PDA

View Full Version : 2nd European Championships Cadets

Foilling Around
-1st August 2007, 21:11
2nd European Championships Cadets
01.-06.03.2008
Rovigo, ITA

Just seen this on the EFC website
Looks like the Cadets will be going to Italy twice in 2 months.

Keith.A.Smith
-2nd August 2007, 18:51
Dear All,

The Italians seem to have unlimited funding at present and so are eager to host many events.

The first european Cadet Championships was by al accounts a great event and I am sure this one will be too.

Keith

Tubby
-28th November 2007, 13:27
:eek: Just seen this! OMG. I may have to cancel Christmas in case Mudge qualifies.

Foilling Around
-28th November 2007, 21:31
:eek: Just seen this! OMG. I may have to cancel Christmas in case Mudge qualifies.

Not that I am up with the Cadet WE rankings, but I would think she stands a pretty good chance.

And probably for the next 3 years!!

Boo Boo
-28th November 2007, 21:33

That isn't nice... people like rewards for doing well, not punishments... :eek:

(you could always try painting your roof white ;) ).

Boo

rugmike
-29th November 2007, 21:53
But then if he comes early he'll get his robes all messed up - and if he comes later, he'll go a... over t.. and squash the cat.

And the weindeer will be all alone .

Mind you, they'd have plenty of time to get to Italy, should it cross their minds.

Tubby
-30th November 2007, 11:09
I'm finding it difficult to scoop any information on these championships. Where in Rovigo will the championships be held? How much is it likely to cost to participate if selected?

Neil Brown
-30th November 2007, 14:31
I'm about to send out some brief details to the likely team fencers in the next few days. As you'll know we'll select 4 per weapon.

It seems likely that British Fencing will not be able to fund this trip very much so the cost of the essential officials will need to be mainly split by the fencers.

At a very rough guess I would estimate the cost to the fencers will be in the region of £700.

The event is 4-9 March, there are individual & team events.

More details when we have our transport & hotel sorted.

Jan O'C
-2nd December 2007, 22:16
I'm about to send out some brief details to the likely team fencers in the next few days. As you'll know we'll select 4 per weapon.

It seems likely that British Fencing will not be able to fund this trip very much so the cost of the essential officials will need to be mainly split by the fencers.

At a very rough guess I would estimate the cost to the fencers will be in the region of £700.

The event is 4-9 March, there are individual & team events.

More details when we have our transport & hotel sorted.

Are those dates definite? When I looked it up it was 1-6 March but that was about 4 weeks ago. Could do with knowing asap as we've been invited to a huge ball on 29th Feb and I was about to turn down the invite on the basis that we would probably be in Italy by then. But if it definitely doesn't start until 4th, we're not likely to go until 2nd. Does that sound about right to you Neil?

Neil Brown
-2nd December 2007, 22:24
You may go to the ball.

As far as they can be the dates are confirmed as 4-9 March. We'll probably travel out on the 1st March.

Jan O'C
-3rd December 2007, 07:42
I'll order my pumpkin and white mice immediately then.
Many thanks, yours sincerely Cinderella

StabInTheDark
-5th December 2007, 20:27
I'm finding it difficult to scoop any information on these championships. Where in Rovigo will the championships be held? How much is it likely to cost to participate if selected?

The slightly later dates are on the Italian Fencing Federation website in a pdf calendar:

http://www.federscherma.it/comunicati.asp?com=88&anno1=2007&anno2=2008

Rovigo is halfway between Padua and Ferrara, not far from Venice

The "provincial delegate" for the Italian federation in Rovigo is

Sig.ra Maddalena ZANETTI
Via Saba 7
45026 Lendinara (RO)
tel. 0425-641026

perhaps you would care to give her a call, as there is no information beyond the basic dates not even on Nahouw: or just wait for Neil Brown to find out ....

wilbur
-5th December 2007, 21:38
At a very rough guess I would estimate the cost to the fencers will be in the region of £700

Participating in fencing may or may not be elitist.

Representing your country at fencing, however, is a different matter.

How sad.

Wilbur

Red
-5th December 2007, 21:48
That's where club, county and region come in - if all of the above can contribute £100 or so each then you're almost half way there.
Admittedly some clubs may be run as a pocket money engine for the coach, and some counties don't have a county fencing union, so this won't work for all.

