PDA

View Full Version : BUSA Individuals

scottishsabreur
-25th October 2007, 13:43
Unfortunately it seems my uni will be unable to produce a ladies team for busa this year so I'm more interested in the Individual championships this year...

Should be a strong year for sabre since the ladies have both Christie Waddington and Robynne Stenner to contend with. Mens should be good too, since Anthony Crutchett will probably compete again and after Henry Gann's performance at the Junior British Champs he might actually have a fight on his hands this year.

Not sure who'll be there for the other weapons (don't generally keep up-to-date with silly weapons like foil and epee :P). Does anyone else know who to keep an eye on this year? I have heard that Glasgow uni might have an exceptional foreign epeeist...

HB Pencil
-25th October 2007, 13:59
Thats because Strathclyde Uni suck big time :P ..............hell u guys even lost 2 us last year :P

Does the exceptional epeeist have a name? im turned on at the thought of a good epeeist in Scottish Uni fencing, gives us all something to aim at for once........tho just o be annoying Harding decided to go to uni too, cheeky sod, i swear he just does it to spite me sometimes!

Btw Scottish Sabreur, if your looking for someone 2 head down 2 BUSA indvs with let me know as im going 2 head down this year as its my last chance to :( looks like ill be joining you down to Welsh too :D

Foilling Around
-25th October 2007, 14:41
Assuming that the BUSA Individuals are still in Nottingham, are they paying referees and who do I contact to volunteer?

pigeonmeister
-25th October 2007, 14:57
I would contact either Nottingham Uni's AU head or BUSA themselves.

I remember Downunder being there so I assume they paid him. This could, however, have been a one off given his FIE qualifications. I'm not convinced they pay volunteer refs- but could not say for sure. I'm sure your help would be gratefully received eitherway.

And they are still in Nottingham.

D'Artignan
-25th October 2007, 15:17
Thats because Strathclyde Uni suck big time :P ..............hell u guys even lost 2 us last year :P

And our team consisted of a foilist who was barely able to lie down, never mind stand, a sabbie and one of those eep-wielders....:whistle:

HB Pencil
-25th October 2007, 15:32
Exactly and what a team we were D'art! Greatest team in the history of Dundee Uni!

Tho this year we are now down to just one of the origional 3........hmmm.......what u doing nxt weekend D'art fancy a comeback? i promise lots of drink :D

P.S nothin wrong with being an eep-wielder lol :P

Asprin
-25th October 2007, 16:20
Does the exceptional epeeist have a name? im turned on at the thought of a good epeeist in Scottish Uni fencing, gives us all something to aim at for once........tho just o be annoying Harding decided to go to uni too, cheeky sod, i swear he just does it to spite me sometimes!

If you mean Chris Harding, he's at Napier. Napier Uni now has a total of two fencers and we are working on getting a club.

TLove
-25th October 2007, 16:43
two fencers and we are working on getting a club.

With nails in?

Asprin
-25th October 2007, 17:28
With nails in?

Now that you mention it, there are some nails in the club!!

We are trying to set up a uni club but our uni's rules on sports clubs are quite complicated.

D'Artignan
-25th October 2007, 22:21
Exactly and what a team we were D'art! Greatest team in the history of Dundee Uni!

Tho this year we are now down to just one of the origional 3........hmmm.......what u doing nxt weekend D'art fancy a comeback? i promise lots of drink :D
Erm, I'm getting completely trolleyed at a mates party. Either that or working.

scottishsabreur
-26th October 2007, 14:38
And our team consisted of a foilist who was barely able to lie down, never mind stand, a sabbie and one of those eep-wielders....:whistle:

Hmmm...yes shame there is only one girl at strathclyde who can actually fence...and that's me...and even then "fence" is a slight exaggeration...wave a sabre about with some coordination would be more accurate...it's sad to think that had we been fielding a team I would have been the "strong" fencer in all three weapons... :S infact not sad...worrying!!!

