PDA

View Full Version : Anonynmity and the forum...

wingnutLP
-15th March 2007, 17:14
One of the features we will be adding to the forum is a proper competition entry system.

This will be linked to your username but you will have a new profile within the system we are installing. When you enter a competition via the forum you will obviously at some point have to enter your real name and BFA number etc... it will also send this to the organiser (a forum member with the new "role" of "competition organiser"). It will keep a live list of entrants on the site so you can see who has entered on line.

The question is do we keep the real names of entrants for the organisers use only or do we make them public in the list?
The public list could be:
1 Username only
2 username+real name
3 Real name only

If we use either of the first two then we can do lots of other cool things like show in the user profile what events each user had entered via the forum and allow them to show their position maybe photos and other fun stuff.

If we go with option 2 which is my preferred method and someone really wanted to use the on line entry system but also REALLY wanted to keep their forum ID anonymous they could always be really sad and create a new fake forum name just for competition entry...

Please note we may ignore the results of this poll!!

gbm
-15th March 2007, 19:19
I voted 'Real names only', because originally I thought that in the absence of an option to hide your name, anonymity is important, but now I think about it I can't think of any reason why (adults) should have to have this on the forum in general...

D'Artignan
-15th March 2007, 19:24
Given that just about all the regulars know who the others are (or, at least their names) I really don't see the need for anonymity for adults either, though it probably should be kept for all those wee kiddies who want to join. This probably means I'm actually agreeing with someone for once, but what the heck...

Gangsta G
-15th March 2007, 19:51
It is useful to know who else is going to a competition you're going to (to give an idea of NIF etc) and would also be interesting to know which forumites are going. However I'm sure some on the forum don't necessarily want everyone to know who they are. So I haven't decided how I'm going to vote just yet...

Dave Hillier
-15th March 2007, 20:41
Personally I am against anonymity on the forum in general. British fencing is a small enough world that anonymous rantings and ravings generally aren't (as it is usually fairly easy to work out who people are) and only end up hurting the comunity.

You should use your real name if you really believe what you say is true.

TLove
-15th March 2007, 22:39
Yes, but as you can't actually FORCE people in an internet forum to use their REAL names without an absolute load of hassle (credit card verification anyone?), anonymity is the name of the game. A real-looking false name is no more use than a nickname :)

However, when we get the entry system, then yeah, real name plus nickname would be cool. Those who want to stay anonymous can simply not enter any comps via the system.

Gav
-15th March 2007, 22:45
Not this again.

You can't force people to identify themseleves. The concept of anonymity in an internet forum - especially when it has the population of a medium sized village - is a red herring.

In addition you should really ask consent to retain any information that may identify a person to the wider community - let alone the real world. And then you have the murky aspect of Child Protection...

Dave Hillier
-15th March 2007, 23:26
Not this again.

Sorry, anonymous rants tend to annoy me. But that seems to be what the internet was built for.

Baldric
-15th March 2007, 23:55
Sorry, anonymous rants tend to annoy me. But that seems to be what the internet was built for.

Sometimes anonymous rants annoy me too, but that is not a reason to deny anonymity to people. Lots of things annoy me, but my prejudices are not a sufficient reason to limit other people's choices.

As Gav and D'Art mentioned earlier - its a small community, and most forum regulars know who each other are.

However, the forum consists of a couple of hundred or so relatively regular contributors, and about 2,500 other members who may want to use this service, but post only rarely, if at all. There are also an unknown number of "lurkers" - members of the fencing community but not signed up forum members, but who nevertheless use the forum as a source of information. They might like to sign up in order to use the entry system, but probably would rather retain their anonymity.

If we take away anonymity, then we create another barrier to participation for very little gain. If you want to know who a poster is, PM them and ask. If they don't/won't reply, then you are entitled to discount their opinion if you wish. Its that simple.