Neil Brown
-5th December 2007, 23:35
You can see the event web site at www.rovigo2008.com (http://www.rovigo2008.com).

I've got the competition information we need & it'll be up on my web site as soon as we've got the travel arrangements agreed.

British team selection is 1st Jan for sabre & 14th Jan for epee & foil.

Tubby
-6th December 2007, 14:09
Great to see the competition website banner uses the one true weapon :p .

Neil Brown
-13th December 2007, 23:44
Foil committee are adverstising for the foil coach for this event. Details at http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=839

Neil Brown
-20th December 2007, 00:40
Incredibly... :(

I've just (today, Wednesday 19th) seen an email from the European Fencing Confederation to the organisers of this event detailing a different timetable to the one that's been published.
We will work on this over the next few days to try & find out what will really happen. If you're a parent or personal coach planning to travel don't book any flights yet.
Details will be updated when I have more information.

Keith.A.Smith
-20th December 2007, 19:32
Dear All,

I have been emailing last night with other memebrs of the European Confederation Executive. I pointed out that the dates etc had been published.

I think the dates as published will not change but just wait a few days just in case.

Keith

kd5mdk
-23rd December 2007, 00:23
I reminded of the joke that says "Heaven is where the cooks are French (etc)" and "Hell is where ... and it's all organized by the Italians."

Keith.A.Smith
-24th December 2007, 11:04
Dear All,

Just had confirmation that the timetable is not going to change as I pointed out we had bought tickets as had some other countries.

Some advantages to be the Vice President of the European Confederation.

Best wishes to all,

Keith

Neil Brown
-24th December 2007, 11:13
Panic off. We were not the only federation to have booked our flights so the timetable will stay as it is.

Can I remind all the British fencers due to be selected that they should send their forms back to me as soon as possible. I also need to know if any fencers do not want to travel to this event. Details on the Rovigo link at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net).

Keith.A.Smith
-24th December 2007, 11:42
Many thanks to Neil for all his hard work as GB Team Manager and also for alerting me so quickly to the possible timetable problems for us and hence we were able to head the problems off with the help also of the EFC Executive.

Merry Christmas,

Keith

Neil Brown
-10th January 2008, 11:03
Selection for this event is Tuesday. Fencers, please make sure you have checked the ranking lists before the IC meeting.

A reminder that the top 5 now should fill-in & return the form to me as soon as possible. There's a list of the fencers who have returned their forms on the Rovigo information at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net)

We have teams of 4 & a non-travelling reserve.

Fencers who need a tracksuit should order one directly form the British Fencing office.

PM1
-10th January 2008, 20:24
Fencers who need a tracksuit should order one directly form the British Fencing office.

....and any additional kit from me once I have it settled :D Hopefully, I will have the order forms available next week, which will then be emailed out to all selectees.

It has been agreed that a pin badge will be paid for by BF (Ta Keith). They are not for sale :dont:

Maggs

Neil Brown
-24th January 2008, 15:15
Latest details are now up.

Just a reminder I need all fencers to check the spreadsheet & make sure all info is correct & complete. Please check the accommodation list & tell me if any is not correct.

As you know there is an offer of 20% discount on equipment & Leon Paul are producing the usual championship bags & holdalls. Order early.

Fencers, I need to know very soon if your coach is planning to travel out to the event at any point.

I'll need a digital photo soon. Don't send anything yet, I'm waiting for a reply about any limits on the file size, etc for the image.

StabInTheDark
-24th January 2008, 15:52
....and any additional kit from me once I have it settled :D Hopefully, I will have the order forms available next week, which will then be emailed out to all selectees.

It has been agreed that a pin badge will be paid for by BF (Ta Keith). They are not for sale :dont:

Maggs

Any develpopments on the order form? I spoke to Barry at the BYC's and he said he wasn't going to process any orders for bags etc without an official order form...and there could be a significant lead time for production

Neil Brown
-24th January 2008, 17:26
The order form for bags & Leon Paul equipment is at the end of the information document.

The order form for the shirts, etc to be ordered from Maggie is not ready yet.

