PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet socket moves round

sparkymark567
-19th October 2003, 10:47
Like (some other fellow mad foilists) I like lots of set on my blade.
This means that the bayonet socket rotates (by itself) arround the guard and I have to move it back once a week.

The traditional 11 'O clock position of the bayonet socket does not apply to most people, usually its more of 9 O'clock position that's more appropriate. So why is the bayonet socket cut in such a weird kind of penagonal way. Does this have something to do with the socket wanting to slip round.

Also, perhaps there might be some way in which the bayonet socket could lock on the foil guard when you tighten it, e.g. by stamping some kind of dimples on to in the inside of the guard.

Any more ideas?? as it's really anoying.

sparkymark567
-19th October 2003, 10:49
Or, maybe you could just cut the thing square in the first place.

wingnutLP
-19th October 2003, 17:47
Try throwing out the locking spring washer. Put the foil in a well mounted vice tighten with some wellie. Barry Paul

srb
-19th October 2003, 18:26
The Uhlmann two pin ones are cut square. Also they are smaller than the bayonet socket so they don't clash against your thumb either.

This and combined with continual problems I had with continuity using the bayonet socket, I converted to the two pins ones. They are a pain to connect the wire to the connector after re-wiring, otherwise I prefer them.

srb

srb
-20th October 2003, 09:36
To be fair to Leon Paul I should state that my bayonet sockets were about 20 years old. However, they were all in good condition, and did get stored for 17 years in my loft. I used them again for about 5 months before changing over to the two pin ones.

I mount the socket at 9 o'clock like SparkyMark. As the two pin socket, and more importantly the two pin plug on the body wire are thinner assemblies than the bayonet plug it gives more freedom to my thumb. This may be a specific problem to my grip (continental leon paul pistol grip) and hand shape, but I find the extra room a real benefit.

So for day to day fencing I prefer the two pin version, and for maintenance I prefer the bayonet version. However, as hopefully I should be fencing for longer than I am repairing foils, I prefer the two pin version overall.

srb

sparkymark567
-20th October 2003, 11:15
Interesting comments about the two pin. The only reason I use the LP bayonet is because the bodywire seems to lock in place, i.e. doesn't fall out. As far as I'm aware the two pin plug is less secure, is that the case?

I'm going to throw away the spring washer as suggested.

On second thoughts, I don't think it matters what shape the hole is, e.g square or pentagon. I think it's to with the way the handle pushes up against the socket. It kind of wedges the socket, pushing it upwards. Does this happen with the two pin ?

I'm not too keen about tightening the blade with some wellie, as the set of the blade means that the it will be pushed in to the guard on one side. This exagerates the set further, i.e. it quickly gets ridiculously large.
Any more ideas? the feedback has been really helpful already.

Jambo
-20th October 2003, 11:22
Allstar or Duellist two pins dont fallout cos they clip in. The LP ones however can fall out pretty easily. Two pins are far better, they dont break half as often in my experience.

srb
-20th October 2003, 11:23
Originally posted by sparkymark567
As far as I'm aware the two pin plug is less secure, is that the case?

Absolutely not! The two pin version is more secure that the bayonet plug. It has a catch that you have to physically release to insert or remove the body wire from the foil.

srb

sparkymark567
-20th October 2003, 11:39
I think you may have just converted me to your way of thinking.
It will stop people from stealing my bodywires. (except for srb who will have someone else to borrow from)

One more question about the two pin????

The metal bit that goes arround the blade, is it larger on the two pin. I think; if it the handle completely sits on top of the metal bit, it is less likely to slip round, i.e. it won't be wedged upwards. (hope that makes sence and you know and you thingermy bob I'm talking about)

I'm thinking of an epee guard socket b.t.w; where the metal bit is round and larger. So the handle will completely sit on top.

srb
-20th October 2003, 12:17
Originally posted by sparkymark567
you know and you thingermy bob I'm talking about)

??? - I think so

srb

wingnutLP
-20th October 2003, 17:46
If you are having problems with handle movement especially with a large set. You might look at the guard end of the metal handle. From an engineering point of view the handle end that butts up to the guard/ISG surface should be angled to reflect the set of the handle against the guard. It could be that the handle is only in contact at one corner hence even an excessive tightening of the nut will not ensure the handle stays/bayonet stays fixed.Try grinding the handle at a double angle to represent the set down and to the side. Barry Paul M.D. Leon Paul