PDA

View Full Version : Captcha on registration? Cut out the spam?

hokers
-18th September 2007, 13:13
Any chance we could have some sort of Captcha-type image recognition added to the registration so we don't end up hit by every forum spambot out there?

There must be a fair few available, I've seen some vBulletin forums that won't even let you run a search without image authentication.

TLove
-19th September 2007, 00:17
I believe that fencingforum currently uses the CMS login scripts instead of the vBulletin ones (vBulletin is then presumably integrated with the CMS member database).

AFAIK CAPTCHA can be installed as an add-on module for Drupal however.

wingnutLP
-19th September 2007, 06:53
yep, registration is now through drupal...

When we setup I couldn't fine a captcha or similar system but I will have another look today if I get a sec.

TLove
-19th September 2007, 13:40
Try http://drupal.org/project/captcha

wingnutLP
-20th September 2007, 09:25
Will install: http://drupal.org/project/riddler

ASAP as captcha can be done by most people, it can only be done by english speakers with Fencing knowledge :)

rugmike
-21st September 2007, 18:00
Help.

Please tell me :-

A) If I need to know what you're talking about,

B) If I do, what are you talking about,

and

C) Do I need to DO anything about what you're talking about,even if I don't understand what you're talking about, after you've told me.

Oh, and this isn't spam, but a sincere request, with the aim of trying to counter my enormous lack of computer understanding.

[And please, how do I underline something on the Forum, 'cos there isn't a button for it (not that I've ever found, anyway - see above re: lack...........)]

hokers
-21st September 2007, 23:29
No you don't need to worry about it.

We're talking about putting a system in place to block automatic registrations to the forum by making them recognise random numbers/letters in a picture, which is very hard for an automated system, but relatively easy for a real person.

This should stop a fair bit of the spam we keep getting posted.

Gav
-22nd September 2007, 14:48
We are not getting as much spam as we used to.

Whatever happened to that minimum post count prior to posting links?

TLove
-23rd September 2007, 12:30
No you don't need to worry about it.

We're talking about putting a system in place to block automatic registrations to the forum by making them recognise random numbers/letters in a picture, which is very hard for an automated system, but relatively easy for a real person.

This should stop a fair bit of the spam we keep getting posted.

Spambots are getting more and more advanced in terms of recognising CAPTCHA images. In fact, the level of obfustication required nowadays can often make it tricky for people with eyesight difficulties!

Question and Answer programs, like Wignut mentioned, are pretty impervious to spambots.

And please, how do I underline something on the Forum, 'cos there isn't a button for it (not that I've ever found, anyway - see above re: lack...........)

If you don't have formatting buttons at the top of your text window, type in the BB Code for underlining manually. At the start of the underlined phrase type (u) and at the end type (/u). Use square brackets instead of brackets.

TLove
-23rd September 2007, 12:33
Oh, and in your UserCP, go to options --> miscellaneous and check the text editing option. Try selecting 'advanced' or similar if it's set to the simple text box only.

wingnutLP
-23rd September 2007, 13:33
Allegedly people are employed to do the captch images in some cases.

Usually these people can't speak english so if they have a question to answer especially one related to the topic of the forum then they are stuffed!

wingnutLP
-11th December 2007, 15:19
Well this is turning out a bit tricky!

The most common captcha module for drupal will not work :( Fatal error blah blah blah.

The forum form is available but not linked to and that has a secret question on it so I can only assume that the spammers are registering in drupal and posting in VB which seems a bit unlikley!

TLove
-12th December 2007, 00:40
I read a news article recently that people (men) were downloading female desktop strippers which asked you to identify a CAPTCHA image before the girl in the program got 'interesting'. The thing here being the CAPTCHA image would be one on a real website the spammers were trying to get in to. Thus, random members of the public would unwittingly be solving the CAPTCHA images for spammers.

Last bit seems unlikely for sure.
Which Drupal plugins have you tried?