Neil Brown
-25th January 2008, 12:06
Latest information now up. Leon Paul orders need to be in by 28th Jan.

I've just emailed all the team fencers & coaches with instructions about accreditation. Make sure you do what I asked soon please.

I've set Sunday 27th Jan as the last day to tell me about personal coaches who want to travel with the team. Make sure the spreadsheet has the correct information by then.

With the latest round of SportsAid grants we can say, for the first time every I think, that all the fencers travelling to Rovigo will have had external funding. Well done fencers for your results & those in British Fencing who have made this possible.

SportAid details here http://www.britishfencing.com/British_Fencing.asp?PageID=885

PM1
-25th January 2008, 12:43
The order form for the shirts, etc to be ordered from Maggie is not ready yet.

Will be up either tonight or tomorrow, I hope.

PM1
-26th January 2008, 19:21
Brochure and order form now up, and first order received !!:D

Neil Brown
-29th January 2008, 13:01
Organisers tell me the accreditation problem is now sorted. File size limit for the photo is 1.5MB. The system has not worked unless you've seen the E-mail inviata correttament message. As at 1:30 pm today (29th Jan) only the following were registered correctly: Brown, Davis, Kirby, White.

Please make sure you read the paragraph about this in the info document carefully. If it fails keep trying.

Jan O'C
-29th January 2008, 15:32
Neil,
I did Grace and Tim's a few days ago and got the message back that it was accepted. Shall I do it again anyway then?

Jan O'C
-29th January 2008, 15:40
Neil,

This is what I get when I send the photo and details.

Accrediti / Accreditation
E-mail successifully sended.

Does this count or not?

Neil Brown
-29th January 2008, 20:55
Neil,

This is what I get when I send the photo and details.

Accrediti / Accreditation
E-mail successifully sended.

Does this count or not?

Sounds OK to me. I'll check again in a few days.

Jan O'C
-29th January 2008, 22:19
Thanks, please let me know either way. Have a good trip to Pisa at the weekend.

PM1
-30th January 2008, 19:28
For whatever technical reason :mad: , a link to the brochure and order form for the optional kit is not on the main info site. I have emailed it to everyone (I hope), but if you haven't received it, please email me at maggieatlloydjonesdotkaroodotcodotuk and I will send you the order form and brochure link. Orders by sleep time on Saturday THIS week, please.

:not_worth

Neil Brown
-30th January 2008, 23:40
Kit.
Go to www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net), then:
Click here (http://neilbrown.50g.com/rovigoinfo08.htm) for details for the British team travelling to the European Cadet Championships in Rovigo.

The link to the brochure is at the end of this document.

Neil Brown
-26th February 2008, 10:22
Well done to all who came to the training day on Sunday & thanks to all the juniors who came for their day of training & as sparring partners.

Thanks to the 3 coaches for their work.

Fencers, coaches & parents please read over the details again & check the spreadsheet to make sure all is correct (scroll right to see detailed hotel & travel information).

Jan O'C
-26th February 2008, 16:59
We should actually be thanking you and the other coaches plus the Juniors who gave up their time. It was a very useful and well organised day so many thanks.

Tubby
-1st March 2008, 09:03
Are the fencers to travel out in their GBR track suits?
Daughter says not.

Jan O'C
-1st March 2008, 17:53
They never have done before so I'm assuming not - Grace will travel in jeans, polo shirt and her GBR U/20 jacket.

Neil Brown
-3rd March 2008, 14:40
All 24 fencers safely arrived. MF start tomorrow at 8:30, MS at 12.

Team photo from this morning attached.

Gangsta G
-3rd March 2008, 15:35
I must say everyone looks charming, especially Neil and Norman!

Has Curtis had corn rows done?

Good luck to those fencing tomorrow!

asaba
-3rd March 2008, 15:44
I must say everyone looks charming, especially Neil and Norman!

Good luck to those fencing tomorrow!

Good luck to those fencing tomorrow.

rugmike
-4th March 2008, 10:34
Now we know why Neil had his ears lowered !
And, Norman, I didn't know they sold those "power-dress" shoulders for trackies - not quite Armani, more ever so slightly "Brookside".

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 10:52
Can't find a results service anywhere.