Baldric

PS - I have just discovered that a "Baldric" is a supporting strap for a sword holder. How very appropriate!

Gav
-16th March 2007, 00:01
I have just discovered that a "Baldric" is a supporting strap for a sword holder. How very appropriate!

You've only just discovered this?

Baldric
-16th March 2007, 00:04
Another thought on the forum entry system.

Would it only allow you to enter yourself (ie the forum member)?

Lots of members are parents or coaches - I would want to enter junior, not myself, (don't think I could pass for a cadet WF, even in poor light)

Since about half of competitive fencers are kids, and presumably the parents are doing the entry forms, it would be better perhaps to keep it as a service, or allow opting in/out of any wider exposure? Would that be technically possible?

Baldric
-16th March 2007, 00:06
You've only just discovered this?

'fraid so.

My username came from my daughters perception of my dress sense being the approx equivalent of the Black Adder character.

Many apologies for my ignorance of medieval sartorial terminology. :whistle:

Rdb811
-16th March 2007, 00:57
Personally I am against anonymity on the forum in general. British fencing is a small enough world that anonymous rantings and ravings generally aren't (as it is usually fairly easy to work out who people are) and only end up hurting the comunity.

You should use your real name if you really believe what you say is true.

Agree totally - as usuual, we have the worst of all possible worlds where everything is semi- anonymous and can be mis-attributed (i.e a post can be thought to come form teh wrong "real-world" person).

Cottontail
-16th March 2007, 07:55

Lots of members are parents or coaches - I would want to enter junior, not myself, (don't think I could pass for a cadet WF, even in poor light)

Since about half of competitive fencers are kids, and presumably the parents are doing the entry forms, it would be better perhaps to keep it as a service, or allow opting in/out of any wider exposure? Would that be technically possible?

Exactly what I was about to post until I read this. (Apart from the comment about passing for a cadet WF, in my case I would have to pass for a junior ME, just as impossible, especially when in gets down to the fencing).

I would love to use an online entry facility, but hopefully a free one.

wingnutLP
-16th March 2007, 08:10
Not this again.

You can't force people to identify themseleves. The concept of anonymity in an internet forum - especially when it has the population of a medium sized village - is a red herring.

In addition you should really ask consent to retain any information that may identify a person to the wider community - let alone the real world. And then you have the murky aspect of Child Protection...

We can force them :) IF they want to use the on line entry system. They have to enter a credit card number which means we have to have access to their real name. I guess you mean shouldn't?
Consent is not an issue as we will have a disclaimer when you enter the comp stating theat we will keep records. If you don't like it you can always get your cheque book out and post your entry...

This is a very good point... originaly the plan was that it would only let you enter, I am now not sure and will have a look today at what is possible.

For youth competitions we can hide the names if it is a child protection issue.

I would love to use an online entry facility, but hopefully a free one.
like ticketmaster? ;)
I am afraid that it will not be free as LP will incur costs that we wouldn't if we didn't offer the service eg credit card transaction charges. It will be offered at a favorable rate, much like the hundreds of sets of scoring apparatus that go to events each weekend :)

Baldric
-16th March 2007, 08:25
I am afraid that it will not be free as LP will incur costs that we wouldn't if we didn't offer the service eg credit card transaction charges. It will be offered at a favorable rate, much like the hundreds of sets of scoring apparatus that go to events each weekend :)

I don't have a problem paying a small fee for the convenience. Its worth a quid or two to not have to find chequebook, envelope, stamp, working pen and then traipse down to the post box. Particularly if you can confirm receipt of entry immediately - either by email or by posting on a list on a website.

Cottontail
-16th March 2007, 08:31
I am afraid that it will not be free as LP will incur costs that we wouldn't if we didn't offer the service eg credit card transaction charges. It will be offered at a favorable rate.....

Fair enough, I'm just being mean! Convenience must outweigh the hassle. Also I am always wondering if entries have been received or not, so it will be a small price to pay!