PDA

View Full Version : World Championships 2003

doobarz
-5th October 2003, 20:54
OK, results are at http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/Esg_MenuI.htm

Program is: (if my Spanish is up to standard)

5/10

Women's Foil (individual) Poules & elimination
Men's Epee (individual) Poules & elimination

Mon 6/10

Men's Sabre (individual) poules & elimination
Women's Epee (individual) poules & elimination
Women's Foil (individual) 64 - Final
Men's Epee (indivdual) 64 - Final

Tues 7/10

Women's Sabre (individual) poules & elimination
Men's Foil (individual) poules & elimination
Men's Sabre (individual) 64 - final
Women's Epee (individual) 64 - final

Weds 8/10

Women's Sabre (individual) 64 - final
Men's Foil (individual) 64 - final

Thurs 9/10

Men's Epee Teams
Women's Foil Teams

Fri 10/10

Women's Epee Teams
Men's Sabre Teams

Sat 11/10

Women's Sabre Teams
Men's Foil Teams

doobarz
-6th October 2003, 08:23
Women's Foil (68)

Seeding after poules

1 VEZZALI ITA
2 TRILLINI ITA
3 GRUCHALA POL
4 MOHAMED HUN

30 Eloise SMITH GBR
32 Camille DATOO GBR

Both won 4 of 6 matches.

Men's Epee (160)

85 Tom CADMAN GBR 3/6
89 Jon WILLIS GBR 3/6
97 Jon WILLIS GBR 3/6

All qualified

reposte
-6th October 2003, 13:55
Where did you get the results? The site simply says that the info is yet unavailable?

3 Card Trick
-6th October 2003, 18:17
That would be Lane 97 then.

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 00:26
The semi-finals for women's foil/men's epee are as follows:

Women's foil:
Vezzali/Mohamed
Gruchala/Scarlat

Men's Epee:
KHVOROST Maksym (UKR) / ZAKHAROV Vitali (BLR)
ROBEIRI Ulrich (FRA) / JEANNET Fabrice (FRA)

Am afraid that I don't know how the British fencers did yet...

Boo

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 01:17
1 JEANNET FRA
2 KHVOROST UKR
3 ROBEIRI FRA
4 ZAKHAROV BLR

86 Tom CADMAN GBR
87 Jon WILLIS GBR
107 Tristan LANE GBR

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 01:29
WF - website not updated yet
ME - See above

MS

After Poules (84)

1 POZDNIAKOV RUS
2 TARANTINO ITA
3 COVALIU ROM
4 FERJANCSIK HUN

54 James WILLIAMS GBR 4/6

WE After Poules (120)

1 FLESSEL-COLOVIC FRA
2 DUPLITZER GER
3 HEIDEMANN GER
4 MACKAY CAN

55 Georgina USHER GBR 4/6
96 Sam MARTIN GBR 2/6

reposte
-7th October 2003, 08:25
I swear to god Games Chambers went on air drunk yesterday. Did you see that? How many times did he get the names wrong?
Switching Vezzali with Trillini; Calling Bojko Boychko, Gruchala - Gruchalas because her name was written "Gruchala s.".
Then, at the finals, it took him some six touches to realize he got the wrong sides...
All those names, btw, he pronounced faultlessly last year.
Maybe it was just jet lag?

pinkelephant
-7th October 2003, 09:05
He NEVER spotted that the off target lights were coming up the wrong way round, either.

reposte
-7th October 2003, 09:27
Ja, what was THAT all about? I guess the American embargo is having an unsolicited effect.

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 09:39
Hhhmmm, I was wrong, apparently Youcheva and Bojko were allowed to fence....

Well done Camy (L32) and Elly (L64).

http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/FFClasGeneral.htm

Boo

harry
-7th October 2003, 09:54
i see the usual high standards of british senior fencing results is coming through?! make me so proud . . . . .

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 10:02
Well the only answer to that, Harry, is go there and do better if it is so easy :)

Boo
(thinks that considering the set-up and support for fencers in this country - compared with many other countries - the results are actually an achievement... it is very competitive out there, especially in men's epee)

3 Card Trick
-7th October 2003, 10:46
B oo Boo the Russian WF only got back in after a major stink and the personal intervention of Roch.

The Russian ME were not so lucky and didn't get to fence, so no defending WC.

Aeroclot!!!!

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 11:00
Hhmmm, hope that the FIE are not being inconsistent in its treatment of WF and ME: although my guess is that, since the WF event started later, somehow they managed to slip in on some technicality whereas the ME didn't...