So far the only news I have is Jamie and Hussayn both won DE bouts comfortably to get into L32. I have no news of James and Peter, hopefully they are doing as well or better.

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 11:01
Just heard Jamie into L16. Won 12-11! Good luck to the rest.

PM1
-4th March 2008, 11:17
The event has a lovely web site....but no Results button...and nothing under News.....ho hum....:o Good luck all - sabre should have started now too...

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 11:43
Apparently Peter went out in L64. Hussayn and James in L32 (haven't heard how they got on). Jamie into L16........just!

Tubby
-4th March 2008, 12:41
Mudge thinks that James is in the 8 and Jamie went out in the 16. Noise in the hall made it difficult to hear what she was saying.

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 12:59
Yes, Jamie lost to an Italian (15-4 I think OUCH!)

BUT ....... JAMES IN L8!!!

GOOD LUCK

PM1
-4th March 2008, 13:09
Hussayn??

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 13:19
Hussayn out in L32 , I'm sure he wont be happy with that and hopefully he will use it as motivation for the team event!

PM1
-4th March 2008, 13:25
I agree. Thanks Ken.

MrsWFFC
-4th March 2008, 14:30
James into last 4 !

Lets hope he can make the final.

Excellent result & should give the boys a good seeding for the team event.

Keith.A.Smith
-4th March 2008, 14:36
Dear All,

Fantastic news. When are the semi finals? Good luck!!!

Any sabre news?

Keith

Lynne
-4th March 2008, 14:58
Semi Finals at 6 o'clock European Time (5 in GB).

All MS out too. 32 for Honeybone, 64 Miller and Fotherby (I think). Brightman missed cut.

Lynne
-4th March 2008, 14:59

Yes, but he took them out today!

1cypriotfencer
-4th March 2008, 15:34
are there live results anywhere not on website have tried www.fencingworldwide.com as well

rugmike
-4th March 2008, 16:04
The event has a lovely web site....but no Results button...and nothing under News.....ho hum....:o Good luck all - sabre should have started now too...

Terrible ! No results section - what's all that about ?

I presume the FIE are again pretending it's not taking place , so no help there !

Anyone help ?

MrsWFFC
-4th March 2008, 16:09
No live feed that can be found, we are relying on the Fitzgeralds for results.

However we are about to head to the club so good fencing to James and I hope we read some even more fantastic news when we get back.

Hopefully Neil will update us all when he gets a chance.

Ronald Velden
-4th March 2008, 16:40
you can get news update on Italian Federation website.

The semi finals will be as follows:

Foil
Wlosek [Pol] v Davis [Gbr]
Garroszo [Ita] v Di Francisco [Ita]

Sabre

Iliasz [Hun] v Kindler [Ger]
Gofman [Rus] V Matyas Szabo [Rum]

Interestingly three of the sabre finalists were at Camden International
three weeks ago. Szabo failed to make last 8!

Neil Brown
-4th March 2008, 16:41
James Davis finished 3rd. Best ever British result at this event.

I'll add all the places for MF & MS when I get them tomorrow. There's no open wireless newwork in the venue this time.

ME & WS tomorrow.

Lynne
-4th March 2008, 16:48
James out 15 -11 in a hard fought semi final against Wlosek (POL). Great atmosphere - we were the only two teams who have a full squad there already (others are arriving in weapons squads), so the noise was great from both sides of the room.:) :D He fenced really well.

The other semi was 2 Italians, and it was really quiet and subdued. :(

Tubby
-4th March 2008, 16:55
Lynne
thank you very much for helping Caitlin out with her phone. :)

Gangsta G
-4th March 2008, 16:56
Well done James Davis! Fab result!

Lynne
-4th March 2008, 17:00
Lynne
thank you very much for helping Caitlin out with her phone. :)

No problem - TBH I didn't do very much, just calmed her down until morning when she was awake enough to fiddle with it sensibly! :)

Luckily, she laughed when I offered to fetch a hammer! :whistle:

pigeonmeister
-4th March 2008, 17:11
Great Result! Really well done, James.

pinkelephant
-4th March 2008, 17:21
Brilliant - and such a nice lad too.