Would just like to point out to dundee that I beat your sabbie 5-12 in the last fight of the sabre match...shame you only needed 5 to win...I'm not freakin super woman!!!

monster munch
-26th October 2007, 21:11
Hmmm...yes shame there is only one girl at strathclyde who can actually fence...and that's me...and even then "fence" is a slight exaggeration...wave a sabre about with some coordination would be more accurate...it's sad to think that had we been fielding a team I would have been the "strong" fencer in all three weapons... :S infact not sad...worrying!!!

Would just like to point out to dundee that I beat your sabbie 5-12 in the last fight of the sabre match...shame you only needed 5 to win...I'm not freakin super woman!!!

oh shut up you silly girl. how many times has she beaten you? only every competition i can think of. you will maybe learn one day that if there is no contest in a team busa match - you are unlikely to try very hard.
i should probably also mention that i think i probably reffed that fight - and... from what i remember she actually won (although cant remember the score to argue this case).

Bambi
-27th October 2007, 17:53
oh shut up you silly girl. how many times has she beaten you? only every competition i can think of. you will maybe learn one day that if there is no contest in a team busa match - you are unlikely to try very hard.
i should probably also mention that i think i probably reffed that fight - and... from what i remember she actually won (although cant remember the score to argue this case).

Meow!!!

PM1
-29th October 2007, 00:12
Serious question (sorry): it is clear which weapon(s) will be fenced on which day, please ?? It wasn't when I last looked on the BUSA site. Tis a bit important......:whistle:

Red
-29th October 2007, 01:10
Usual format is

Friday - WS ME
Saturday - WE MF
Sunday - WF MS

Jan O'C
-29th October 2007, 10:53
Unfortunately it seems my uni will be unable to produce a ladies team for busa this year so I'm more interested in the Individual championships this year...

Should be a strong year for sabre since the ladies have both Christie Waddington and Robynne Stenner to contend with. Mens should be good too, since Anthony Crutchett will probably compete again and after Henry Gann's performance at the Junior British Champs he might actually have a fight on his hands this year.

Not sure who'll be there for the other weapons (don't generally keep up-to-date with silly weapons like foil and epee :P). Does anyone else know who to keep an eye on this year? I have heard that Glasgow uni might have an exceptional foreign epeeist...

Hmm, probably not re Anthony and Henry (and also Alex again this year) as there is a Sabre Junior A Grade on that weekend in Italy so the top 9 Under 20 MS and WS won't be around for the BUSA individuals unless they choose to do that instead of the A Grade (unlikely if they want to go to the World Championships!).

Red
-29th October 2007, 10:58
Hmm, probably not re Anthony and Henry (and also Alex again this year) as there is a Sabre Junior A Grade on that weekend in Italy so the top 9 Under 20 MS and WS won't be around for the BUSA individuals unless they choose to do that instead of the A Grade (unlikely if they want to go to the World Championships!).

Fantastic! (from my point of view) I might even get a shot a medalling!

Jan O'C
-29th October 2007, 11:03

Ah well, every cloud has a silver lining! Good luck then, hope you get your medal. Btw shouldn't you be at a lecture or in the library writing intelligent things etc?

Red
-29th October 2007, 11:08
Ah well, every cloud has a silver lining! Good luck then, hope you get your medal. Btw shouldn't you be at a lecture or in the library writing intelligent things etc?

I'm just about to leave for a lecture - the week has a lazy start (12:00 is the first lecture), but then it's all work, work, work.... :( The joys of being a 4th year physics student...

Odd Job
-29th October 2007, 13:20
taken from entry information -

Menís Epee: Report by 11.00am on Friday 7 December.
Womenís Sabre: Report by 12.15pm on Friday 7 December.

Menís Foil: Report by 9.00am on Saturday 8 December.
Womenís Epee: Report by 9.45am on Saturday 8 December.
Womenís Foil: Report by 9.00am on Sunday 9 December.
Menís Sabre: Report by 9.45am on Sunday 9 December.

Anyone arriving after the final registration time will be eliminated

PM1
-29th October 2007, 20:00
Thank you Red, thank you Odd Job, and b£%^&....Junior A grade epee will take precedence.....:mad:

Nick_C
-29th October 2007, 22:07

:eek:

Red
-29th October 2007, 22:42
:eek:

Thank you Mr Nick. If I do it, will you buy me a pint?

