PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Russians?

Sabine
-6th October 2003, 13:15
I have just been checking out the results from Havana and see that there are no Russians. That's a big deal in the Women's foil.

Does anyone know why they are not there?

Sabine

reposte
-6th October 2003, 13:45
Probably they've been eliminated. Bojko and Youcheva, top Russian fencers may not have made it. Not an entirely unexpected finals given the current rankings. no surprises. I hope we get to see some semi finals tonight, it's a hour an a half broadcast and only two events planned. Women foil were terribly neglected broadcasting wise last year, only managed the last two bouts in the team's event. And a good thing that there are no Russians this year given what happened last year...

Boo Boo
-6th October 2003, 13:54
The World Championships are run like a normal World Cup: the top 16, for each weapon, get a bye into the L64. So Youcheva and Bojko would have been seeded in the top 16 if they had made it to Havana in time (they could not get knocked out BEFORE the L64).

However, I have read elsewehere, that some of the Russians (including Bojko and Youcheva) were on flights which were so badly delayed that they missed check-in and were scratched. They appealed because they should have had byes (to the second day) anyway, but other countries complained - so they were scratched. Especially not good for Olympic qualifiying...

Bojko and Youcheva will be allowed to fence in the team event, though.

Boo

reposte
-6th October 2003, 14:01
I'm sorry, I thought Sabine meant why aren't there any Russians in the finals that Doobarz published a thread before. where did you read that stuff boo boo? I'm looking for real time press info and get nothing....

Boo Boo
-6th October 2003, 14:03
Have a look at:

www.fencing101.com/vb

For me, that forum is no where near as useful as interesting as this one (because I am British), but they do have some useful things there (occassionally).

Boo

reposte
-6th October 2003, 14:14
Thanks Boo, it is as you said then, which also ruins my Kolobkov wishful thinking. If I see a Frenchmen in the finals I shall be very put out indeed...
Still, they ought to have taken an earlier flight like the rest of the world.

Boo Boo
-6th October 2003, 14:18
Yes, taking a last minute flight - for whatever reason - has proved very costly :(

reposte
-7th October 2003, 21:07
Watching last night I couldn't help but thinking, watching her for the very first time - is THAT the great Vezzaly?
I mumbled to myself if only Youcheva were here only to discover that she was and didn't make it past the quarter finals.
It's a tricky craft Fencing it is...

PKT
-8th October 2003, 17:23
Originally posted by Sabine
I have just been checking out the results from Havana and see that there are no Russians. That's a big deal in the Women's foil.

Does anyone know why they are not there?

Sabine

According to the report in China's People's Daily's net report, the Russians literally missed their flights and therefore the individual events. They'll participate in the team events.

Obviously, Pozdniakov wasn't on that flight.

PK

PM1
-8th October 2003, 18:17
VEEEEEry interesting. And how frustrating. Can't say I know EXACTly how they would have been feeling, but I got an inkling when we missed the train back from London on Sunday night by 15 seconds, and had to go and speak sweetly to the man in the ticket office (tickets valid for that journey only). And we got home, half an hour later than advertised....

Thanks for the info