PDA

View Full Version : Did any one see a transparent Sabre Mask being used

Barry Paul
-9th October 2003, 12:26
The F.I.E. offered a prize for the highest placed sabreur wearing a see thru mask in the individual. Did any sabreur wear one? Who was the highest placed? Barry Paul

Mantis
-9th October 2003, 12:31
They offered a prize for wearing a particular piece of equipment???

kingkenny
-9th October 2003, 12:40
I think it was money and quite alot.

Boo Boo
-9th October 2003, 12:45
The winner of the women's sabre - Dorina Mihai (sp?) - wore one.

Believe that one of the L4 of the men's sabre also wore one, but can't remember who...

Boo

Boo Boo
-9th October 2003, 12:46
I read that the money was 10,000 Euros...

Boo

Mantis
-9th October 2003, 12:52
So Dorina Mihai got 10,000 Euros for wearing a see through mask. Just out of interest, how much did she get for winning?

3 Card Trick
-9th October 2003, 13:13
One of them was a Leon Paul.

reposte
-9th October 2003, 13:29
Romanian girl had an LP you could definitely discern the logo on the back band.

whizzkid1982
-9th October 2003, 13:33
how about covaliu in the men's sabre final!!!

reposte
-9th October 2003, 14:15
My guess that it's an LP but I looked for a glimpse at the back band and couldn't find one. Mind you, as a no longer latent Covahiu fan I had bigger fish to fry...

symon
-9th October 2003, 14:26
she got 10,000 euros just for wearing the see through visor mask?? i think ill get 1!!;)
and excuse my stupidity but how much does that work out in pounds sterling??:confused:

Barry Paul
-9th October 2003, 14:33
Alot of money.

veeco
-9th October 2003, 15:00
Socha, Mihai (Women's sabre) and Covaliu all wore a transparent mask.

Prometheus
-9th October 2003, 15:02
What was the motivation behind this - surely the FIE isn't trying to 'buy' people into using these masks, would they stoop to such things??

veeco
-9th October 2003, 15:20
Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head: the FIE IS trying to buy fencers into using these masks...

Mantis
-9th October 2003, 15:41
Originally posted by Prometheus
What was the motivation behind this - surely the FIE isn't trying to 'buy' people into using these masks, would they stoop to such things??

How dare you suggest such a thing?!? That would imply that the fencers didn't really want to use them!

So, can no one tell me how much the first prize was? With 10,000 Euros for just wearing the right clothing, I imagine it must have been huge.

Boo Boo
-9th October 2003, 15:49
Not necessarily... even the very top fencers aren't in it for the money (this is fencing, not tennis or athletics).

My guess, however, is that Mihai should get a generous bonus from the Romanian government - Romania is very good at developing and rewarding elite sports men and women (now that's an idea! ;)).

Boo

Prometheus
-9th October 2003, 15:57
This FIE Letter details the reasoning:

http://www.fie.ch/download/letters/2003/FIE/18/en/Letter%20of%20the%20FIE%2018-03-ANG.pdf

harry
-9th October 2003, 16:02
why were LP masks not promoted by the FIE?

Mantis
-9th October 2003, 16:09
OK, maybe I'm too quick to be cynical about the FIE. I still don't agree with the see through masks for sabre (but please let's not start the argument again) but if they are being leaned on by the IOC I can see their thinking.

Is this (http://www.users.on.net/dtcook/lisa/Strip/page4.html) what we are up against? :grin:

Tarmac
-9th October 2003, 19:36
yes.:(

wingnutLP
-9th October 2003, 20:00
You could ask Peter Jacobs.
As far as I understand Garidini who made there first see-thru mask so badly and against the recomendations of the Cen that the failures of his masks was one of the factors which caused the introduction of transparent mask to fail first time round. Presented a new mask to Mr Roch. This was offered at a price of 150 Euro, PBT also agreed to supply at 150 Euro. Leon Paul were not asked at first. Subsequently we were asked to supply our mask at 150 Euro.We declined. We think it is better to make a mask which is both safe, easy to breath in and does not fog up, cost is not the most inportant criteria. Barry Paul

harry
-9th October 2003, 20:53
do you not have concerns that you were not asked along with everyone else Barry? Did you not lose out on sales because of this?

Muso440
-10th October 2003, 19:38
Just out of interest, does anyone know where there's a picture on the web of one of these masks?

srb
-10th October 2003, 19:56
Muso,

Have a look at

http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_F_I_E__Range_79.html

srb

symon
-11th October 2003, 01:17
jeez the see through visor masks are ugly!!!..... they'd look like cyber men from the old doctor who series!! sorry but im gonna stick with the good old fashioned masks :)

Muso440
-11th October 2003, 12:30
I'm with you there Symon. Is this a concerted attempt by the FIE to make all fencers look like welders?