Nick_C
-29th October 2007, 23:52
I will buy you a car

Gangsta G
-30th October 2007, 00:04
I will buy you a carHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! !!!! I had to stifle my laughs so as not to wake up my house mates!!

Re. refs, I remember last year randomsabreur, uglybug, Austalian and David were all there - although hopefully Australian will be fencing this year!

Red
-30th October 2007, 00:14
I will buy you a car

A car?

Hmmmm.....

You serious?

scottishsabreur
-30th October 2007, 13:34

Hmmm...shame that my brother was DT at that comp so i do have the score to back up my claim... :P

pigeonmeister
-30th October 2007, 13:38
Fight! Fight! Fight!

scottishsabreur
-30th October 2007, 13:44
Fight! Fight! Fight!

lol! I'm afraid, as much as I would like to entertain you all, I will not stoop to the levels of whatever random it was decide to launch a personal attack :p

As I said, "fence" is a bit of an exaggeration when it comes to what I do on the piste so there is no need to go off on one, like midgetmunch or honeymonster or whatever they are called did :p Anyway, my tongue is sharper than my sabre so it's best that I bite it now...my tongue...not my sabre :p

HB Pencil
-30th October 2007, 18:15
Ahhh u kidz these days! You'all need 2 chill out a bit, i know the whole its not the winning its the taking part that counts........well it doesnt always apply to everyone. But come on kidz chill out! Though got to admit cant wait For MMunch and Scottie Sab to meet up at the weekend.......preferably in a drunknen state!

CAT FIGHT!!!! Ill ref the fight with Bambi :P

Bambi
-31st October 2007, 09:04
Sounds like a great idea HB.

Any ideas for an arena?? Sat night on Union Street could be an idea, at least that was we could have a drink at the same time!!!

scottishsabreur
-31st October 2007, 11:44
Ahhh u kidz these days! You'all need 2 chill out a bit, i know the whole its not the winning its the taking part that counts........well it doesnt always apply to everyone.

Hmmm...you mean like when you put Stuart Marshall out in the last 64 at Britsol Open...cos the winning really didn't matter then...?? lol! :p

HB Pencil
-31st October 2007, 13:16
AH! Bambi great plan! The battle arena shall indeed be Union Street, thats the general battle arena in Aberdeen anyway from what i remember! Down a purple rain as we watch the fight lol.

TBH i didnt really care if i won or lost that fight...........until i won that is then i was ever so slightly ecstatic! Its not that hard to beat me in sabre.......even Glenn has done it before :P lol, was funny tho! Gotta love an epeeist fencing sabre! Always oh so sexy!

ROLE ON THE WEEKEND!!

scottishsabreur
-31st October 2007, 13:20
TBH i didnt really care if i won or lost that fight...........until i won that is then i was ever so slightly ecstatic! Its not that hard to beat me in sabre.......even Glenn has done it before :P lol, was funny tho! Gotta love an epeeist fencing sabre! Always oh so sexy!

ROLE ON THE WEEKEND!!

yes, yes, but we all know that Glenn is just an epeeist in disguise!!! :p Meh, seems to work perfectly for him anyway...maybe I should fence epee??? ;)

MakeTradeFair
-31st October 2007, 21:01
Alright gang,
I unfortunately will not be able to be at this years event as I will be in France.
Best of luck to the Dundee scum - hope you boys can make the most of D'art and I's hard work promoting you guys to Divisiono Uno.

Hope the weekend goes well,

MTF

D'Artignan
-1st November 2007, 01:44
Best of luck to the Dundee scum - hope you boys can make the most of D'art and I's hard work promoting you guys to Divisiono Uno.
Hard work? I don't think I sobered up the whole weekend....:whistle:

How's that for fighting talk?:D

PM1
-14th November 2007, 19:50
Thank you Red, thank you Odd Job, and b£%^&....Junior A grade epee will take precedence.....:mad:

Oh no it doesn't........BUSA individuals it is......not sure about this.....

KJK
-15th November 2007, 05:42
I suppose if you are funded by your Uni then your commitment has to be BUSA. It is such a pity they clash. Calendar too full again! Other Junior A grades clashed with the Leicester, the Miller Hallett and the Welsh! -- A very difficult decision for the Men Epeeists to make.

