PDA

View Full Version : regional specific forums?

Gav
-24th April 2003, 12:21
Might be fracturing up the board a bit but how about it? People could discuss regionally specific topic there and these topics wouldn't get lost in the mix.

wingnutLP
-24th April 2003, 12:30
We wanted to keep it simple to start but we can subdivide the forums further as we get more members using the site.

We eventually aim to have a subdivision for each UK event and we could break it down by region.

Are you suggesting world or UK divisions?

Jambo
-24th April 2003, 12:51
Won't it just end up splitting everything up too much? Having loads of forums with one thread in each would be a bit daft.

Gav
-24th April 2003, 13:02
I'm suggesting UK divisions. Jambo is right toom many divisions and you end up with one thread in each - daft. Hoever that overlooks my concern that there may bregional topics that are not of interest to everybody that could get lost in the general mix [assuming the board suddenly starts to get loads of traffic].

I am suggesting a breakdon by UK division only - Scotland, Wales, East, West etc

Boo Boo
-24th April 2003, 13:05
I guess England is the sticking point, because "England" is a region, but you also have SE, SW, E, London, West Mids etc.etc.etc.

Boo

Gav
-24th April 2003, 13:20
To clarify: Region for England = County.

Boo Boo
-24th April 2003, 13:26
Originally posted by Gav
To clarify: Region for England = County.

What like Surrey, Somerset and Gloucester? I have to wonder how useful that would be: some counties are quite active, others only stir for Excalibur and that's about it... (can't remember the last time my county held foil championships...).

Regions/Sections are a bit more useful (and can include counties within that region).

England is mainly only useful for Commonwealth, 5 Nations, and England Youth Championships. Although this may change with England gets its own identity (like Scottish Fencing and Welsh Fencing) in the next year or so...

Boo

Gav
-24th April 2003, 13:36
To me County would just be whatever was the best unit. It seems logical to use whichever is the most relevant to English fencers. There are Scottish and Welsh isses which are not relevant to English fencers and vice versa. To speak of divisions does anticipate the creation of English Fencing (a change which many think is long overdue) however I think that is a positive step to take.

Boo Boo
-24th April 2003, 13:39
Well, hopefully it should be on the way... http://www.britishfencing.com/homecountriesmeet.doc

Boo

Gav
-24th April 2003, 13:51
I see no-one from SF attended! Argh! There is a lot going here on that potentially affects everyone up here in the frosty North - and no-one went!

I've just sent an email to SF asking why...

Boo Boo
-24th April 2003, 14:11
According to the document, Ian Stewart (President Scottish Fencing) was present.

Boo

Gav
-24th April 2003, 14:14
Was he? Oops!

Boo Boo
-24th April 2003, 14:14
:)