I read somewhere that Air France were to blame and not Aeroflot.

Boo

3 Card Trick
-7th October 2003, 11:48
"I read somewhere that Air France were to blame and not Aeroflot. "

Ah! An international conspiracy then!!!!

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 13:00
1 VEZZALI ITA
2 GRUCHALA POL
3 MOHAMED HUN
3 SCARLAT ROM

28 DATOO GBR
40 SMITH GBR

reposte
-7th October 2003, 14:25
"I read somewhere that Air France were to blame and not Aeroflot. "

Who else? Dare we name a French conspiracy...?

Btw, I don't mean to sound conceited, but I can't make out what Jeannet was grinning about at the podium. If it were me there, I could never shake the thought that the real champion wasn't there.
I mean really, Kolobkov IS the ONLY that can withstand Jeannet. To put him out of the competition virtually guarantees a win for J'.
I can imagine which federation scrubbed the initial green light for Kolobkov.

My hearts with Gruchala. She ought to have won this. the terrible flaws in her attack (I believe I wrote my opinion on it on in this section
at Craig's thread) cost her the gold. I wonder how Gruchala's like in person. She seems so nice on piste, always shaking hands in mid boot when she thinks she was too aggressive and that Polish Cavalry spunk on her make her I think a true sight to watch other then the obvious.

Exgeordielass
-7th October 2003, 15:42
Results finally up:

Camille Datoo got a last 32 and finished 28th; Eloise Smith was 40th.

Tom Cadman was 86th; Johnny Willis 87th and Tristan Lane 107th.

Least Keith Smith can be seen as a floor judge in the men's epee final. The men's final was a close match.

Exgeordielass
-7th October 2003, 15:59
Well, hopefully, I don't just repeat previous postings this time.

After poules:

Georgina Usher is ranked 55th and Sam Martin 96th in the Ladies Epee.

James Williams is ranked 54th in the Men's Sabre.

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 16:12
Unfortunately neither George or Sam made the L64 :(

(Neither of them are on the L64 tableau - http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/EFTabla%20de%2064.htm )

James made it through to the L64 though :)
( http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/SMTabla%20de%2064.htm )

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 17:00
I feel redundant!

I quit my job to update the FencingForum massive on World's results....

Good work by the foilists, James has a tricky fight but having done training camp with him, I'm sure he'll do it right!

To be honest, I'm not sure how good the ME results are - the entry was huge, and obviously of a high standard - what were the expectations? And the list on the BFA website doesn't include Sam Martin - was she a late addition? Though the foil team is not listed....

aao
-7th October 2003, 17:17
To be honest I think the boys will be dissapointed with their results as while the entry is huge its no bigger than that or a large A-grade and it tends to be a bit weaker as the top nations can only send 4 fencers and alot of weaker nations e.g. india, qatar etc send a full team.
On the other hand the luck of the draw has alot to do with it and it really depends on who they got in the DE (I think Tris got Milanoli! ((who Tom did great to beat in the poules!!!!!!!)).
All those who went there are capable of getting to the L32 of the event, so its a shame but it happens. have high hopes for them in the team though :)

The same can probably be said for all the other weapons so the girls epeeists (especially Georgina) will also be dissapointed not to have done better.

Exgeordielass
-7th October 2003, 17:32
If I understand the rankings properly, Georgine was 55th seed and was presumably beaten by Weiwei Shen of China, who is now listed as 55th seed. Shen is now in the last 16 - so presumably was a very bad draw for Georgina. If that's how it works

Sorry to steal your thunder, Doobarz. Least you found the site for us all :tongue:

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 17:47
Was actually quite tricky to find - think I ended up 3 links away from the BFA site - the FIE was hopeless....

Boo Boo
-7th October 2003, 17:53
Sorry Doobarz - just get a bit bored sometimes, so post too much...

Think aao is very right: they will be disappointed, but there is a fair amount of luck of the draw involved. Although there are more "easier" countries around, than in many A-grades, it also gets very difficult very quickly. A bad draw can end somebody's day much earlier than it should :(

Good luck to all the fencers/teams yet to go :)

Boo

whizzkid1982
-7th October 2003, 21:16
QUOTE (AAO)

alot of weaker nations e.g. india, qatar etc send a full team.

