PDA

View Full Version : Eurosport/James Chambers

haggis
-7th October 2003, 20:44
If, like me, you taped the Men's Epee and Women's Foil on Eurosport you'll have "enjoyed" James Chambers commentating on the action. Don't get me wrong, it's probably not an easy job and James is a perfectly nice guy but every year I find myself shouting at the telly and clutching my head in disbelief as James slaughters the commentary. Perhaps we can make a concerted effort to contact Eurosport and beg them to replace their resident fencing commentator. Any suggestions for who should be doing it?

reposte
-7th October 2003, 21:04
Well, I'm loathe to intervene in somebody's livelihood, especially since I don't need commentary and those who do can't really
make the difference.
I do think he'd hit rock bottom with the names fiasco, I don't want to malign but for someone who pronounced names perfectly
last year and all of a sudden couldn't repeat it even though they were of the same fencers, I don't think he was quite sound last night.
Let's see how he does tonight. Could be he was ill or something, no?
Judging by what I read on fencing101, he is a concern on both sides of the pond.
And counterattacking IS terribly complicated to explain simply to an uneducated occasional audience...

Gav
-7th October 2003, 21:48
I'll do it ...

Rdb811
-8th October 2003, 00:18
The chap who does the on-course commentary for the Derby (etc.) is a qualified coach / foilist - used to be the assistant at Streatham. He also produces / presents / commentates on cable on American horse racing. (which is why he hardly fences these days)

PM1
-8th October 2003, 01:15
Just watched tonight for the first time - Gav, you've got the job.

3 Card Trick
-8th October 2003, 10:35
He re-invented the passivity rule last night, according to him tha was what the final minute in the WE final wass for.

Rhubarb
-8th October 2003, 10:42
I think that having spoken to James a few years back on his moonlighting for Eurosport, i should point out a few things. James is NOT in Havana. He is in a booth in Paris receiving the same feed that the viewers see. He is subject to the whims of the local director and as he has to 'wing it' continually, is under considerable pressure. Replacing him does not seem to be an option as the sport is not really big enough to concern the channel,( who are delighted to have an 'english' commentator whom they find reliable and prepared to put himself on the line,) ranking alongside tractor-pulling, the commentary on which I'm not qualified to comment.

doobarz
-8th October 2003, 11:19
Well I wish I had EuroSport - trying to work out what has gone on via the web site is v tricky....

pinkelephant
-8th October 2003, 12:16
Until recently Eurosport had a fencer as an anchorman - Gareth Evans. He went to the World Juniors in the 70s as a foilist. Eurosport used him a lot aas a sailing commentator, but never fencing. Why?

James Chambers may be in a studio in Paris, but if he can see the same as the rest of us, why does he not read the referees' hand signals instead of burbling about whether an attack was through when it is clearly being signalled as a parry-riposte? And why is he so out of touch that he thought sabreurs "rested" when the score got to 10-something? The guy did used to be the President of British Fencing after all.shoat1:

reposte
-8th October 2003, 12:53
BTW, he did forget twice than Men's foil hadn't come up yet. I mean, for heavens's sake, it only been two days of broadcasting since we started, and how can you forget the event that - forgive me all non foilists - is considered to be the flag ship of fencing?

hokers
-8th October 2003, 13:15
If we're looking to make fencing more of an audience friendly sport, you've GOT to have good explanations of the hits. It was really rather too random watching the fencing last night, I also vote for Gav, you can't possibly be any worse :D

Muso440
-8th October 2003, 17:13
Maybe you should all fire off letters complaining to Eurosport? If enough people did it they might listen.

PM1
-8th October 2003, 17:58
....there are 2 threads seemingly on the same topic, here.

I thought the commentator got the final minute v wrong, and that it was called because the scores were level at the end of the third period. But I thought they had been passive, at least to my untutored eye.

Why did I manage to read the game more accurately than the commentator on several hits ??? I'm not a fencer, for pity's sake.

But better any fencing than none...........

haggis
-8th October 2003, 18:08
Originally posted by Rhubarb
I think that having spoken to James a few years back on his moonlighting for Eurosport, i should point out a few things. James is NOT in Havana. He is in a booth in Paris receiving the same feed that the viewers see. He is subject to the whims of the local director and as he has to 'wing it' continually, is under considerable pressure.

We know but it's still not very good, is it? If there was a concerted attempt to offer an alternative name to Eurosport perhaps we might get a commentary that was informative, entertaining, informed and accurate.

Gav gets my vote as well. If only to hear him moan about what a stupid weapon foil is:grin:

Andy W.
-8th October 2003, 23:03
Poor old James,

As a mere observer and as someone who watches the action on video tape the morning after, the poor qualityof the general presentation ie lighting, camera angle etc seems of more relevance that the commentary, which we have found enlightening. After 4 years of watching foil, 10 minutes listening to his commentaryon the women's foil increased our understanding of things like right of way and parry reposte much better than some of the 'refs' who stand at comps in this country, who seem to hope to confuse you so you won't challege too many of their decisions! if he is stuck in a box in Paris at 2am watching the distinctly dodgy offerings of Cuban TV then even more respect!

As an aside what is fencing doing visiting a dictatorship like Cuba anyway?

:o

wingnutLP
-9th October 2003, 20:16
Considering our past history I might be an unlikely defender of James. However I suspect that the events will have unfolded thus.

Arrive in Paris Studio.
No pre details of any of the fencers in the final. Fencing starts, no hit indication lights on screen, or the wrong way round, no names visable. producer cutting from diferent camera angles being artistic. Referee in view only some of the time. On halt of play director rather than being helpful and letting the camera show the referees hand signals, cutting away to sexy replay/slomo. replay. No sound or only partial. Producer shouting in ear piece.
I have n't seen any (I cannot work the video) but am I close? James has my sympathy.

F.I.E. spends so much money on trying to make the event teli visual, why don't they do what I have suggested. As a back up have somebody with a mobile in touch with James and the others at the studio so they can get a proper update and details. It is not difficult and not that expensive. Barry Paul

Gav
-16th October 2003, 11:05
Gav gets my vote as well. If only to hear him moan about what a stupid weapon foil is

Thanks .... I think :grin:

Well I picked this up from Fencing Net Men's Epee DVD commentary (http://www.fencing101.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=93867#post93867)

Does anyone fancy giving it a go? I'll do it but don't have suitable equipment (or WC tapes). Anyone else fancy giving it a go. Looks like the RCP beer day will be going ahead - maybe I should get a mike and get the commentary from the pub...

Arturo
-16th October 2003, 12:05
When's the beer/ video day, Gav?

Gav
-16th October 2003, 13:36
Arturo: I've PM'd some details to you.

natsgrant
-17th October 2003, 01:10
beer day?

from your beer belly chat, young arturo, i suggest you skip that....

x

tigger
-20th October 2003, 11:53

Olympics in Beijing...

reposte
-20th October 2003, 13:20
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely, you're all too wise to go in there....

Arturo
-30th October 2003, 17:00
...you love my beer belly! Will be getting some serious work done on it over the next 2 weeks.

MatFink
-19th November 2003, 02:05
At the juniors champs this year someone suggested to me in jest that I should do the commentary. I said to them at the time and I will say again. James has done this role for many years, and as experienced fencers we will spot every issue with the commentary. He is however always informative and interesting and is an enthusiast. So for people seeing fencing for the first time James' commentary may be just the job.

Of course James if you ever retire let me know!!

But for now rest assured you have atleast one fan out there