Gangsta G
-15th November 2007, 10:21
I suppose if you are funded by your Uni then your commitment has to be BUSA. It is such a pity they clash. Calendar too full again! Other Junior A grades clashed with the Leicester, the Miller Hallett and the Welsh! -- A very difficult decision for the Men Epeeists to make.And the Advalus Pro Sabre was the same date as Sosonowiec. (This was not a nominated event but used as a warm-up before the Junior Europeans). If you want to go to the World Championships then the decision is a simple one. Juniors have plenty of years after they are juniors when they can worry about their senior rankings!

Red
-16th November 2007, 14:43
Back on topic, our entry has been sent in - 24 so far with possibly 3 late entries.

jamesthornton
-16th November 2007, 16:18
i am gonna stick my neck out here and say that if you havemt already reached the qualifying standard for the worlds by the BUSA weekend then there is Surely only one option. I no what i would choose in the same situation.

TBennett
-17th November 2007, 10:22
i am gonna stick my neck out here and say that if you havemt already reached the qualifying standard for the worlds by the BUSA weekend then there is Surely only one option. I no what i would choose in the same situation.

I concur. Its just not a contest.......

KJK
-17th November 2007, 12:33

Yes BUT the trip to Laupheim this weekend is the first opportunity most of the junior epeeists will have to qualify for the worlds. So unless they get a L16 there then they will need to go to Lignano to try again-- Lignano clashes with BUSA!!. They do have three other opportunities after Christmas-- but nothing can be decided before BUSA unless, as stated they get a L16 in Laupheim. The calendar and selection simply does not allow them.

MatFink
-17th November 2007, 14:04
I had originally assumed from JT's post that his view was go to BUSA on the basis if you haven't got your qualifier by that stage your not likely to qualify anyway.

But Tom's supportive statement puts this interpretation in question. Of course Tom never faced this dilema having easily qualified for the Worlds well before the BUSA date in his first university year.

James also never faced this issue, being out of the Junior's before he fenced in BUSA for the first time.

None the less, as two of our top young epeeists their opinion would be valuable and interesting on this matter.

Just can't work out if they are arguing for or against attendance of the BUSA championship above the event at Lignano??

KJK
-17th November 2007, 14:39
They could only have qualified well before BUSA if they had attended nominated Junior A grades-- something not really possible this year as Laupheim is the first event to be nominated as that is this weekend and Lignano the second nominated Junior A grade -- and that clashes with BUSA. So quite a difficult call for them. However there have been other A grades the selectors could have chosen from -- but, guess what, they clashed with the nominated domestic events they have chosen. So what is an epeeist to do ???

Gangsta G
-17th November 2007, 16:59
However there have been other A grades the selectors could have chosen from -- but, guess what, they clashed with the nominated domestic events they have chosen. So what is an epeeist to do ???You are not going to qualify for the Worlds via good domestic events. (Not under the current selection criteria anyway). Of course, if you attend an A grade over a nominated domestic, you risk losing your place on the squad if you don't score at the A grade, someone below you scores at the domestic (not an unlikely scenario, let's face it), and therefore overtakes you. Quite frankly I find it bizarre that there is a nominated domestic and a nominated A grade on the same weekend.

TBennett
-17th November 2007, 17:27
I had originally assumed from JT's post that his view was go to BUSA on the basis if you haven't got your qualifier by that stage your not likely to qualify anyway.

But Tom's supportive statement puts this interpretation in question. Of course Tom never faced this dilema having easily qualified for the Worlds well before the BUSA date in his first university year.

James also never faced this issue, being out of the Junior's before he fenced in BUSA for the first time.

None the less, as two of our top young epeeists their opinion would be valuable and interesting on this matter.

Just can't work out if they are arguing for or against attendance of the BUSA championship above the event at Lignano??

Thats up to your interpretation.......You know what I would do really....

