PDA

View Full Version : Large size jackets

plewis66
-22nd October 2003, 12:16
I went fencing last night for the first tmie in about 13 or 14 years. I've been waiting before going back until the gym visits had the desired effect, and my chest size reduced to 48(!), as I believed from surfing suppliers web sites that this was the largest jacket size available.

However, though I now fit comfortably into my 48inch suit jackets, it was a darned struggle to get into the biggest jacket available (which was indeed 48).

Does anyone know where I could get a larger sized jacket?

Gav
-22nd October 2003, 12:24
I've heard that some manufacturers will make a larger size if it is requested (you will probably be charged a premium).

Brett
-22nd October 2003, 12:57
Uhlmann and Duellist will both make custom jackets no problem as, I assume, do Leon Paul. Uhlmann charge an extra 15% to tailor a jacket. I don't think Duellist charge any extra, but you will obviously have to wait a bit longer than for standard stock. I suggest you phone around.

http://www.uhlmann-fechtsport.de/
I've dealt with these guys over the phone and found them very helpful. Their sizing chart is on their website in the catalogue.

http://www.duellist.com/
These guys are based in Twickenham and get their stuff made to order anyway, so it shouldn't be a hassle.

As for Leon Paul - you're there already - go to the shop link above. I'm sure one of the Pauls will leap onto this thread and explain that they, too, are able to customise stuff :-)

Boo Boo
-22nd October 2003, 13:08
If enquiring about Uhlmann, you might want to speak to Uhlmann UK instead... http://www.uhlmann-fencing.co.uk.

I am sure that Allstar do made to order jackets - http://www.allstar-fencing.co.uk/

I am also sure, as Brett says, that Leon Paul make to order too.

I agree with Brett, phone around and see what prices you get quoted. Good luck and congratulations with getting back into fencing :)

Boo

plewis66
-22nd October 2003, 13:12
Thanks guys, I'll get onto those mentioned, and hopefully get some joy!

Thanks again

srb
-22nd October 2003, 13:38
48" !!!

I think large people, tall people, young people, and fit people shouldn't be allowed to fence.

So if you're young, fit, tall and well built - take up tiddly winks as you know you should.

srb

Mantis
-22nd October 2003, 13:52
Originally posted by srb
So if you're young, fit, tall and well built - take up tiddly winks as you know you should.

Hmmm, the thought of someone the size of Jonah Lomu crouching down to play tiddly winks ... :grin:

Boo Boo
-22nd October 2003, 14:03
Originally posted by srb

I think large people, tall people, young people, and fit people shouldn't be allowed to fence.
srb

In other words, you should be slim, petit, "distinguished" and not so fit to fence....

Boo
(still trying to explain the dent in her chest protector shaped like srb's head... :confused: )

srb
-22nd October 2003, 14:28
Okay I'll be generous, girls and left handers are allowed.

srb

plewis66
-22nd October 2003, 15:14
Originally posted by srb
48" !!!

Yeah, but that's down from 52 over the last three months.

At this rate, I'm due to be slim as a racing snake sometime around xmas 2004!

Rdb811
-22nd October 2003, 20:25
48" - that makes two of us - and I'm sure mines across the shoulders.

kingkenny
-23rd October 2003, 07:39
go to the shop link above. I'm sure one of the Pauls will leap onto this thread and explain that they, too, are able to customise stuff :-)
Watch me leap. :grin:

Exgeordielass
-24th October 2003, 12:23
We've had some jackets made up for the Club. Blades are Leon Paul were both willing to make, took about 5 weeks to arrive - just enough time for our 6 week course to finish and the fencer involved to leave! Our largest jacket is a 52" chest. We tend to buy kit on the large size as when it is washed (less frequently than we would like) it has to be machine dried - due to sheer volume and the cussedness of the laundress (me!).

Well done on the reduction in size and keep it up. I've reduced a couple of dress sizes but I'm not going to own up to my chest size yet but I can now shop at Monsoon!:party:

bucket
-28th October 2003, 10:17
48"- alright wee man ! (50" chest, b-cup bucket)

allstar go up to a 50" size (M60 they call it) and like the others said , duellist and that make custom ones for those of us who are rather large.

as for those who say that I'm too large to fence- "ahm gonnae eat ye" (Austin powers 2)

warning Fat bucket fleching on saturday (busa).

plewis66
-28th October 2003, 10:35
Hmm. Had me excited for a minute, but it seems from their sizing chart that M60 is 47" chest (measurement number 2), and it is hips that go to 49" (measurement number 4).

Oddly enough, their 'mens large sizes' range only seems to go up to 45", less than their normal sizes?!

Dave Hillier
-28th October 2003, 10:46
you might want to try one of the american companies they are probably more likely to cater for the larger gentleman.

plewis66
-28th October 2003, 12:33
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
you might want to try one of the american companies they are probably more likely to cater for the larger gentleman.

Good shout. Allstar US do jackets up to size 50. Which is maybe where bucket was coming from...

Cheers all.

Dave Hillier
-28th October 2003, 12:36
you could try gofence.com I think that they are importing american stuff

plewis66
-28th October 2003, 12:47
Nah. 46" max at gofence. It's a bit misleading, because they do 'size' 58 in mens, which is 116cm, or about 44".