PDA

View Full Version : Fencing in and around Guildford and I have travel problems...HELP!!

Bonzolium
-4th October 2003, 19:18
I have just moved down to the University of Surrey to do my postgraduate studies and I was wondering what fencing there was in and around the area, which the Guildfordians (if that is the correct term) attend.

The reason for me asking is that now I am down here, I do not have a car and hence have various travel issues if I want to go to a club which is a little further a field.

I do know there is a club over at UniS and that there is a club over at the Spectrum sports centre which is somehow commutable by bus.

But I was wondering if any Guildfordians living in Guildford traveled out of town to any clubs (e.g. Aldershot). Hence, if by bus or train, which one do they take and if by car, would it possible to hitch a lift (obviously petrol money would be the first thing sorted out).

If it is possible for a lift to be sorted (i.e. if it is not absolutely miles out of your way) could you's PM me, hence to finalise or nigh-on finalise an arrangement

Cheers

Steve A

doobarz
-4th October 2003, 21:38
I went once to Guildford FC when I was there - they were all very friendly. Don't know about the other local clubs, but my friend down that way has said buses are pretty lame....

www.guildfordfencing.co.uk would be a good place to start, or exgeordielass knows quite a bit about GFC.

Bonzolium
-4th October 2003, 22:59
Thanks for the link doobarz, have had a look at multi-map and it seems a fair way away, hopefully there is a bus service close to the venue as I shudder to think of the escalating taxi costs, but cheers for the link.

Also one other extra point which I forgot to mention is that I am a junior coach so if anybody in and around the region is in need of my services then again PM me, cheers.

Muso440
-5th October 2003, 09:25
Hi Bonzolium

Where exactly are you living? ie. what area of Guildford. If you tell me/ us, it might help (PM if you like)

THe options are:

UniS club: sunday night coaching, thursdays (I think) free fencing. Almost certainly a bus, but as I don't know where you're living...

Spectrum: Tuesday nights. Bus ditto. I drive there from Woking (5 miles north of Guildford) so if you were on my way I could pick you up.

Guildford FC: Friday nights, Burpham.

Try this for buses:
http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnlistr.asp?O=ARRIVAG

Probably not the best site but all I could find at short notice!

Slightly further afield: Woking FC, thursday nights coaching, friday free fencing. If you're near to Guildford train station, there's trains to Woking, then it's about 15 mins walk (or, again, I for one could give you a lift from the station). I know of at least two people in the Woking club who drive up from Guildford, but I'm not sure where they live exactly. Could ask if you like.

Aldershot: thursdays I think (ask srb) Less easy by public transport, but I know someone from the Woking club whose husband takes their children there on thursdays, and they live in Guildford. Again, could ask if you like.

Any help? Which weapon are you incidentally? Several of the above don't do sabre.

Bonzolium
-5th October 2003, 16:22
Hey Muso

I am living on the UniS campus, in the new brand-spanking accommodation block built solely for the post-graduates (needless to say it is a bit plush! :) ).

Hence, the reason fo me not having my car down here (an ickle blue Skoda which I love to bits and starting to miss) as due to the absolute premium of space on the campus, I do not have anywhere to park it.

The UniS option is definitely one which I am pursuing as I will be going there later on tonight...I was just wondering where else in and around the region fencing went on as to join in or to coach (if there is such a position available for it).

I will get a train timetable to see what the trains are like from Guildford to Woking as I may well take up your offer of fencing on either one of those nights if it is feasible to get down there and get back to Guildford. Will definititely be in contact soon via PM.

Cheers

Steve A

Muso440
-5th October 2003, 19:44
Originally posted by Bonzolium
I am living on the UniS campus, in the new brand-spanking accommodation block built solely for the post-graduates (needless to say it is a bit plush! :) ).

Is that the one that looks like a space ship?

The UniS option is definitely one which I am pursuing as I will be going there later on tonight...

How was it? If I'm right in thinking that Steve (with red-ish hair, forgot his surname) is the coach there, he's the same guy who coaches at the Spectrum.

I will get a train timetable to see what the trains are like from Guildford to Woking as I may well take up your offer of fencing on either one of those nights if it is feasible to get down there and get back to Guildford.