PM1
-4th March 2008, 21:35
Fantastic result indeed :not_worth I look forward to seeing that wonderful grin wearing a medal around his neck. Great stuff !!

Now let THAT be a great incentive to everyone on the squad !!:D

Baldric
-4th March 2008, 21:46
Well done James! outstanding :thumbs_up

Mr WFFC
-4th March 2008, 21:52
Hey James, I hope you read this thread.

Well done! I'm really pleased you got over that little crisis of confidence you had in Koblenz. Fantastic result!

It looks like the Italians will be the ones to beat in the team foil, but GBR should get a reasonable seeding and we have four pretty good fencers there so who knows mayne another medal in the Men's foil team?

Goodwood
-5th March 2008, 06:58
Fantastic result James. Looking forward to seeing how our little bet goes!!!

Neil Brown
-5th March 2008, 09:13
MF
Davis 3rd
Fitzgerald 15th
Rosowsky 23rd
Barwell 39th

MS
Honeybone 20th
Miller 43rd
Fotherby 47th
Brightman 56th

Neil Brown
-5th March 2008, 09:18
ME
White is 2nd seed after pools. Edgar dropped 1 fight. May & Chalmers won 1 fight each & are out in the round.

WS due to start at 12:10 but will be a bit late because of the ME DEs on the same pistes.

Lynne
-5th March 2008, 10:34
Edgar seeded 15th I believe. Both about to go on. Rest of squad (minus WS who are preparing for their event) are piste side ready to make some noise.

Best get back! :)

Boo Boo
-5th March 2008, 10:55
Excellent result for James Davis :)

Well done to everyone else too and very good luck to those still to fence. Sounds like a great event and a great GB team atmosphere - fantastic.

Boo

Hoboneer
-5th March 2008, 13:08
:D :D :D :D

Great going guys!!!!!!....and the girls? Or have they not fenced yet?

Hope parents/friends know if they're all having a good time out there...time off school..v jealous :-p

H

Lynne
-5th March 2008, 13:17
Stephen Edgar out in 32, Ben White out in 16. Both fenced well. Out to same Swiss fencer.

Neil Brown
-5th March 2008, 14:32
Sophie & Jess made the 32 of the WS. Felicity met Jess in the 64 & Grace lost to Ercetin (GER) in the 64. Exact places to follow when I know them.

SteveH
-6th March 2008, 07:30
Congratulations James

Excellent Result

Steve

Tubby
-6th March 2008, 09:28
WE Poules:
Jenny 4 up 1 down
Sophie 4 up 1 down
Caitlin 4 up 2 down
Becky 3 up 3 down

Should all make the cut.

Tubby
-6th March 2008, 10:06
Gutted.

All WE girls out in L64, i.e. lost first DE. Will be tough in the teams now.

Mr WFFC
-6th March 2008, 12:11
Latest Women's Foil news:

Andrea 2up 4dn
Natasha 3up 3 dn
Alex 2up 2dn still fencing
Georgia 2up 2dn still fencing

free spirit
-6th March 2008, 12:29
Sophie & Jess made the 32 of the WS. Felicity met Jess in the 64 & Grace lost to Ercetin (GER) in the 64. Exact places to follow when I know them.

Congratulations to all the participants. Specially WS and, Particularly, to Sophie and Jess for the results so far!!

Hoboneer
-6th March 2008, 12:54
Keep going foilys!!!

Lynne
-6th March 2008, 14:55
Natasha & Andrea out in 64.
Georgia out in 32.
Alex into 16.

Baldric
-6th March 2008, 15:41
Alex into 16.

GO ALEX !!!!!!

Keith.A.Smith
-6th March 2008, 15:53
Dear All,

Realy well done to James Davis on wining a bronze medal. Fantastic. Also Ben White into the top 16 is a really good result.

Good to see Alex has made the top 16 at WF so far.

Any more news?

Keith

tigger
-6th March 2008, 16:31
Great result for James D, and good performances from Jamie Fitz and Ben White. Otherwise a disappointing individual championships so far. The MS group could all have done better, and Glueboy certainly should have made the 8.

Hopefully the teams will make up for it!

Commander
-6th March 2008, 16:46
Very dissapointed with the Cadet European web site, very poor! No results, etc.
Does anyone know where one can find the results? Girls foil and sabre where did they all finish? How many in the competition? It would be great to have more details!