Turkey???

doobarz
-7th October 2003, 21:25
After poules (124)

1 WESSELS GER
2 VANNI ITA
3 CASSARA ITA
4 JOPPICH GER

28 KRUSE GBR 5/6
56 MANSOUR GBR 4/6
82 BEEVERS GBR 2/5
88 HALSTED GBR 2/6

Exgeordielass
-7th October 2003, 23:09
However, only Richard Kruse made it through to the 64 :upset:

James Williams was knocked out in the 64 of the sabre.

Rdb811
-8th October 2003, 00:21
It's begining to read like the first day of the Somme....

PM1
-8th October 2003, 01:14
Naf presenter said he had no idea where James had been placed because there had been a D notice placed on the results....WHAT???? so someone is appealing or what??

Tihon
-8th October 2003, 08:29
Let me contribute to this one. I just saw the results, one of our foil fencers, Ozren Debic, made it to the 64. He is said to be the best of all in Croatia as he made it on WC into 32 before, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

cheers

Tihon

Australian
-8th October 2003, 10:00
an aussie made in into the 16 in men's epee!!!!

Seamus Robinson, 12th.

its so good for him - he was junior world champ a few years back, but his senior results haven't been nearly as good

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 10:24
1 LUKASHENKO UKR
2 COVALIU ROM
3 FERJANCSIK HUN
3 MONTANO ITA

5 POZDNIAKOV RUS
6 TARANTINO ITA
7 DIATCHENKO RUS
8 PASTORE ITA

54 WILLIAMS GBR

Looks like Italy will be top seed for the teams then....

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 10:31
After poules

1 JACOBSON USA
2 ARGIOLAS FRA
3 JEMAYEVA AZE
4 NETCHAEVA RUS

24 BOND-WILLIAMS GBR 4/5
53 NICOLL GBR 2/5
55 LACHETA GBR 2/5
59 ESIMAJE NGR 2/6 (Salle Boston's Premier Sabreur)

STEVENSON GBR - did not qualify

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 10:35
Everybody apart from Car made the L64:
- Louise seeded 24
- Chrystall seeded 53
- Jess seeded 55

Also a special mention for Jacqui Esimaje - who fenced for Nigeria, but who fences foil at Salle Boston and sabre at LTFC - who made the cut at 59th seed. This is fantastic because getting a L64 at the Worlds has greatly improved her chances of selection for the Olympics (for the African zone) :)

Good luck to them today :)

Boo

Prometheus
-8th October 2003, 10:58
Looks like Laurence's Meat Pie diet has taken it's toll......

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 11:14
Originally posted by Prometheus
Looks like Laurence's Meat Pie diet has taken it's toll......

He does read this you know...

aao
-8th October 2003, 11:49
No Turks alas, we just didn't think the competition was of high enough standard to be worth going too :cool:

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 11:50
Originally posted by aao
No Turks alas, we just didn't think the competition was of high enough standard to be worth going too :cool:

Shame on you aao - you really should slum it some time and go: its Cuba, could work on your tan at the same time ;)

Boo

hokers
-8th October 2003, 13:34
And there I was wondering why Emma Hynes and Jacqui weren't at Kingston last night, good luck to them both.

I thought the Ukranian girl deserved the win in the WE, she was unlucky a couple of times.
Isnt the footwork good! Puts mine to shame I can freely admit!
Lesson to all the beginners, fundamentals make all the difference.

hokers

oreillyg
-8th October 2003, 13:58
Also a special mention for Jacqui Esimaje - who fenced for Nigeria, but who fences foil at Salle Boston and sabre at LTFC - who made the cut at 59th seed. This is fantastic because getting a L64 at the Worlds has greatly improved her chances of selection for the Olympics (for the African zone)

Doesn't this demonstrate how Olympic qualification in fencing, like many other sports, is biased against Europeans, who are by far the strongest participants.

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 14:04
Originally posted by oreillyg

Doesn't this demonstrate how Olympic qualification in fencing, like many other sports, is biased against Europeans, who are by far the strongest participants.

But the Olympics is all about anyone being able to qualify, but I agree it is harder for the Europeans.....

aao
-8th October 2003, 14:07
Originally posted by Boo Boo
[B]Shame on you aao - you really should slum it some time and go: its Cuba, could work on your tan at the same time /B]

Quite true quite true who knows I might lower myself to attending it in 2005 but then again if I wait to 2006 the Europeans are in Turkey anyway so I won't have to bother trecking across the world to get there :)

anyway its rather sunny out here in Turkey at the mo an nice 28degrees and sea is lovely :cool: (this of course is only relevant on the weekends as I can;t seem to get out of the bl**dy office till 7 at the earliest :( )

oreillyg
-8th October 2003, 14:10
I agree that everyone should have the chance to qualify but it should be ensured that the best participants are at the Olympics. By having guaranteed places in sports like rowing, fencing and hockey for teams from Africa and South America seems a tad silly. If they qualify in their own right through a global ranking well and good but in rowing for example it is just ensuring South African qualification. Why not have qualification based on a global system rather then a regional quota?