Jambo
-11th October 2003, 13:11
I think they look quite good, and as I've said before I think it'll add a whole new dimension to the psychology of the game, staring your opponent in the eyes. I'll not argue about the target area issue.

symon
-11th October 2003, 14:45
I think this could be 1 of those discussions that could last til the end of time ( not literally! ) some fencers loath the new mask and some like it!! its all down to personal choice!!

Moose
-11th October 2003, 17:54
Originally posted by symon
I think this could be 1 of those discussions that could last til the end of time ( not literally! ) some fencers loath the new mask and some like it!! its all down to personal choice!!

Is it tho? And will it stay that way? Cos it seems to me that this will be pushed down our throats whether we want it or not.

reposte
-11th October 2003, 18:09
The minute it stops being profitable to use them people will revert to their ways of yore.

Muso440
-11th October 2003, 18:18
Originally posted by reposte
The minute it stops being profitable to use them people will revert to their ways of yore.

Good reason for all sensible fencers (okay then, the ones who don't want to look like welders) to refuse to buy / wear them for as long as is humanly possible.

reposte
-11th October 2003, 18:27
10000 EU's are a wonderful reason to wear them before returning gear.

symon
-11th October 2003, 22:07
MMMMmmmmm nevr thought of that rep!! buy 1 get the 10,000 euros then return it!!:lovit:

reposte
-12th October 2003, 01:46
I'm not actually that sinister, I merely meant that with an extra 10000 EU's you can afford another mask which you can safely store somewhere near the 80'es clothing once your done collecting bonus money.

symon
-12th October 2003, 14:44
Originally posted by reposte
[B]I'm not actually that sinister, I merely meant that with an extra 10000 EU's you can afford another mask.B]
OOPS!!!:o

anteanteportas
-17th October 2003, 06:00
i agree with that...transparent masks are not so comfortable...i've tryed to fence with it (PBT Hungary transparent mask)... need much more air to breeth...and due to that all u can see is a foggy fencer in front of u... not a really solution for that what FIE wanted...:rolleyes:

GrahamWatts
-17th October 2003, 13:29
Both James Williams and Louise B-W wore see-thru masks and will almost certainly have won money for being in the top 8 fencers wearing see-thru masks.

There was quite a funny incident in the first round of the WS. Volkova was fencing Chris Becker, who was wearing a see-thru mask. Volkova tested on the perspex and, of course, there was no light - she tested again and again and asked the referee to annul Becker's hit and make her wear another mask. The referee agreed whereupon the US team hot-tailed it to the DT and the FIE came scurrying down to the piste to insist that Becker be given back her hit and be allowed to wear her mask!

The Romanians aren't stupid - they all wore see-thru masks in the sabre - less target AND prize money! I was amazed that there weren't more see-thrus being worn.

Graham

Brett
-17th October 2003, 14:16
Given that you can't see a fencer's face very clearly in a transparent visor anyway, and given this is for TV viewers benefit, why on earth don't they just put a little piccy of the fencers in each corner of the screen. Motorcycle and Formula-1 drivers don't have to put up with this rubbish. WWF here we come!

anteanteportas
-20th October 2003, 05:33
hear hear!...take a bear! :cheers2:

rpryer
-20th October 2003, 09:03
There was a brief roundup of the individual events on Trans World Sport on Channel 4 on Saturday morning, and they mentioned the extra prize money won by the women's sabre champion for wearing a transparent mask.

Unfortunately they didn't show enough footage to see whether it made a difference to the spectacle. (I don't have Eurosport so didn't see any of the coverage).

Muso440
-20th October 2003, 17:00
Originally posted by rpryer
There was a brief roundup of the individual events on Trans World Sport on Channel 4 on Saturday morning, and they mentioned the extra prize money won by the women's sabre champion for wearing a transparent mask.

Wow, fencing on Channel 4?! Better than nothing, I would have thought. Maybe everyone should email them to ask them to put on more in future...

symon
-21st October 2003, 00:30
i saw the same episode of trans world sports on sky the clip it just showed the men & women's final bout! it was barely 2 minutes long !! if you'd blinked you would have missed it!!:(

The Little Un
-10th January 2004, 23:31
The reason why i would not wear a tranparent mask, if they become clear, is because then your opponent can see you eyes and it might give her an advantage.

Best wishes,
Judy