Good luck to all who still have to fence and all the teams.

Emily_H
-6th March 2008, 17:27
The Results of Men's and Woman's Sabre, Men's Epee and Men's Foil can be found on http://www.rovigo2008.com/.

I think they havw put a link up on their homepage, otherwise you can go to downloads and find them there.

Boo Boo
-6th March 2008, 17:52
Natasha & Andrea out in 64.
Georgia out in 32.
Alex into 16.

Well done to Georgia, Andrea and Natasha :)

Any news on Alex yet?

Boo

UglyBug
-6th March 2008, 20:22
Alex out in the L16 to Mondt of NED

Mr WFFC
-6th March 2008, 21:54
Great result for Alex, and she is so young! Potential medalist in future years?

Lets hope so.

Carole Seheult
-6th March 2008, 21:56
Well done Alex, from all at Laszlo's. See you next week!

Boo Boo
-7th March 2008, 06:41
Great result for Alex, and she is so young! Potential medalist in future years?

Definitely :)

Some great poule results fro the WE, followed closely fought DEs. Obviously lots of great promise from young fencers there too.

Looks like a great event which should encourage young fencers onto even bigger and better things :)

Boo

mendacious dog
-7th March 2008, 06:45
...and Alex is still only 14 years old if memory serves, so she was quite possibly one of the youngest entries in the WF (or even the entire thing) as well.

Genuinely well done Alex.

Hmm - now that I think about it, there seems to be a certain level of international fencing abillity that comes with the name Alex. An idea for junior no.3 springs to mind (just dont tell the missus quite yet :eek: )...

:dogs:

Woof

MrsWFFC
-7th March 2008, 08:21
Just want to my add my congratulations to Alex.

I know she has worked really hard and its great it has paid off so well.
I'm sure this will be the first of many times that she will represent GB at this level.

I wonder if David has any voice left?

Hungry Hippo
-7th March 2008, 10:33
...and Alex is still only 14 years old if memory serves, so she was quite possibly one of the youngest entries in the WF (or even the entire thing) as well.

Possibly even less than that, or only just turned 14 - she won the BYC's at under 14 level just 6 weeks ago.

Which makes her exploits in Rovigo exceptional - very well done Alex!

MikeODonnell
-7th March 2008, 10:45
Seeded 4th.

Beat Belarus 45-20.

Then they beat Greece 45- 30.

They've got Italy in the Semis, probably a lot more difficult!

Mr WFFC
-7th March 2008, 11:10
Italy will be very difficult, but what a prize if they win!

I'm guessing there will be a fight off for third so will have to beat one of the other 3 to get medals. I'm sure they can do it!

GOOD LUCK BOYS

MikeODonnell
-7th March 2008, 12:23
Beaten 28-45 by Italy, now have France in the 3rd/4th place fight.

Mr WFFC
-7th March 2008, 12:24
Men Foil team lost 45-28 to Italy.

Not sure whether they meet France or Germany in 3rd/4th match

Mr WFFC
-7th March 2008, 12:25
OOPS Mike beat me to it and knows more than me!!

MikeODonnell
-7th March 2008, 12:38
Texts from Paul Fitz keeping me updated.

It's almost like being there (NOT!)

Neil Brown
-7th March 2008, 12:39
MF France match for 3rd is at 3:30 (CET).

MS team lost to Romania then Turkey & beat Austria to come 11th.

Hoboneer
-7th March 2008, 13:03
Congrats to teams... bit late but NICE ONE for Alex...what a star...!

Well done to everyone who went, they've all done themselves proud :D

Commander
-7th March 2008, 14:51
Emily H, thanks for link to results.

Hassan
-7th March 2008, 15:35
According to French website, escrime-info, GB Men's foil team lost on priority (a la morte subite).

BoarWithaSword
-7th March 2008, 15:50
GB foil team lost to france. Behind most of fight drew back level to go into extra min with french priority. Both fencers hit and referee gave france the point. Dont really know much about foil but everyone around didnt think the french should have been given the point (including the french who didnt start cheering untill the referee gave the hit)

source
-7th March 2008, 16:00
Now i know how the referee is always right and all, but here goes:

MF teams fight for 3rd place France 37 - GB 37 at time, French get priority.