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 14:18
Its not exectly "biased" against Europeans, its just tougher if you are a European.

Still, it would be unfair NOT to have an African Zone. Probably just selecting off of World rankings would be the fairest way to do it, I guess. But I imagine that the IOC must have some rule that says that all conitinents must be given the option of being represented at the Olympics.

Olympic qualification is just a nightmare anyway - it wasn't that long ago, that countries could send full fencing teams. Unfortunately it is probably a matter of time before it is gone altogether (replaced by ballroom dancing, synchronised aerobics, skateboarding and several other sports that haven't even been invented yet...)

Its down to where you were born and/or where you live. This could be a very valuable opportunity for Jacqui and she is a lovely person, so am 100% behind her :)

South America is in the "Americas" zone: so they have to compete with the North Americans for the places (both zonal ranking place/s and zonal qualifying competition place/s). It's like Australia and New Zealand are in the "Asia/Pacific" zone, so have the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese in their zone.

Boo
(could almost consider moving to HKG - although that wouldn't help with the Olympics - AND they don't have a women's foil team/programme...)

reposte
-8th October 2003, 14:25
So, does anyone know the last 4 for tonight's MF and WS?

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 14:31
As the fights in the 64 have not been completed yet (time difference) NO.

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 14:32
No - men's epee started the L64 started about an hour ago, women's sabre L64 doesn't start for about another 4 hours...

http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/Calendario.htm

So no-one knows the L4 yet...

Boo

Marcos
-8th October 2003, 14:36
we should go back to every country being able to send a team, rather than this talent nonsense -

in fact Ireland should be able to have two teams

reposte
-8th October 2003, 14:55
How much time rest do the finalists actually get between fights?

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 15:16
Kruse has beaten Marsi and so is now in L32 where he will fence Gomes of Portugal.

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 15:21
Where do you get your results from 3CT? (or is telepathy one of your talents?)

Boo

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 15:27
Okay...

http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/FMTabla%20de%2064.htm

:o

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 15:29
Shucks Boo Boo I was gong to claim telepathy.

Let's hope he progresses, he deserves it.

Prometheus
-8th October 2003, 15:43
Kruse is now in the L16 having won L32 15-11

Cool, lets hope he doesn't swear at anyone!!!:rolleyes:

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 15:44
Looks like your wishes are coming true - Richard is through to the L16 (bt Gomes 15:11). Now has the winner of Choi (KOR) or Peterson (DEN) - things are looking good :)

Hopefully no repeats of the last time he was in Havana, though :(

Boo

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by Prometheus
Cool, lets hope he doesn't swear at anyone!!!:rolleyes:

Or throwing his mask (and it hitting the person operating the scoring equipment...)

Prometheus
-8th October 2003, 16:30
Let's hope his point control doesn't get as [in]accurate as his mask throwing!!! ;)

kingkenny
-8th October 2003, 16:54
:fencingsm

Go richard

:mexwave:

Exgeordielass
-8th October 2003, 16:57
Opponents now known - Kasper Peterson of Denmark - anyone know anything about him?

Good luck Richard

:sun:

Prometheus
-8th October 2003, 17:05
There was an incident at the 2002 Slough Open when a Danish fencer was blackcarded by Robert Kiss (coincidently whilst fencing Richard).

The fencer ran up to Robert and gave him a big smacker of a kiss! Apparently he was upset with Robert's presiding.....and subsequently received a black card for his troubles.......

Unfortunately I can't remember the Dane's name, but probably not the same fencer.......anyone else remember??

rory
-8th October 2003, 17:07
I suspect his name was "moron".

Mistake no. 1) Think Robert's refereeing's wrong - it's not. You are.

Mistake no. 2) Take the piss out of a very experienced referee and fencer.

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 17:08
And if my world time knowledge is right, that fight should be done by now.... should of started at 16.40 UK time....

rory
-8th October 2003, 17:09
And the result is... Richard makes the L8 (15-12)!
Opponent either Ludwig or Joppich...

