PDA

View Full Version : WS in Scottish Unis

scottishsabreur
-27th August 2007, 13:06
Hey,

Are there any WS coming to Strathclyde or Glasgow uni this year? In fact even male sabreurs would be better than nothing. I fence at Salle Rollo and Glasgow West End (on the odd occassion). These are the only two clubs that I can get any decent sabre at. There are no other sabreurs at Strathclyde and if anyone is at or coming to Strathclyde and fancy giving sabre a go please come along and give me someone to fence...you know rather than get stuck teaching freshers how to hold a foil... :p

pinkelephant
-27th August 2007, 13:12
Salle Rollo - is that a pub?:tongue:

rory
-27th August 2007, 16:28
Get the train or bus through to Edinburgh and go to EFC.
Costs less than 10, takes you an hour and a half each way from centre of Glasgow, or less on the train.
It's what I used to do.

myopic
-27th August 2007, 20:50
S'what I did during my brief tenure in Glasgow too (often curtesy of the Rory-mobile). I appreciate that even the amounts being talked about are actually a considerable outlay for a student, but it's probably the only option if you want to a range of opponents.

For some reason Sabre doesn't seem to ba a west coast thing, hasn't been for years and (too my knowledge at least) there's no immediate sign of this changing.

No idea why this should be, but there you go. Anyone else got a theory?

coachcarson
-28th August 2007, 08:29
Looking at sabre results generally and at UKSG would suggest that the best location for Scottish women sabreurs would appear to be Essex 8-(

twohappyhippos
-29th August 2007, 08:35
You're welcome to over and train at Edinburgh uni if you want. Have a few good girlies and boys :)

scottishsabreur
-29th August 2007, 13:25
You're welcome to over and train at Edinburgh uni if you want. Have a few good girlies and boys :)

That would be good. Our uni are a total pain in the ass about letting other non students and even other students from other unis in.

What times do you train? I take it training is based in the sport centre at Pleasance?

As for EFC, I've made it along once and only had Matt and Craig to fence (which was great, but it would be nice to fence some girls for a change :p). Should be at EFC this Thursday actually.

I agree that sabre doesn't seem to be a West Coast thing but I think with Salle Rollo starting up that might change slightly, since we already have; Glenn Sancroft, Michael & Roy Clarke, Alex Winchester and possibly Steph Land attending so if any other sabreurs fancy joining us on the West Coast we start back 5th September, 6.30pm - 9.30pm at the High School of Glasgow in Anniesland.

Thanks for the advice though.

Phoenix
-29th August 2007, 13:26
Glasgow Uni has plenty of sabre equipment including the now legendary 'Toastie Stained Lame of Luck' and many of our beginners are making their move into the discipline. We also train twice a week now. Check out http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/fencing in the coming weeks for details. Plus we have the Kelvin Park Rapiers who take part in the quiz every Tuesday. Then there's me but that's another thread entirely.

scottishsabreur
-29th August 2007, 14:59
Glasgow Uni has plenty of sabre equipment including the now legendary 'Toastie Stained Lame of Luck' and many of our beginners are making their move into the discipline. We also train twice a week now. Check out http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/fencing in the coming weeks for details. Plus we have the Kelvin Park Rapiers who take part in the quiz every Tuesday. Then there's me but that's another thread entirely.

lmao! Yes...um, I know...Gav...it's Jen..lol!

rory
-30th August 2007, 09:05
We also train twice a week now.

I should think so too ;)
Funny how things go in circles.
Where do you train now? Stevie building or Kelvin Hall?

scottishsabreur
-7th September 2007, 11:08
I was just thinking about what people were saying about sabre being an East coast thing but I think you'll have to admit that is changing since the Scottish Mens U20s and senior Champion is a West Coast fencer... and they won the Glasgow open too (against 2 east coast fencers in the semis and final)...so looks like things are changing!

rory
-7th September 2007, 12:38
Have a look at the commonwealth team from last year.
How many Glasgow sabre fencer?

myopic
-7th September 2007, 15:01
Also, as has been debated elsewhere, many people simply don't bother with the Scottish champs so it's not a great barometer.

The point I was making was about numbers of people taking up the weapon (sabre enthusiasm) rather than quality of the top end - and unless the clubs over there have a lot of fencers who ain't on the circuit (which is possible, I'm out of touch) we aren't seeing much sabre fenced over there.

scottishsabreur
-11th September 2007, 12:24
Also, as has been debated elsewhere, many people simply don't bother with the Scottish champs so it's not a great barometer.

The point I was making was about numbers of people taking up the weapon (sabre enthusiasm) rather than quality of the top end - and unless the clubs over there have a lot of fencers who ain't on the circuit (which is possible, I'm out of touch) we aren't seeing much sabre fenced over there.

Yes, you are out of touch, see Salle Rollo and West End. Both are largely sabre clubs, though West has a good foil and epee mix too.

scottishsabreur
-11th September 2007, 12:32
[QUOTE=myopic;182268]Also, as has been debated elsewhere, many people simply don't bother with the Scottish champs so it's not a great barometer.

Oh and I'm guessing the fact that he beat two Scotland Senior team members in the Semis and final at the Glasgow Open isn't a great measure either? I guess they were both just having off days? Not that sabre is actually improving remarkably in the West due in large part to one individual coach?

I think you'll find in general we have the same numbers of people fencing sabre but as you said, generally the elite choose to fence in the East...but then that counts for what...like 6 sabreurs?

scottishsabreur
-11th September 2007, 12:34
Have a look at the commonwealth team from last year.
How many Glasgow sabre fencer?

have a look at last years Junior commonwealth team and you'll find one!

myopic
-12th September 2007, 09:44
I think Scottishsabreur thinks we are making anti-westcoast points, which is a misunderstanding. I used to fence at Glasgow West, a great club full of nice peoplewhich does fantastic work. I'm suprised to hear that it's now 'predominantly sabre' but sounds good to me. I guess they just aren't competition fencers. About Salle Rollo I know very little, apart from that it has a respected coach.

Rory was a Glasgow uni boy, (as was I, though Edinburgh as well) who does not live on the East coast of Scotland.

I think we were responding to concerns you seemed to raise about sabre in Glasgow, so being supportive. If it is,in fact, very healthy then the thread seems to have come to a natural end satisfactory for all.

It's certainly where I'm bowing out...