Sabreur
-16th March 2007, 11:06
Everything works fine for me and I'd just like to say well done to everyone involved. I'm sure there will be oodles of glitches but it's a fairly smooth switch for most people by the sounds of it. Definitely worthy of a pint or twelve

hokers
-16th March 2007, 11:34
I'm logged out every time I come back to the forum, despite having ticked the box each time. Anyone else getting this? Wasn't a problem before the change.

wingnutLP
-16th March 2007, 12:20
I'm logged out every time I come back to the forum, despite having ticked the box each time. Anyone else getting this? Wasn't a problem before the change.

Read this thread!! In short IE is lame, the forum is in a temporary folder and is being shown in a "frame" IE gets upset. If you use the link in my post above it shoudl work OK but all of you rURL's in your address bar will read leonpaulusa.com/tempforumetc...

Twohat
-16th March 2007, 17:15

I found that I wasn't actually logged out, just presented with the page inviting me to log in - if you click on one of the forums, it takes you there and says welcome, and you can then click on New Posts or whatever as normal without actually having to login again. (Almost as much bother as logging in again, but WTH)

gabriel
-16th March 2007, 18:28
To deal with this logging in (third party cookies) problem in IE7, you can explicitly allow cookies from the domain leonpaulusa.com.

To do this, go to:
Tools > Internet Options. Select Privacy tab, click Sites. Type leonpaulusa.com into the Address of Website box, and click Allow. Bingo.

cainey
-16th March 2007, 22:16
When the site first came back up I was amazed how naked it looked without the usual images across the top, just shows how powerful peripheral vision is in percieving quality. Sat here now I would struggle to say what all of the images link to but I know they are there!

cainey

Lynne
-17th March 2007, 00:02
I have to log back in if I've closed IE down, but at least it has stopped logging me out when I leave the forum running in the background and try to get on with some work! :whistle:

Saxon
-17th March 2007, 20:12
No problem here, IE7/XPSP2 on default settings.
Ho hum.

Aidan
-18th March 2007, 02:23
Works nicely in Safari - but then, most things do. What a long couple of days it was without FF. I almost found myself working!
A

27ab1c
-19th March 2007, 09:11
At work, using IE5.1 for Mac, I've had no 'remember me' problems at all, but at home on the PC, using IE7, it still doesn't know who I am from one post to the next.

wingnutLP
-19th March 2007, 09:49
To deal with this logging in (third party cookies) problem in IE7, you can explicitly allow cookies from the domain leonpaulusa.com.

To do this, go to:
Tools > Internet Options. Select Privacy tab, click Sites. Type leonpaulusa.com into the Address of Website box, and click Allow. Bingo.

Anyone on IE 7 tried this?

Exgeordielass
-19th March 2007, 10:06
Finally able to get into Fencing Forum this morning using Firefox, still no joy with IE, we have version 7. Tried suggestions mentioned in this thread but still no joy.

:whistle:

But I can use smilies :)

Hurrah for Firefox!

Saxon
-19th March 2007, 10:20

It should work, but I have not, on my default (medium-high) security settings, had to do it.

On a side note, I just love it when people b*tched about Internet Explorer 6 and below, then when a more secure, more hand-holding version is brought out, and again they b*tch because it breaks their favourite sites, which are doing all sorts of dodgy things that earlier version of this and other browsers let them get away with
:)

Mainly, of course, because they deliberately broke the security settings because they thought they knew better...

Lynne
-19th March 2007, 11:13
I tried it and it seems to work. :)

TLove
-19th March 2007, 14:26
It should work, but I have not, on my default (medium-high) security settings, had to do it.

On a side note, I just love it when people b*tched about Internet Explorer 6 and below, then when a more secure, more hand-holding version is brought out, and again they b*tch because it breaks their favourite sites, which are doing all sorts of dodgy things that earlier version of this and other browsers let them get away with
:)

Mainly, of course, because they deliberately broke the security settings because they thought they knew better...

Heh. I just go with "frames are crap, don't use them" ;)

27ab1c
-19th March 2007, 16:28

leonpaulusa.com was already listed among my 'accept' cookies, but removing it and then adding it anew seems to have done the trick.:)

Skippy
-20th March 2007, 14:31
I can't even load the site on my home pc any more, only at uni... :mad:

Asprin
-20th March 2007, 14:34

Poor you, you'll just have to go to uni more.

TLove
-20th March 2007, 15:43

noooooooo..... ;)

hokers
-20th March 2007, 16:20

If you look at the average numbers of visitors and views to the forum I think there's still a bit of a problem with some browsers.

" Currently Active Users: 33 (13 members and 20 guests)
Most users ever online was 234, -9th January 2007 at 10:37 AM."

TLove
-20th March 2007, 16:22
That's not too bad.

The "most users" figure is generally an artifact of search engine bots/spiders.

wingnutLP
-20th March 2007, 18:23
What error message are you getting?

You have hit F5 and Ctrl + F5?