After a few close calls and lots of movement towards the french end of the piste, Jamie attacks and fails, then the counter attack from the french fencer fails, and then Jamie comes back with a clear lunge. The referee then awards the hit to the French to the sound of "oui!!" from the French and "NO" from the Brits.

It was a very disappointing and debatable outcome that resulted in the MF team coming in at an extremely well deserved and respectable 4th place.

Alex Craig

Neil Brown
-7th March 2008, 16:38
It's all true; we were done!

Fencers were 4 hits down for most of the match until the last 3 fights, Husayn caught up 2, James caught up 1 more so Jamie Fitzgerald went into the last fight 1 hit down.

Alex's description of the last hit is pretty accurate.

ME & WS teams tomorrow.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th March 2008, 18:09
Dear Neil,

Who was the referee?

4th is a very good result but a bronze medal would have been so much nicer and it sounds dserved from what is posted here.

Keth

Mr WFFC
-7th March 2008, 20:53
Just got home, gutted to read this thread.

Had heard by text that the boys lost by on after priority...........didn't realise Jamie was last fight and didn't know the last hit was so controversial.

Well done all 4 of you! Another bronze would have been fantastic, but you can all hold yopur heads high.

Good job Mrs WFFC wasn't there..............she would have decked the ref!!

Has anyone calmed Paul Fitzgerald down yet??

Lynne
-8th March 2008, 15:41
Paul was a model of good conduct. We did think we might have to sedate James Davis at one point to get him out of the finals hall! ;)

The boys fenced brilliantly, showed loads of team spirit, supporting each other to get the hits back bit by bit. They also did well to salute and shake hands with the French with a good grace, even if the handshake for the ref was a bit less than enthusiastic.:whistle:

They couldn't have done any more than they did - they all listened to Pierre's advice and acted on it etc. . .

That whole match was what fencing shold be all about. Nailbiting from start to finish, good natured but hard fought. I was proud to be there with them :) , even though there as a sour taste at the end for everyone.:(

Cymru Fach
-8th March 2008, 19:59
How did the team events go today? It seems to have gone a bit quiet!

CF

UglyBug
-9th March 2008, 00:35
And how are our referees Keith and Nick getting on?

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 09:39
Is there a break in the fencing? Would dearly love to know how our fencers are getting on (the competition website hasn't been updated with recent results).

Boo

Tubby
-9th March 2008, 13:25
WE just beat Croatia to finish 13. was seeded 10 but lost to Israel in the 16.

foil girls seeded 6. currently on piste V ukraine, trying to get to the 5th 6th play off. GBR 23 UKR 29

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 13:29
Thanks Tubby :)

Hope that the WE team gained valuable experience from the team event - fencing in an international team event is probably new to all/most of them.

Very good luck to the WF team :) (any idea who they lost to, and the score, in the L8?)

Boo

Mr WFFC
-9th March 2008, 13:55
Girls foil beat Slovakia to get to L8 where they lost to France.

Not sure how they are doing in the L8 place matches but I'lkl try to find out.

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 14:01
Well done for beating Slovakia and very good luck to them in their playoff matches - all very valuable experience :)

Boo

Mr WFFC
-9th March 2008, 14:24
Lost to Ukraine 44-45, were 31-40 down at start of last bout!

Bad luck girls. Now have Germany in 7th/8th play off.

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 14:32

Bad luck girls. Now have Germany in 7th/8th play off.

Ooooh, so close! Who fenced that last fight for GB? Sounds like a great fight/match to watch.

Very good luck against Germany :)

Boo

Tubby
-9th March 2008, 14:43
thomson was last fight on v UKR . now 21 18 up v GER

Tubby
-9th March 2008, 15:02
34 26 down in last bout, tough ask.

Tubby
-9th March 2008, 15:09
Eventually we lost to GER 45 - 34 great effort .

Boo Boo
-9th March 2008, 16:08
great effort.

Definitely - well done to all of the team :)

A lot of hard work, but incredibly valuable experience - all that extra experience against international fencers and experience of fencing in international teams (which will help when progressing to junior world team events and senior international team events in later years).

