PDA

View Full Version : masks??

symon
-2nd October 2003, 14:36
ok guys just been browsing the web for inspiration for all this equiptment needed and noticed something!!!...........Now either im having a blonde moment !!! or im just baffled by all the jargon or is there a significant difference between foil/epee and sabre mask??..................well im dumb founded anyway:rolleyes:

Gav
-2nd October 2003, 15:00
Symon, I've moved this because you are really looking for some equipment help.

There is no difference between steam Foil/Epee/Sabre masks. They are al the same thing - a fencing mask.

When it comes to electric there is no difference between Foil and Epee but the Sabre mask is quite different.

This is because of target area.

Foil and Epee bothe exclude the bib and head as target - so it is not necessary to have different masks.

In Sabre the target area is anywhere above the waist. Because of the nature of Electric Sabre the electric Sabre mask is covered in Lame. This makes it unsuitable for Foil and Epee (mainly because of the cost).

Hope tha helps.

Rdb811
-2nd October 2003, 23:25
Additonally epee/foil masks are coated, which gets scratched when fencing sabre.

Moose
-7th October 2003, 17:52
Originally posted by Gav
Foil and Epee bothe exclude the bib and head as target - so it is not necessary to have different masks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the head a target at epee?

Mantis
-7th October 2003, 22:20
Originally posted by Rdb811
Additonally epee/foil masks are coated, which gets scratched when fencing sabre.

<Pedant>Epee masks do not need to be insulated.</Pedant>

Moose
-7th October 2003, 23:09
Lol they also get scratched at Epee, not to mention dented.

Rdb811
-7th October 2003, 23:11
<Pedant2> I said they were coated, not insulated. Also I said they were, not needed to be.</Pedant2>:chair:

Moose
-7th October 2003, 23:17
There is a difference between the two. for I was once coated in treacle, but as a result ended up insulated in a rubber room with just a net connection :grin:

Tihon
-8th October 2003, 07:25
Rubber room you say, eh? Mine was covered in foam LOL

cheers

Tihon