PDA

View Full Version : Guard problem!

Aoife
-19th October 2003, 20:06
Help!

I have a problem with the guards/grips of some of my clubs foils!

Some of the dry orthopedic foils have been allen-keyed as tightly as possible, but they are still wobbling. Is it a problem with the padding? The sword blade isn't moving, but the grip is oscillating slightly. A few of the dry French grips are having a similar problem, but the ocsillation is more clear- the grip is rotating freely from the blade to some degree, yet the allen key will not turn it any tighter. We though the French grips with the problem could be fixed by adding an extra pad, it helped a little at first, but no longer...

Any suggestions?

haggis
-19th October 2003, 22:30
It sounds like either the thread isn't long enough (so the allen nut can't move far enough towards the guard to tighten the handle) or the tang (the bit of the blade that the handle goes onto) needs to be filed narrower to allow the handle to fit properly. If it's problem 1 you'll need a die to put a longer thread on the tang (or you could use some spring washers inside the handle but it's a bit of a cheat). If it's problem 2 you can file the tang thinner or file the hole in the handle to make it bigger and therefore able to fit onto the tang.

The problem won't be cured by adding more inside-guard pads. They're too squishy to act as a washer and the problem will soon re-emerge.

Hope that helps.

Haggis

sparkymark567
-20th October 2003, 12:07
I would guess you're using a handle and a blade made by two different companies. A common problem. Make it fit!! aha a hammer.

Rdb811
-20th October 2003, 12:32
I usually cut through my pads so the pommel doesn't swivel around on the crushed pad.

reposte
-20th October 2003, 13:53
What do you call in English those little metal rings you can put around a tang?
I'd use them in case the pad's not long enough. Anyway, doesn't your coach know how to handle these situations?

bydande
-20th October 2003, 14:20
Hi Aoife,
When I have this problem with pistol grips I usually do one of two things.
either:
1. remove the pistol grip and cut a little bit off the tang with a hacksaw before replacing it. The shortened tang should now be short enough so that it doesnt protrude through the allen key nut and can be fully tightened.
or
2. I replace the normal allen key nut with a Prieur nut. The Prieur nuts are different from the normal allen key nuts in that they are tightened with an external fitting 8m socket which means the tang can protrude through the nut. The advantage to this approach is that you dont need to cut the tang so short and so it is easier to change sizes or makes of pistol grip - like I have recently done with my quick growing daughter. The disadvantage is that very few people will have a Prieur tightening tool in their bag.

Hope this helps

hokers
-20th October 2003, 14:38
Originally posted by bydande
1. remove the pistol grip and cut a little bit off the tang with a hacksaw before replacing it. The shortened tang should now be short enough so that it doesnt protrude through the allen key nut and can be fully tightened.

Be very careful when sawing bits off the end of the tang! I took about 4mm off one of my sabres that was loose, and its too short to fit together now :(

Dave Hillier
-20th October 2003, 14:40
Just remove the pommell and put some washers in between the handle and the pommell. It's the quick and dirty solution.

If you really do need to put more thread on the tang you will need an M6 die.

bydande
-20th October 2003, 14:52
Hokers,
You are not alone. I know somebody else who did exactly the same with their sabre blade - so they then had to cut a bit off their sabre grip in order to get it to fit. Not an ideal result.

So if you are cutting anything remember the old saying - "measure twice, cut once". Corny but good advice all the same.

Which is why I use the Prieur nuts on all of my family's Foils and Epees.

Aoife
-21st October 2003, 20:07
Prieur nuts eh? An where would those be found? (it would help if we could find the allen key that came with the grips--- but instead we have a large selection we pick and mix from trying to get it right- we've just about found one that works for both types of grips now! :) )

cut a little bit off the tang with a hacksaw before replacing it.

Hmmn, if it comes to that, the good old DT department might be getting a visit.

Haggis, thanks for your suggestions, I'll try taling the grips apart again and seeing which bits are the wrong size of the other bits.

I would guess you're using a handle and a blade made by two different companies.

:confused: Ermmm, that's a distinct possibilty :) (especially with the Frenchs)

I usually cut through my pads so the pommel doesn't swivel around on the crushed pad.

Ah-hah- that sounds a lot like the problem with the Frenchs, I could have a look into that!!!

What do you call in English those little metal rings you can put around a tang?

I think you're refering to a washer.

Anyway, doesn't your coach know how to handle these situations?

:rolling:

(why do you think I'm trying to sort it? :) )