PDA

View Full Version : Foil insulating tape

MrWizard
-12th October 2003, 21:54
Possibly a really dumb post, but here goes...

My electric foil is needing retaped, can I just use normal duck tape (i.e. the cheap PVC stuff that I can buy from B&Q) or do I have to buy the expensive cloth tape as sold by Leon Paul?

Or, if anyone can suggest where to buy the tape cloth in smaller quantities (don't really need 50m worth ;) ) then please do...

Cheers,
Jamie

rory
-13th October 2003, 09:00
You can use just about anything - but the advantages of the cloth tape are that it's much tougher, and when you remove it there's much less icky sticky mess on the blade. Duct tape is BAD for this.

Boo Boo
-13th October 2003, 09:08
Homebase/B&Q used to sell cloth tape - don't know if they still do - its worth a look around your local DIY superstores.

Boo

clockity
-13th October 2003, 10:07
Ice hockey stick blade tape tends to last a lot longer (on my foils anyway) than the standard Leon Paul tape. It is designed to hit vulcanised rubber pucks after all. Ice rinks and various ice hockey shops (Skate Attack) will sell it, though ordering it mail order with postage may push the price back up to fencing tape prices. Oh, it comes in various colours too, I tend to use red and white hockey tape, with electrical tape wrapped around the point.

Hope this helps.

srb
-13th October 2003, 10:43
The cloth tape (make I think is Tessa) can, like sports tape can be bought from most DIY shops.

The cloth tape is much better than the normal electrical insulating tape. Even so it won't last for ever, and needs changing regularly. I always retape my foils before every competition.

srb

MrWizard
-13th October 2003, 17:48
Thanks for the replies, I'll give my local Homebase a try :)

Jamie

reposte
-14th October 2003, 21:34
I don't know the term in English, but I use medicinal bandage tape. The thick kind you get wrapped around a cylinder.

MrWizard
-15th October 2003, 17:10
Originally posted by reposte
I don't know the term in English, but I use medicinal bandage tape. The thick kind you get wrapped around a cylinder.

Crepe bandage? I think that's the term.

Jamie

pinkelephant
-16th October 2003, 08:07
No - crepe bandage isn't sticky. I think it's just Elastoplast or equivalent on a roll.

Barry Paul
-16th October 2003, 16:34
I have taken on board comments as above and ones at competitions. Speaking to our works manager he told be he once wound smaller amounts onto small film reels so we could sell smaller reels. However it was time consuming, difficult and the wider tape we use would no longer fit the reel. We hope to have the solution shortly. Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul.

sparkymark567
-19th October 2003, 10:56
The last cloth tape I bought from LP is "Advance" as in "Advance tapes Leicester England" Does LP still use/sell this stuff, as it's crap compared to the stuff which I previously got from LP: "Rotunda" which lasts much much longer.

Barry Paul
-21st October 2003, 19:50
Unfortunately we live in a difficut world for years we are supplied a cloth tape and then suddenly the tape provided is different. I think the tape spark did n't like was three suppliers ago. We now use a wider tape which sticks extremly well to itself. The good news is that we have now sourced some 10 metre rolls. Available by Welsh Open or sooner. I will send sparky a reel to test. Barry Paul

Hungry Hippo
-25th October 2011, 07:51
A random act of Necromancy here - must remember to call in a roofing contractor from Birmingham, Alabama the next time my roof is blown away in a tornado, as he'll be extremely well experienced!

2020 dad
-20th June 2013, 11:46
Has anyone ever tried heat shrink tubing,thinking of giving it a go,just wondered if anyone has used it.

J_D
-24th June 2013, 15:43
yes, I've been using it for about 10 years. The first stuff I had was from RS and brilliant, I'm still looking for more, it was thicker than the stuff I now pick up from Maplin, and had a better shrink ratio so stayed on longer.

The main advantage is that it helps prevent the grub screws from getting banged up and difficult to remove. It tends to last longer than tape too. In fact, since moving to heat shrink I've not suffered from this problem at all.

I usually use tip tape too, just to keep that area at the top of the barrel well insulated, it means that if the edge of the heat shrink isn't perfectly square then you don't get shorting out of the tip on the lame.

Downside is that you can't re-tape without a heat source, so if you have to do running repairs at a comp, you're back to tape.

Let me know if you need more info.

2020 dad
-24th June 2013, 18:03
That's all the info i need,thank you,I'm going to try it this week.

purple
-25th June 2013, 12:42
Is heat shrink legal for FIE events? I'm not sure, but I was pretty sure they needed to check the grub screws, which would be impossible without destroying the heat-shrink.

2020 dad
-25th June 2013, 13:00
Possibly not but I'm sure it's ok in the Yorkshire youth league.

J_D
-25th June 2013, 16:28
Ok, they were veterans events, but I've had it pass at European and Commonwealth championships. At the event in Jersey, they were particularly hot on most things, but not showing the grub screws wasn't a concern.

uk_45
-27th June 2013, 09:55
Weapon control requirements request that foils are presented without tape (or anything else) covering the tip or top of the blade (M.5.5a). The odds of getting the weapon back with heat shrink still on would be small at a top competition.