Probably not hundreds of trains, but not impossible either. It's only about 5-10 mins on the train, once you've got to the station. And you never know, you might only have to do it once, if you come and discover all the people who live in Guildford and can give you a lift!

Let me know if you want more info or anything anyway.

:fencingsm

srb
-5th October 2003, 20:40
Steve Davey (the man with red-ish hair) is the man to talk to about fencing in Guildford. I think he coaches at the Uni as well as at Spectrum and Aldershot. Details for him are on the Surrey County website at:

http://scfu.homestead.com/Clubs.html

Aldershot is predominantly a foil club. There are a couple of good female epeeists, but they tend just to come for lessons, as it is not that often that they are both there at the same time.

srb

hokers
-6th October 2003, 13:40
Its got to be Guildford FC, all the best people go there :grin:

We've got a reasonably good range of people in all weapons, and a nice new hall to fence in. Dont know about public transport, but it shouldnt be impossible, its not that far out of guildford.

hokers

Muso440
-6th October 2003, 16:03
Originally posted by hokers
Its got to be Guildford FC, all the best people go there :grin:

Hey watch it, Hokers, I got there first! ;)

Not to mention that Woking has a bargain extra-night's-fencing-free, whereas Guildford costs more or less the same but only meets once a week.

hokers
-6th October 2003, 16:18
Yeah but our website's better than yours! :tongue:

Muso440
-6th October 2003, 16:31
True, but you can't fence on a website :tongue:

Bonzolium
-6th October 2003, 20:04
Originally posted by Muso440
Is that the one that looks like a space ship?

No, it doesn't really look like a space-ship, the one which looks the most like a spaceship is the European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (EIHMS) (which is also referred to as the Titanic for a similar reason as above)

Originally posted by Muso440
How was it? If I'm right in thinking that Steve (with red-ish hair, forgot his surname) is the coach there, he's the same guy who coaches at the Spectrum.

Yep, that was the guy, as already stated by srb. It seemed to go well enough, there were tons of beginners and novices there so they were having one big class lesson with him, I hopefully will be able to go to Aldershot thursday and get some fencing in there, if transport isn't too bad (Unfortunately, I can't make spectrum tomorrow).

With regards to Woking, Muso, I will "eventually" nip down the station and get a timetable and hence inform you's as soon as I know if the train is a viable option or not. Thanks once again for the offer

Originally posted by hokers
Dont know about public transport, but it shouldnt be impossible, its not that far out of guildford

Had a look on multi-map and it is about 4 miles from where I am, will have to have a better look at the bus timetable to see what is available

Thanks all for the posts, it is nice to see such a kind and endearing bunch of people

Muso440
-6th October 2003, 20:36
Originally posted by Bonzolium

With regards to Woking, Muso, I will "eventually" nip down the station and get a timetable and hence inform you's as soon as I know if the train is a viable option or not. Thanks once again for the offer

You know that you can get such things on the internet these days? Try either thetrainline.com, or qjump.co.uk, or the South West Trains site has the whole timetable as pdf files (or something like that).

Had a look on multi-map and it is about 4 miles from where I am, will have to have a better look at the bus timetable to see what is available

Ah, but the problem with the Aldershot club is that it actually meets several miles outside the town, in a little village called Normandy. (At least it did last time I heard about it.) Probably about one bus a day goes there. But maybe srb knows someone who drives there from the town centre?

Thanks all for the posts, it is nice to see such a kind and endearing bunch of people

Gee shucks! :o

Bonzolium
-9th October 2003, 21:34
Right here is the plan...well, part of a plan at least

After weighing up my options, I will definitely be going to the Uni fencing at least once a week.

The thing is now that I am down at uni here, I have not (yet) been able to establish a set pattern of work/leisure time (needless to say with the study I am doing the hours are flexible but long and at times I will not be here).

So, in turn it would be foolish of me to go along and sign up to various clubs when it may not be feasibly possible to get there (with regards to my work).

So, what I will do is just do the uni fencing (currently, just the Sundays) and I will see how my schedule works out, then I may look to increase the amount of fencing I do per week.

Many thanks again for all who contributed, I will undoubtedly, be in touch with Muso440, hokers and exgeordielass at some stage in the future when I can finally work and plan out my time!!

Thanks again

Steve A