Alex

Skippy
-20th March 2007, 20:25

Oddly enough, an (as yet untested) full service seems to have been resumed! :thumbs_up

So no more going to uni for me!!! :nanananan

Exgeordielass
-21st March 2007, 00:07
Still can't get in using IE and Firefox keeps telling me the connections has changed before it lets me log in. :mad:...ranting

etuz
-21st March 2007, 21:18
I find that sometimes when I log-in, the forum would act like logging me in but then when I look at the top left hand corner of the screen at the user name boxes there are two blank boxes. Then if I scroll down I find I’m listed as on-line.

wingnutLP
-23rd March 2007, 11:06
Sorry for the problems. They are as far as I can tell frames related and will go away after we move th eforum to it's final location in 3 weeks or so. Please bear with us...

Alex

Skippy
-23rd March 2007, 16:21
Oddly enough, an (as yet untested) full service seems to have been resumed! :thumbs_up

So no more going to uni for me!!! :nanananan

And as soon as you think you've got away with not having to go to see lecturers and deal with library fines what happens... :dammachin

Although...

Sorry for the problems. They are as far as I can tell frames related and will go away after we move th eforum to it's final location in 3 weeks or so. Please bear with us...

Alex

:grin:

Aidan
-23rd March 2007, 17:01
Oh! Now it doesn't remember me (on Safari). Boo!
A

Touché Turtle
-23rd March 2007, 23:44
There you all are!!!
Well I have only just found you. My home computer and my hubby's laptop have both been unable to find the forum at all using IE7 or MSN Explorer. All we got was a white page. I just assumed the site was having problems and wasn't back from upgrade. Only having spoken to someone tonight and being told it is ok have I downloaded Firefox and found you.
How come some people can access through IE7 but I can't?

Asprin
-24th March 2007, 00:51
How come some people can access through IE7 but I can't?

Because your special?

I cannot access it through IE but can through Firefox and Firefox emulating IE.

Baldric
-24th March 2007, 00:55
I can access it through IE7 but at home it remembers me, although at work it doesn't. Might be something to do with the IE settings?????

Firefox works from both locations for me.

Skippy
-26th March 2007, 14:22
Firefox is working for me this afternoon... :)

Asprin
-26th March 2007, 14:43
Firefox works for me but I have random pictures replacing smilies and buttons.

Spider5
-26th March 2007, 17:13

To do this, go to:

This works.

Baldric
-28th March 2007, 16:29
Having happily used Firefox since the forums little upgrade, now I can't post at all using it.

I can log in, and even construct a post, but when I click "submit" everything freezes. Same on a PM.

Ideas?

KJK
-28th March 2007, 16:35
Firefox works for me. Did on the old server as well.

Asprin
-28th March 2007, 16:38
Having happily used Firefox since the forums little upgrade, now I can't post at all using it.

I can log in, and even construct a post, but when I click "submit" everything freezes. Same on a PM.

Ideas?

It works for me but I have weird pics replacing smilies and the formatting is a bit weird, I can read and post though so I'm happy.

Exgeordielass
-30th March 2007, 22:09
Firefox works on about the third reload, no luck with IE. Seem to be able to post and it does remember who I am.:whistle:

PM1
-31st March 2007, 12:33
I can post but have to log in each first time I want to do so. No hassle.

Touché Turtle
-31st March 2007, 19:03
Still no access at all with our IE7.
Has anyone got any ideas why? I'm guessing it's something to do with the computer setting rather than IE itself, seeing as others appear to be using it ok. It was perfectly ok before the update, and I've not done anything new to the computer.
I'm not overly fussed as I now go through Firefox, but I'm wondering how many people out there trying to find the forum for the first time are getting nowhere and giving up. I can't imagine I am the only one this is happening to.

hokers
-31st March 2007, 21:09
The level of inactivity on the forum since the move is a sure sign that a large percentage of users are not able to access it any more, probably because they're using IE7. Really needs sorting, the cookies thing as well.

madfencer
-1st April 2007, 00:08
I am using IE7 and as you can see, FF is running fine for me! No real problems at all.

Asprin
-1st April 2007, 01:05
I am using IE7 and as you can see, FF is running fine for me! No real problems at all.

Maybe IE7, likes you!

Captain Penguin
-1st April 2007, 16:31
Well I'm still back in the dark ages and use IE6 here and from the office and I have to log in every time as well.

I have had problems with another website I used to visit regularly, and they recently went over to Joomla (am I right in thinking we're on Joomla here?). Their admin has a collection of mails from people who can't get even the front page and the common factor is IE and they have no idea what the problem is.....

Joe Snr

TLove
-1st April 2007, 19:10
Fencing Forum doesn't run any CMS at the moment, Joomla or otherwise.

I believe part of the upgrade is CMS implementation.

Andy W.
-2nd April 2007, 12:32
I think this goes back to the frames problem :(

If you use th "real" addres sof the forum at the moment http://leonpaulusa.com/tempforum/forum/ the cookies work fine in IE...

I was having problems in IE7 then followed the above advice and everything has been fine since.:)

Captain Penguin
-2nd April 2007, 20:50
Fencing Forum doesn't run any CMS at the moment, Joomla or otherwise.

Oops!:o: Maybe I'd better start paying attention to what I'm reading....

Joe Snr