PDA

View Full Version : European Selection

cesh_fencing
-14th June 2007, 14:22
Well done to the announced team on being selected (though still a couple of places to be confirmed).

2-7 July 2007, Gent, Belgium

ATHLETES

Men's Epee
(Individual and Team)
from
TOM BENNETT
TOM CADMAN
JAMES TAYLOR
JAMES THORNTON
JON WILLIS

Women's Epee
(Individual event)
JOANNA MAYNARD

Men's Foil
(Individual and Team)
JAMES BEEVERS
KEITH COOK
LAURENCE HALSTED
RICHARD KRUSE
(travelling reserve - DAVID RISELEY)

Women's Foil
(Individual and Team)
CLARE BENNETT
ANNA BENTLEY
MARTINA EMANUEL
ELIZABETH WRIGHT

Men's Sabre
(Individual and Team)
CHRIS BUXTON
NEIL HUTCHISON
HARRY MONCRIEFF
ALEX O'CONNELL
(travelling reserve - STUART MARSHALL)

Women's Sabre
(Individual and Team)
from
LOUISE BOND-WILLIAMS
KATIE HENDRA
JOANNA HUTCHISON
JESSICA LACHETA
CHRYSTALL NICOLL

Well done to all those who end up going and good luck for the event...

madfencer
-14th June 2007, 23:53
Congratulations to all those going and good luck :grin: ...but.......why so few in WE?

Gangsta G
-15th June 2007, 07:53
Congratulations to all those going and good luck :grin: ...but.......why so few in WE?Presumably Jo Maynard is the only fencer to have met the selection criteria.

cesh_fencing
-15th June 2007, 09:05
Presumably Jo Maynard is the only fencer to have met the selection criteria.

Probably about 1/2 the overall squad have not met the published qualifying criteria..

madfencer
-15th June 2007, 09:51
Ouch! That's not good! Am suprised a certain young lass from Plymouth isn't going but i'm not going to say anymore.

ChubbyHubby
-15th June 2007, 12:44
Ouch! That's not good! Am suprised a certain young lass from Plymouth isn't going but i'm not going to say anymore.

You have to realise that the Selection rules are designed in a way that allows them to essentially pick whoever they like subjectively.

Unless you acheive the qualifying standard (which are unrealistic to most and if applied to teams from other countries - most countries won't have much of a team) you won't get a look in unless you are part of their process.

ie. set the qualifying standard so high that only a few acheive it and then pick the teams as they wish.

I am not sure how the non-qualified WF team members have done compared with the WE fencers but are they that far apart? Or is it because Jo isn't part of the Olympic Pathway, and Anna B is (and therefore the others are there to support her as training partners?) So you could say if you have a Pathway fencer in your weapon (or someone deem to be a possible future member), you'll get more of a chance to go to the WC/ECs too.

Looking at the teams this may well be the case.

pigeonmeister
-15th June 2007, 13:02
I still reckon you should judge a selection policy by results above transparency.

ChubbyHubby
-15th June 2007, 13:07
I still reckon you should judge a selection policy by results above transparency.

I'd agree with that, but why bother with trying to appear transparent and just say "at the discretion of the selectors".

pigeonmeister
-15th June 2007, 13:16
A fair point- I guess the same reason that the MOD can't say- look, bribing saudi royals is the only way we can get a deal done. Certain appearances have to be maintained...