PDA

View Full Version : Download Fencing Demo Game.

kingkenny
-3rd October 2003, 14:53
Please give me some feed back please:

http://www.leonpaul.com/download/games.htm

Just download the zip file and then run Blademaster.exe
Set up the keyboard controls and have a play.

Gav
-3rd October 2003, 14:59
I can't get it to work.

Jambo
-3rd October 2003, 15:18
Interesting, it seems a bit random as to who gets the point though. And the save replay thing after every point is annoying.

kingkenny
-3rd October 2003, 15:28
Yer i don't like the save after every point but.

Gav do you have a graphics card and or open Gl?

Dave Hillier
-3rd October 2003, 15:38
I can get to the point where I have to choose who I want to be then I won't go any further. I can't select a team or just accept the UK.

Gav
-3rd October 2003, 15:43
That probably explains it <slaps head> - I'm at work. We've got integrated graphics chips but they are rubbish. What's the minimum spec?

Jambo
-3rd October 2003, 15:57
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
I can get to the point where I have to choose who I want to be then I won't go any further. I can't select a team or just accept the UK.

Are you using space to select?

As for power needed, it ran like a sick dog on my (not that) old desktop, it seems quite demanding.

doobarz
-3rd October 2003, 16:28
Don't forget to set your keys....

In my 3 mins, I scored one hit. Was OK, but dead dead slow....

Dave Hillier
-3rd October 2003, 16:39
ah yes I was being dumb my fault.

Robert
-4th October 2003, 11:29
Originally posted by Kingkenny
Please give me some feed back please:

http://www.leonpaul.com/download/games.htm

Just download the zip file and then run Blademaster.exe
Set up the keyboard controls and have a play.

Reset that demo time to about 6 minutes, so we can have a real go.

Unfortunately most of my response is negative:

Way too slow (fencing is a quick sport).
Controls seem awkward and hard to use.
There doesn't seem to be anything to indicate when you start.

Nice idea, long way to go.

Robert

Robert
-4th October 2003, 11:52
The movements of the fencers are rubbish. The person designing them has no idea how people fence.

When I attack the fencer bobs up and down in the most ridiculous manner (I expected a direct smooth extension of the arm).
When I lunge the back arm movements are bizarre and I recover entirely from the front leg (with an almost completely straight back leg, I'm not sure that is even possible), also the fencer telegraphs the attack by kicking their front font in the air and leaning back.
The parry is terrible (with the elbow being brought behind the back).
The step back involves all sorts of silly up and down movements.

I suggest you motion capture a few real fencers because our clubs beginners fence better than this.

Sorry this is getting quite so negative but basically the game is rubbish and needs a lot more work.

Robert

Muso440
-4th October 2003, 14:26
Originally posted by Robert

When I attack the fencer bobs up and down in the most ridiculous manner (I expected a direct smooth extension of the arm).
[...]
I suggest you motion capture a few real fencers because our clubs beginners fence better than this.

I dunno, it sounds quite an accurate description of some of our beginners.... (They are about 11 years old though.) Bloody murder to fence. :confused:

Jambo
-4th October 2003, 14:28
I did laugh that only the winner salutes at the end.

whizzkid1982
-6th October 2003, 09:54
i thought it wasn't that bad. if you look at the attempt on britishfencing website is much better than that. its looks ok. the bouncing up and down, well it is eppe!!!:grin:

it did feel a bit random on occaisions as to who got the point, but you are able to work distance quite nicely. i got a couple of killer tempo hits!!!

why are the major fencing nations (france hungary russia) not included?

my character does not always appear to do what i ask it. when i press lunge he sometimes just extends his arm whilst oppenent lunges to hit, does so and i get nada.

Robert
-7th October 2003, 09:00
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
i thought it wasn't that bad. if you look at the attempt on britishfencing website is much better than that. its looks ok.

I might have been a bit negative. Here are a few suggestions:

Turn the view through 20 degrees so you are looking from slightly behind your fencer, that way you can see the lateral movement of your blade.

Change the controls. They should emphasize the blade and not the fencers body. So 4 controls for blade up/down/left and right, maybe even link it to the mouse. Then two controls, step forward, step back. Then a lunge and extend arm control.

And lastly motion capture some real fencers for the actual moves.

Robert

neochrome
-7th October 2003, 09:46
Its a little slow - but for a beta its coming along.
More moves - or more complex moves would be good.

If its open GL - how about a Mac Version ?

For a nice smooth ( if not excesive ) computer fencer -

check out "Raphael" in Namcos Soul Calibre 2

harry
-9th October 2003, 20:09
there so much more work needed . . .

why is it the fencer never stops walking forward? not exactly exciting when they walk onto the point.

aao
-10th October 2003, 09:17
while I admire the sentiment and effort that is behind trying to put together a fencing game, my only comment having played it is, oh dear.......

