PDA

View Full Version : University Blues/Colours

Bambi
-21st June 2007, 10:52
Im currently renewing our University Blues standards as they are extremely old and need updating.

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of their University Blues/Colours standards for me to compare. As our old ones mention comps that don't run anymore or are under a differnt a name the committee in charge wont change them unless we can show how they have changed and what other uni's have for their standards.

Cheers.

Skippy
-21st June 2007, 12:19
I've pm'd you.

Red
-21st June 2007, 20:30
Have also PMed you.

TLove
-21st June 2007, 23:03
Im currently renewing our University Blues standards as they are extremely old and need updating.

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of their University Blues/Colours standards for me to compare. As our old ones mention comps that don't run anymore or are under a differnt a name the committee in charge wont change them unless we can show how they have changed and what other uni's have for their standards.

Cheers.

We're trying to get our Uni to update how colours for Fencing are awarded also.

Could I also get a copy of people's colour requirements for reference?

Cheers.

Asprin
-22nd June 2007, 08:14
If our uni does actually get around to having a club it would be helpful to also have a copy of other unis colour requirements as a reference point.

Bambi
-22nd June 2007, 08:39
Thanks to those who have pm'd me. It seems this is going to be a bit of a task as may have to do seperate standards for mens and womens for all three weapons as some have less competition than others!!

JulianRose
-22nd June 2007, 11:29
Thanks to those who have pm'd me. It seems this is going to be a bit of a task as may have to do seperate standards for mens and womens for all three weapons as some have less competition than others!!

try making it as broad as possible since it then does not need ot be updated in the future. maybe saying a L32 (or whatever standard is deemed appropiate) in a competition with a nif of at least 30 (again whatever standard is required) with discretion for those who miss it by a nif point or two, or who go a lot further in a weaker competition.

does it need to be based on national competitions, surely if this university colours it should have something to do with representing the university in BUSA or something, or am i missing the point.

Bambi
-22nd June 2007, 12:04
i have tried to make as broad as possible by putting average of L16 for half and average of L8 for full, though for womens L8 and L4 for scottish comps as there is always less entries.

im having a problem with the busa part as its seen as an individuals work towards a team goal. therefore winning busa sheild last year and getting to semis of trophy this year might not get counted. if other clubs have a way round this problem i would love to hear from you.

JulianRose
-22nd June 2007, 12:37
i have tried to make as broad as possible by putting average of L16 for half and average of L8 for full, though for womens L8 and L4 for scottish comps as there is always less entries.

im having a problem with the busa part as its seen as an individuals work towards a team goal. therefore winning busa sheild last year and getting to semis of trophy this year might not get counted. if other clubs have a way round this problem i would love to hear from you.

for a start you could use performance in the BUSA individuals as a guide.

i know that at durham you have to hold a certain number of exec positions within the club to be able to get colours. shows committment to the club at university level on an individual basis.

but equally you can sometimes say that the performance of one individual through the season has helped the team immensley. is hard to define exactly what is required, and is often why there are committee that make final decisions about university colours.

Preacherman
-22nd June 2007, 14:45
Been a "few" years, but at Oxford they used ranking position in the criteria for discretionary full blues (1/2 blue awards come from fencing in the varsity match). I'd be surprised if it was any different now.

It would save someone having to re-assess the competitions in another couple of years.

Red
-22nd June 2007, 21:47

Our uni awards team colours for team achievements and individual colours for purely individual achievements.

Red
-22nd June 2007, 21:50
i know that at durham you have to hold a certain number of exec positions within the club to be able to get colours.

As a third point, we also have club colours for service to the club. The uni colours are purely for 'sporting excellence' - NOT service to the club.

Kepster
-23rd June 2007, 18:46
Sounds like some of you folks have it easy - here at Lancaster we can only get them for:

Half Colours - Regional Selection (i.e. Winton)
Full Colours - National Selection

Nick_C
-26th June 2007, 14:25
Try getting them at lufbra!!!

Red
-26th June 2007, 14:49
Did becoming Welsh National Champion help your cause?