Really seems like a great cadet competition and will hopefully spur the fencers onto even better things to come at the cadet/junior worlds and in years to come too.

Boo

Hoboneer
-9th March 2008, 19:52
Nice one girls :D L8 aint bad at all!! Very well done to everyone :)

Australian
-11th March 2008, 00:14
Girls foil beat Slovakia to get to L8 where they lost to France.

This is a very good result. The Slovakian team is quite strong

Tubby
-11th March 2008, 01:17
This is a very good result. The Slovakian team is quite strong
Especially when they know how to do the ironing board

StabInTheDark
-11th March 2008, 07:26
Especially when they know how to do the ironing board

This picture illustrates why the change of target area to include the bib at foil is a Good Thing

Neil Brown
-11th March 2008, 22:21
I would like to thank the fencers who showed good attitude for their hard work & dedication to producing their best results for themselves & the British team.

Well done to James Davis for the first ever British medal in this event & to the Menís foil team who came 4th & (as we all know) were very close to a bronze medal.

Iíd also like to thank the 4 team staff who worked hard with me to make sure each fencer had the best chance of performing to the top of their ability:-
Nick Chapman, Norman Golding, Pierre Harper & Lynne Melia.

Thanks to Maggie Lloyd-Jones for work organising the team kit & badges.

Thanks to Nosheen Khan for pre-event administration.

Well done to the 2 referees: Keith Bowers & Nick Payne for their competent work at the competition & help in team management.

Thanks to all the parents who funded their offspring to go the the selection events all season & to go to Rovigo.

All the British results including individual team match stats are now up, linked from the information document. Please can all fencers complete & return the feedback form at www.fencingcoach.net (http://www.fencingcoach.net).

Well done to all those who felt they performed well & got the results they were hoping for, many of those who were disappointed with their results will have another chance in Acireale. The aim for all of us is to learn the lessons from anything which went wrong this time & prevent any of the same mistakes next time.

Tubby
-11th March 2008, 23:06
Neil
thank you for pulling it all together, Caitlin had a really great time, less so the fencing results, nuf said. The WE team were a very tight crew in their fencing and supporting of the other teams. It was great to see all the other fencers supporting them.

Tubby
-11th March 2008, 23:21

At 44 - 44 this happened when Natasha was waiting at the engarde line while the Ukraine fencer was have "breathing difficulties" (for about 20-25 seconds)

Tubby
-11th March 2008, 23:29
Ok more like 10 - 15 secs, it seemed a very long break, Val may have it on video so may be able to get a stop watch on it.

WestFifeMum
-12th March 2008, 15:46
Quote: Val may have it on video so may be able to get a stop watch on it.

From the time Natasha raised her mask and the referee allowed the girl to composed herself (she was distraught and in tears) until they went on guard for the last hit, was a total of 47 seconds.

I think if the referee had forced her to come on guard Natasha may have won the point due to the state the other girl was in. But he allowed her to wipe her face with a towel and have a word with her coach, who by the way had been shouting instructions all through the match.

I have never seen as much coaching from the sidelines as I observed at these championships and all the referees seemed to allow it.

WestFifeMum
-12th March 2008, 15:46
Quote: Val may have it on video so may be able to get a stop watch on it.

From the time Natasha raised her mask and the referee allowed the girl to composed herself (she was distraught and in tears) until they went on guard for the last hit, was a total of 47 seconds.

I think if the referee had forced her to come on guard Natasha may have won the point due to the state the other girl was in. But he allowed her to wipe her face with a towel and have a word with her coach, who by the way had been shouting instructions all through the match.

I have never seen as much coaching from the sidelines as I observed at these championships and all the referees seemed to allow it.

Tubby
-12th March 2008, 18:02
a total of 47 seconds. Wow. Its amazing how my perception of time altered based on the preconception that "surely a ref at a major championships would not have allowed it to go on for so long".

Foilling Around
-12th March 2008, 19:15
Wow. Its amazing how my perception of time altered based on the preconception that "surely a ref at a major championships would not have allowed it to go on for so long".

Certainly sounds unacceptable to me for a non-injury break. Of course the girls could have just decided to tighten her shoe and get away with it!