I know what I would do in this situation. I know I have been fortunate in my results in relation to this but the BUSA's are, whilst being great for the university standings, not as great a challenge as an A-Grade. Bear in mind that our juniors last year had a torrid time trying to qualify for the worlds. I would very much like them to prove me wrong and all finish in the L16 in Laupheim but it is a tough place to go.. So having only 4-5 attempts each officially is a hard route to take. My last year Juniors I actually went to (I think) 3 extra non-nominated A-grades off my own back which could (not sure but worth looking into) be taken into account when looking at selection.

Anyway.. back to the original point which was which is more important to the fencer. BUSA's or having a chance to qualify for the Worlds? hehe ;)

pinkelephant
-17th November 2007, 19:56
My last year Juniors I actually went to (I think) 3 extra non-nominated A-grades off my own back which could (not sure but worth looking into) be taken into account when looking at selection.

Not in your last Junior year, they weren't. L16s in non-nominated events were completely disregarded.

TBennett
-17th November 2007, 22:13
Maybe they might be considered for future years?? If that is any of the current lot want to go on their own anywhere....

PM1
-18th November 2007, 11:06
Maybe they might be considered for future years?? If that is any of the current lot want to go on their own anywhere....

Some do go to other A grade comps, but that's only for experience and has the effect of improving their FIE junior ranking if they are lucky - no efect on GB rankings. And they run the "risk" of being called "tourists"......

And yes, what is more important to the FENCER - a chance to qualify for the Worlds or BUSA individuals? Guess what my response to that is....and Boy's......Catch 22

mozzar
-18th November 2007, 16:57
I know Swansea uni are trying to get their AU to pay for (or at least subsidise) the cost of the competition. Any other unis managed to convince their AU to do the same? I think we're going to go begging on our hands and knees on Monday to see if they'll help towards the cost ('cus quite frankly twenty pound per weapon is a stupid amount to pay).

Asprin
-18th November 2007, 20:49
I'm supposed to get getting some money from Napier, but whether it turns up before the competition, well that's unlikely.

gbm
-18th November 2007, 21:15
I know Swansea uni are trying to get their AU to pay for (or at least subsidise) the cost of the competition. Any other unis managed to convince their AU to do the same? I think we're going to go begging on our hands and knees on Monday to see if they'll help towards the cost ('cus quite frankly twenty pound per weapon is a stupid amount to pay).

Our Uni paid £280 for the first weapon of all fencers (except one late person because the cheque was already printed), and then the club is subsidising £100 for the remaining entries.

Previously however they have paid zero (there was a contribution last year).

I paid £54 once to enter the BUSAs :eek:

Red
-18th November 2007, 21:52

100% of the entry fee (four late entries will pay the £5 late fee themselves), and the minibus hire are being paid for by our sports association. All we have to pay for is the diesel (approx £2.50 per person per day), so approximately £90 cost to the students.

The main challenge now is to make sure the treasurer writes it down on next years budget just to be sure that we will get the grant money.

jamesthornton
-19th November 2007, 13:00
Matt if you honestly think i would choose busa over an a grade i think you clearly do not no me as well as you think.

I recall fencing in an A Grade last year instead of the BUSA Finals.

I was trying to be subtle but feel i now need to clear the point.

Tom interpreted my post correctly as i am sure most other people did.

As an individual athlete you would in my opinion never choose BUSA over a World Cup Event.

pinkelephant
-19th November 2007, 16:00
And that's the 2006 ME Champion and the 2005 ME Champion in total agreement.

pinkelephant
-19th November 2007, 16:03
Of course, the real dilemma is when your university blackmails you by saying it will cut your funding if you don't do BUSA. That's called being between a rock and a hard place.

scottishsabreur
-19th November 2007, 17:32

Most unis have a BUSA fund, your entry should be paid for from this. It is generally accepted that AUs will at least partial fund travel and accomodation costs, we get £12 per night accomodation and 75% of travel costs...I even persuaded my uni to pay for a flight and the cost of my outsize baggage last year :p Although the funding isn't recieved in advance you should be able to claim it back.

TBennett
-19th November 2007, 17:52
Matt if you honestly think i would choose busa over an a grade i think you clearly do not no me as well as you think.

I recall fencing in an A Grade last year instead of the BUSA Finals.

I was trying to be subtle but feel i now need to clear the point.

Tom interpreted my post correctly as i am sure most other people did.

