PDA

View Full Version : Atheltics follows Fencing's lead

thedoc
-24th March 2007, 12:29
As i know you all love a good chat about qualifying marks for World Championships, here is an article of some interest for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6470059.stm

Essentially, UK Athletics is taking a similar approach to qualification that BF takes. If you aren't going to be really competitive, then they don't want to know.

Perhaps BF is a trailblazer after all.

rugmike
-25th March 2007, 22:38
P'raps I'm not up to date Senior qualifying standards, but isn't it still min1 x L16/ 2x L32 ? ( Sorry,just 2 lazy to look it up.)
In other words, a qualifying result must still be achieved to be sure of selection?
Or has the olympic P/way thing changed all this - to what looks like (from the report on the athletics moves) a process that must involve a lot more subjectivity from selectors ?

MRWFFC
-26th March 2007, 13:30
I think that UK athletics have made a brave decision, but I would go further.

Competitors in most sports can be divided into the following categories

1. Good athletes who are just short of (and will probably never achieve) true world class. This may be the result of many things (lack of talent, mental frailties, lack of quality coaching during formative years etc etc)

2. Truly world class performers (ie would be ranked in the worlds top 10).
Many UK sports also have healthy numbers of young athletes who just might have the potential to achieve true world class.

3. Young athletes who may (or may not) develop into truly world class performers.

MRWFFC
-26th March 2007, 13:42
oops sorry didn't finish post!

could a moderator remove it?

Lynne
-26th March 2007, 13:51
I think that UK athletics have made a brave decision, but I would go further.

Competitors in most sports can be divided into the following categories

1. Good athletes who are just short of (and will probably never achieve) true world class. This may be the result of many things (lack of talent, mental frailties, lack of quality coaching during formative years etc etc)

2. Truly world class performers (ie would be ranked in the worlds top 10).
Many UK sports also have healthy numbers of young athletes who just might have the potential to achieve true world class.

3. Young athletes who may (or may not) develop into truly world class performers.

4. Answers on a postcard, please! :grin:

D'Artignan
-26th March 2007, 14:03
4. Young athletes who are psychic?:tongue:

wingnutLP
-26th March 2007, 14:15
oops sorry didn't finish post!

could a moderator remove it?
Just copy and paste it into a new post :)

rugmike
-29th March 2007, 09:07

4) Old athletes who are down the pub ?