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 17:13
Cool - does anyone have a mobile number to text support to anyone out there???

Marcos
-8th October 2003, 17:13
actually, going back to a proper weapon, did anyone notice that the spanish sabreurs al crashed out a round or two sooner than expected - Pina and Medina both were L64

strange but true

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 17:17
Originally posted by Marcos
actually, going back to a proper weapon, did anyone notice that the spanish sabreurs al crashed out a round or two sooner than expected - Pina and Medina both were L64

strange but true

Hadn't noticed, odd indeed.....

rory
-8th October 2003, 17:31
It's Peter Joppich in the L8.

Has anyone else noticed that we have 3 Italians in the last eight? Impressive.

(Incidentally, isn't a last eight the best result we've ever had at a Senior Worlds? I know Fi McIntosh got one before, but has anyone bettered this?)

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 17:35
3 Italians in the L8 of the Men's sabre too....

Exgeordielass
-8th October 2003, 17:37
Seeded 4 and German, is Joppich as good as he sounds?

Anyone keeping an eye on the ladies sabre? Have they started eliminating yet?

:tank2:

Exgeordielass
-8th October 2003, 17:43
Anyone else notice that Andre Wessels, number one men's foil, was knocked out in the l16?

Prometheus
-8th October 2003, 17:46
Peter Joppich is also number four in the World rankings at the end of last season.......

PM1
-8th October 2003, 17:47
come on, come on - how's it going ?????I can't pick up the web site for results for some reason.......:eek: :eek:

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 18:23
Richard is now in the Last 8.

PM1
-8th October 2003, 18:29
....and he fences Joppich when ?? It's not on now tho', is it ???

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 18:47
Sadly the run has ended. Richard will be ranked 8th.

I think his is a brilliant result and thoroughly deserved.

Exgeordielass
-8th October 2003, 18:59
Got knocked out 15-13. So close!

Still very good effort - nearly made the cameras.

.:party:

PM1
-8th October 2003, 19:19
Bad luck, but what a brill result, having said that. Guess I'll have a look at what's hapenning at 11.30 tonight anyways..........;)

pinkelephant
-8th October 2003, 21:26
Originally posted by rory

(Incidentally, isn't a last eight the best result we've ever had at a Senior Worlds? I know Fi McIntosh got one before, but has anyone bettered this?)

Bill Hoskyns and Allan Jay were both World Champion in the 1950s. Gillian Sheene won the 1956 Olympics.

reposte
-8th October 2003, 22:29
You don't mean senior individual do you?

Boo Boo
-8th October 2003, 23:32
Yes, the British used to take a number of medals...

http://sportsfacts.net/history/fencing/world_championships/fencing_world_champions.html

(sorry can't find anything more uptodate or including women's results - must be on the FIE site somewhere)

Boo
(who occassionally sees Allan Jay at a local club)

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 23:41
click on the 'fencing' tab on the side, or just start here... http://sportsfacts.net/history/fencing/fencing_history_index.html

PM1
-9th October 2003, 00:56
Ah well, if Richard had to go out, it's as well it was to Joppich....good final ?? I quite enjoyed the matches tonight. I'm about to wash my mouth out with soapy water, but the sabre looked pretty impressive to a mere mortal like me.....and I think Mr Chambers was a bit better tonight - he did have to work with no score at one point, and was actually correct on his guess....and it is foul lighting from as telly viewers point of view, I think. ;) ;)

doobarz
-9th October 2003, 08:09
And sabre takes another soul.....

hokers
-9th October 2003, 08:11
We really need to see more of the slow motions with a bit of analysis a la test match cricket. Thought the commentator was better last night, but still bad. First time I saw a couple of decisions that I thought were definitely wrong though. Thought the Romanian girl was a bit lucky to win the WS though, 14-14 after being 13-7 ahead, thats choke-tastic.

I think the biggest difference is that the presidents can decide priority on hits most of us would expect to be given together. I'm also a bit confused by the interpretation of the attack on the preparation. We've established that for a valid tempo hit at sabre, you have to hit your opponent before their final hand action begins, right?, thats the rule. But from some of the decisions (perhaps they were just wrong) last night, it looked like the president was giving priority to the retreating fencer who started their attack first. Anyone else think that?

Nice to have it on TV though. Serious kudos to Kruse though, thats a big big result.

Hey wow, didnt spot this one!