While I accept (and seriously hope) that it is only at an early stage the graphics look like something out of the very early nineties, the speed is shocking and the perspective gives no sense of depth, oh and as for the execution of the moves, well even on the sunday of the excalibur people don't move that slowly!!!
The kind of speed and graphics that people now come to expect as the norm from games are a massive step above this as is the ai which controls the opponent.

My advice would be to either ditch the graphics option and go for a much simpler representation of a fencer (ala say the old prince of persia games ((sheesh I'm showing my age!!)) but which moves far quicker and more smoothly, or really go down the route of getting the game properly developed to take advantage of the current level of graphics available, maybe with a different perspective (i.e. through the mask or over the shoulder) with the mouse used to control the swords movements and the keyboard soley used to move the fencer forwards and backwards.

Unfortunatel things like this while well meant, are rarely worth doing unless done well. :(

Mischa
-11th October 2003, 10:40
It's actually one of the worst games I've ever played.

danishfencer
-16th October 2003, 11:19
that game is really Annoying!!

it sucks and the control doesnt work

try to get some proffesionels like EA sports to make a game, based on fencing. a good one.
cause this game, is really a black spot in the fencing world

sparkymark567
-20th October 2003, 16:17
I can't get it to work either. My mouse cursor disappears, when I move it on to the window. And the game doesn't respond to my keyboard either. I get as far as select country.

Would be fairly easy to add a maximize minimize thing aswell.

James
-20th October 2003, 16:44
sparky - at the beginning go into the setup menu(can remember if it is setup but its something like it) and go to controler setting and change it to keyboard rather than mouse.should work after that.

personally ive never been a fan of sports related games.the lack a certain amount of depth and playablility and what you actually control is always rather limited. i'd say go for a fun cartoon style.simple 2-d graphics and over the top posh twits and tight breaches with funny posh accents.in fact a while back i played a really great game - turkey death match. it was an email based turn by turn game. you'd select someone to challenge. then select 5 attacks and 5 defensive moves. the person you challenge would get an email. after which they pick 5 attacks and 5 defensive moves. you then get to watch a little graphic of the turkeys taking turns to attack while the other defends. if the defensive move matches the attack then no damage is done if it does then damage is done according to the area hit.

much fun

apologies with no-sensical babbling
James

sparkymark567
-21st October 2003, 09:46
I'm starting to feel sorry for Gav here. It probably took him ages to get this far.

Thanks for the coffee break, but I'll leave it, ta.

Gav
-21st October 2003, 10:28
Originally posted by sparkymark567
I'm starting to feel sorry for Gav here. It probably took him ages to get this far.

Thanks for the coffee break, but I'll leave it, ta.

To be honest I haven't had the chance to download it at home. So you've got a lot further than me!

Aoife
-26th October 2003, 16:28
I can't open it. :upset:

It tried to open in the wrong program or something.

"Couldn't display "Blademaster.zip" because a suitable graphics importer could not be found."

It's trying to open it in something called PictureViewer (which I think is a Quicktime program).

doobarz
-26th October 2003, 18:03
Originally posted by Aoife
I can't open it. :upset:

It tried to open in the wrong program or something.

"Couldn't display "Blademaster.zip" because a suitable graphics importer could not be found."

It's trying to open it in something called PictureViewer (which I think is a Quicktime program).

You need WinZip or similar to unlock the files.

Aoife
-26th October 2003, 20:09
WinZip eh?

Where could I get WinZip? (thinking about it, I have trouble opening all downloaded zip files :( )

doobarz
-26th October 2003, 20:20
Originally posted by Aoife
WinZip eh?

Where could I get WinZip? (thinking about it, I have trouble opening all downloaded zip files :( )

Go to www.winzip.com - there is a free evaluation version. I'm sure other unzipping tools are available, but this one is free (for a while at least).

Aoife
-26th October 2003, 21:00
Ta. I'll see if it works now.

<fingers crossed>

uk_45
-1st November 2003, 17:26
Originally posted by doobarz
(for a while at least).
The free one goes on for ever well after a while it moans at you abit but doesnt stop working

Chris Morgan
-14th February 2004, 19:42
Dam 55k.. takes ages to download the most simple programs like this! getting broadband next wednesday tho should be better. (finally!)
:tongue:

uk_45
-14th February 2004, 19:46
Think you'll fing its called 56K although the odds of getting a 56K connection on dail up is the same as winning the lotto

uk_45
-16th February 2004, 21:14
Ok i really don't understand that special moves list!

oddball
-10th March 2004, 09:56
Ten years into the future it may have downloaded...