13 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise GBR

Thats bloody good, L16 for Louise! Lost 15-12 to Tan, from seeded 24th!

hokers

doobarz
-9th October 2003, 08:14
1 MIHAI Dorina ROM
2 TAN Xue CHN
3 MARZOCCA Gioia ITA
3 SOCHA Aleksandra POL

13 BOND-WILLIAMS Louise GBR

54 NICOLL Chrystall GBR
55 LACHETA Jessica GBR
59 ESIMAJE Jacqueline NGR

70 STEVENSON Caroline GBR

doobarz
-9th October 2003, 08:16
1 JOPPICH Peter GER
2 VANNI Simone ITA
3 CASSARA Andrea ITA
3 GUYART Brice FRA

5 SANZO Salvatore ITA
6 ATTELY Loic FRA
7 SCHLOSSER Roland AUT
8 KRUSE Richard GBR

71 MANSOUR David GBR
87 BEEVERS James GBR
91 HALSTED Laurence GBR

doobarz
-9th October 2003, 08:19
Seem to be doing well.

MF - 2 L8
ME - 2 L16
MS - 3 L8
WF- Champion and 1 L8
WE - 1 L4
WS - 1 L4

tigger
-9th October 2003, 08:44
Yes, but who leads the medal table? UKRAINE! If only Kiev wasn't so bloody cold I could go and visit my cousins and train there for a year....sigh.

I think the Italian public will look on 1 gold as a failure. They'd better pick up some team ones (which looks likely) or they'll have a slating in the press!

Anyone else utterly gob smacked that Lukashenko won the MS?? I would have had at least 8 others ahead of him.

tigger
-9th October 2003, 08:45
also well done to LBW, She always pulls it out on the big occasion.

Kruse an Olympic medal prospect???

doobarz
-9th October 2003, 09:14
Originally posted by tigger

Kruse an Olympic medal prospect???

Has to be I reckon.

Keep working on Cornish independence mate, the the World will have something to fear...

Marcos
-9th October 2003, 09:37
Looking at the results you can almost feel the tension - so many bouts going 15/13 and 15/14

for instance, the one Irish fencer, Byrne in WS, got into the L32 by winning 15/14, only to get knocked out to 12 by the 4th seed.

veeco
-9th October 2003, 15:19
Originally posted by reposte

I can imagine which federation scrubbed the initial green light for Kolobkov.

Please, do tell us!

FYI, the 3 federations that scrubbed the green light for Kolobkov were Italy, Germany, and Hungary...

Prometheus
-9th October 2003, 15:22
Richard's result only goes to show what a talent he has - I remember Ziemik W remarking on how natural a fencer Richard is post the Euro Juniors that he won.

Going back to Laurence's thread on sponsorship, I hope the BFA try and nurture Richard's talent...........definitely, IMHO, well worth the investment...........

Boo Boo
-9th October 2003, 15:23
GB Men's Epee went out in the L16 in Havana - 45:33 (I think) to Spain :-(

GB appears not to have entered a team for Women's foil (strange because they were a couple of times, guess they changed their minds again... :rolleyes: )

Boo

reposte
-9th October 2003, 15:52
FYI, the 3 federations that scrubbed the green light for Kolobkov were Italy, Germany, and Hungary...

I stand corrected, doesn't make me like the French any better.... :tongue:

doobarz
-10th October 2003, 10:38
I haven't been able to get the team results from the website, anyone got any updates???

Boo Boo
-10th October 2003, 10:46
Women's Foil

Gold = Poland
Silver = Russia
Bronze = Romania
4th = Italy!?! (bet there were few tears there...)

GB did not enter a team (after a few months of indecisiveness...)

Men's Epee

Gold = Russia
Silver = Germany
Bronze = Sweden

GB went out in the last 32 to Spain (I was wrong earlier, when I posted that they had made the L16...) - they finished 23rd.

Boo

Boo Boo
-10th October 2003, 10:48
No British teams fencing today (its women's epee and men's sabre).

Good luck to women's sabre and men's foil tomorrow :)

Boo

doobarz
-10th October 2003, 10:52
Indeed. Cheers Boo Boo. I want EuroSport.

Might have to start taking supporters to World's & European's (Olympics are a bit pricey) - who want's to share a bus?

srb
-10th October 2003, 10:58
Originally posted by PM1
I'm about to wash my mouth out with soapy water, but the sabre looked pretty impressive to a mere mortal like me

Any listerine left, as I thought the sabre was pretty good!

But guys, what is this epee thing all about? - jump, jump, jump, prod, double hit, jump, jump, jump, prod, double hit!

Shame about losing the feed on the team WF. Should of been sleeping anyway. What was the result in the end?

srb

(Possibly managing to stay awake at work)

srb
-10th October 2003, 11:00
Was it my imagination, but was that Keith Smith at the end of the piste watching the team ME?

srb

Boo Boo
-10th October 2003, 11:04
I was already in bed long before it started.... ZZzzzzz

Didn't realise that they lost the feed :( (was going to watch it when I get home...)

Poland won 45:36 - so fairly comfortable. Its impressive - my money was (metaphorically, fortunately :) ) on Russia to win the world title...

http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/ffetabla%20de%2016.htm

Boo

doobarz
-10th October 2003, 11:05
Originally posted by srb
Was it my imagination, but was that Keith Smith at the end of the piste watching the team ME?

srb

Well, he is over there....

Boo Boo
-10th October 2003, 11:12
Could he have been one of the two judges?

Alternatively he could have been standing there as some sort of official observer...

Or maybe he was just standing near the end for a good view :) (fairly unlikely, would imagine that they clear the piste area of unneccesary personnel...)

Boo
(beginning to have severe worries about srb's imagination... :) )

aao
-10th October 2003, 11:35
hmmm very dissapointed for the mens epee team, the guys really seem to have been making good progress recently and to go out in the 32 to spain, a team which is good but not unbeatable by any means, is a real kick in the teeth. Especially when you consider in the last team comp in France earlier this year they beat both Russia and Germany who finished 1st and 2nd.

Hopefully it'll just go down as a bad day in the office and they can get back on track when the a-grade season resumes!

veeco
-10th October 2003, 14:40
Originally posted by Boo Boo
I was already in bed long before it started.... ZZzzzzz

Didn't realise that they lost the feed :( (was going to watch it when I get home...)

Poland won 45:36 - so fairly comfortable. Its impressive - my money was (metaphorically, fortunately :) ) on Russia to win the world title...

http://www.inder.co.cu/indernet/competencias/Sinfo/EsgMundial2003/ffetabla%20de%2016.htm

Boo

The Russians didn't play it very well, IMHO. They started out with Youcheva as alternate for some reason, and they got spanked in the beginning. Mrozchewicz (sp?) had 3 great bouts and pretty much carried the Polish team. By the time the Russians got their act together and brought Youcheva in, they were more than 15 touches behind, and Youcheva did great (bringing Russia back to one touch behind) but in the last bout between Bojko and Gruchala, Gruchala got the best of it. Youcheva pretty much scored more than 1/2 of the touches that the Russians scored, so she was on a roll. It's too bad they didn't have her in their starting line up, the result would have probably been different.

Still, the Polish team fenced well. It was a good final...

veeco
-10th October 2003, 14:41
I stand corrected, doesn't make me like the French any better.... :tongue:

Wanna place any bets on the upcoming Israel - France soccer match? ;-)

Boo Boo
-10th October 2003, 14:55
Thank very much Veeco.... DOES make you wonder what the Russian strategy was, doesn't it...?

Boo

reposte
-10th October 2003, 18:06
Wanna place any bets on the upcoming Israel - France soccer match? ;-)

Fooy, I hope you kick our arse. There is nothing more despicable then Israeli football players. Maybe French talk shows.

:tongue: ;)

reposte
-10th October 2003, 18:10
Thank very much Veeco.... DOES make you wonder what the Russian strategy was, doesn't it...?

My guess is that they wanted to christen or chafe the younger generation coming the Olympic year. Bojko possibly being past her prime and I'm thinking Youcheva
was either feeling ill or not herself.

Tubby
-11th October 2003, 00:53
Originally posted by srb

srb Keith Smith was presiding the Team ME final, alternating with some other hombre.

Does anyone know what the Russian women foil team were red carded for in the final?

As for dodgy presiding, I counted 4 hits which should have been given to the Russians early on in the final. Tut tut tut Mr President.

doobarz
-11th October 2003, 15:40
WS - Seeded 9th, fenced Italy (8th) in L16. Lost 45/ 32.

MF - Seeded 14th, fenced Hong Kong (19th) in L32. Lost 45/ 39

nahouw
-12th October 2003, 05:53
My guess is that they wanted to christen or chafe the younger generation coming the Olympic year. Bojko possibly being past her prime and I'm thinking Youcheva
was either feeling ill or not herself.

Perhaps that was what their strategy was, to gain experience for the younger fencers, since the Russian team is aging. But then again, my rule of "russian roulette" in fencing falls into play -- if you are down more than 6 points in a bout, the probability that your opponent will score a touch before you get 6 touches is almost absolute. This also dovetails into the well-known short term memory aspect of human nature that you can only hold 6 things in short term memory -- the fencing application being, that after 6 times with an action, you can figure it out.

I guess they played out what they wanted against how well they could achieve against Gruchala as the final answer. But they underestimated Gruchala.

Gruchala is so hot right now, knowing she would be the Polish anchor, I think Russia really has to question the coach's judgement. Hmmm.. maybe another new Russian coach will be coming to America....

reposte
-12th October 2003, 13:31
Gruchala hot? Well, at least in one aspect she's considered so, but I wouldn't put it past the top Russians to beat her exploiting her obvious weakness and avoiding her obvious fortes. She is a polish anchor but she is not a game maker in the sense that she scores half the team's points like Goloubitsky for the Ukraine's foil team or Youcheva was to the Russian at that match. The rest of the Polish team were very efficient and that's what sealed the fate of the Russians, combined with the fact that Bojko was almost vapour - a thing I'm sure the Russian coach didn't even dream would happen - and you get a bad Russian day. It happens.

veeco
-13th October 2003, 11:27
Originally posted by Tubby
Does anyone know what the Russian women foil team were red carded for in the final?

Can't tell for sure, but I think it was either for covering target or inverting shoulders.

Marcos
-13th October 2003, 12:00
Originally posted by doobarz
WS - Seeded 9th, fenced Italy (8th) in L16. Lost 45/ 32.

seedings seem all over the place for WS - the final was contested between the 8th and 10th seeds.

unfortunately for GBR, they had the eventual winners in the 1st round!

Tubby
-13th October 2003, 21:49
Originally posted by Tubby
Keith Smith was presiding the Team ME final, alternating with some other hombre.

As for dodgy presiding, I counted 4 hits which should have been given to the Russians early on in the final. Tut tut tut Mr President. Just to be completely clear - "tut tut tut Mr President" was not aimed at our Prez who was presiding epee which of course ROW isn't an issue, but at the homme/hombre ruining the team WF final.

Cyranox11
-5th November 2003, 11:31
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I couldnt let this go unchallenged...

' agree that everyone should have the chance to qualify but it should be ensured that the best participants are at the Olympics. By having guaranteed places in sports like rowing, fencing and hockey for teams from Africa and South America seems a tad silly. If they qualify in their own right through a global ranking well and good but in rowing for example it is just ensuring South African qualification. Why not have qualification based on a global system rather then a regional quota?'

For the record, SA will NOT consider African qualification in rowing, for us to qualify a rowing 'team', they must qualify through the international rankings!
You will find this to be true of most SA sports (including fencing) UNLESS they are considered development prospects (ie black sportmen). in these cases, regional/continental qualification is acceptable.

oreillyg
-5th November 2003, 11:38
I stand corrected but it shows how completely ridiculous Olympic qualification is. Are you saying that South Africa is only classified as an African nation if the sport's participants are ethnically non-european? I find this an unbelievable situation.

Cyranox11
-11th November 2003, 14:29
Hi OReilly
Um yes and no...
NOCSA (our natnal Olympic Committee) has dedicated itself to righting the wrongs of the past. This means that they would like to 'correct' the racially skewed make-up of sports teams in SA. Thus, NOCSA will agree to send black athletes to the Olympic Games, so long as they have qualified (whether by regional qualifying criteria, or whatever). White athletes will only be sent if they qualify through the standard international qualifying criteria (ie non-continental based competition) AND they MUST be considered serious medal contenders. Whatever this means, no-one in SA is exactly sure...
Eg WE World Champs, the winner was ranked 62nd in the world!
Usually as far as NOCSA is concerned, the white athlete must be ranked 16th or higher in the world...
This is why we have had 2 South African fencers black carded at the last 2 olympiads (we qualified by the FIE rules, their names were printed in the programme etc but NOCSA refused to send the fencers because they were not black and in their opinion medal contenders...)
Thus, our rowing team (all white) will have to prove to NOCSA that they can win a medal at Athens to go.
I must stress that this is a South African specific rule (ie it applies only to SA and not Africa in general...) It is a rule we impose upon ourselves, and is not imposed on us!