As an individual athlete you would in my opinion never choose BUSA over a World Cup Event.

Haha....indeedy.

TBennett
-19th November 2007, 17:55
(Just don't tell my uni.... ;) ). Kidding....they know its all good.

MatFink
-19th November 2007, 21:38
Oh well I must admit from a personal view point I would always take the same view as Jimmy and Tom, and they are in a better position than any to offer this advice.

However I will make the point that if your Uni is footing the bill for the international events, then it is not entirely unreasonable to expect some BUSA results in return.

It is I feel high time that BUSA communicated with the BFA or the BFA weapon captains made some allowance for the BUSA's (after all it is a British Title up for grabs)

I will leave it to others to make up their pwn opinion who should be talking to whom to avoid such clshes in the future.

Asprin
-19th November 2007, 23:08
Most unis have a BUSA fund, your entry should be paid for from this. It is generally accepted that AUs will at least partial fund travel and accomodation costs, we get £12 per night accomodation and 75% of travel costs...I even persuaded my uni to pay for a flight and the cost of my outsize baggage last year :p Although the funding isn't recieved in advance you should be able to claim it back.

I'm getting £9 per night for accommodation and full travel costs as well as entry paid by our SU. And they are going to pay for it whenever I come in with a receipt.

Kepster
-20th November 2007, 09:24
I'm getting £9 per night for accommodation and full travel costs as well as entry paid by our SU. And they are going to pay for it whenever I come in with a receipt.

I'm so jealous of all you lot who are getting funding - us Lancaster types are funding it all ourselves, same as in previous years...

Asprin
-20th November 2007, 11:27
I'm the only one from my uni going and that's the SU's rules for sponsoring a single person.

Also its the first BUSA fencing comp ever entered by the uni.

Red
-20th November 2007, 11:34
I'm so jealous of all you lot who are getting funding - us Lancaster types are funding it all ourselves, same as in previous years...

Er... have you asked your AU for money?
Them's as don't ask, don't get!

Kepster
-20th November 2007, 16:16

5th year of trying - unfortunately Lancaster doesn't have a particular sporting focus, so the budget is somewhat limited. Now to see if our sponsors will come up with something, however cash is always difficult...

Dalesman
-20th November 2007, 16:19

Maybe it's me been thick but what is the AU :confused:

Gangsta G
-20th November 2007, 16:24
Maybe it's me been thick but what is the AU :confused:Athletic Union

Dalesman
-20th November 2007, 16:35
Athletic Union

Thanks Gangsta G, it was me being thick :D

Asprin
-20th November 2007, 17:35
Although some uni's have the SU which is the Sports Union.

Red
-20th November 2007, 17:41
And we have an SA - Sports Association.

We have no particular sporting focus at Leicester, yet somebody in Badminton persuaded the Sports Exec that it would be a good idea to pay for the entry to their BUSA individuals this year, so now the money is being spent on other clubs for the same thing.

Meet with other captains at your uni and see what you can come up with. Maybe together you can apply pressure at the AU or Student Union AGM?

Asprin
-20th November 2007, 20:50
I just went and handed the form to him and he said "we'll pay".

Gangsta G
-20th November 2007, 21:32
I just went and handed the form to him and he said "we'll pay".See how easy it is! Well done!

gorilla_dan
-27th November 2007, 17:21
Ack...Friday Morning...
...I'd forgotten they still existed!
Ah well. I'll live.

Anyways, what're the BUSA individuals like? Ultra-competitive? Or fairly relaxed?
(Actually, come to think of it, what are competitions in general like? :p )

Nick_C
-4th December 2007, 13:50
Good luck to all Welsh fencers!!

silvercross
-4th December 2007, 16:19
BUSA Individuals are what you make of them, really.

The ultracompetitive fencers take it dead serious, because you get to be British Uni Champion.

Those looking for a comp to start off see it as a good challenge.

Those that take the weekend as a giant piss up and a darn good party do exactly that.

Others do the 'sampler platter' option, and compete at a high level for their favourite weapon and have a laugh at the other two (epeeists doing sabre and slapping propper sabreurs about with simple point in line attacks 'couple years back was a hoot!):D

It is unpredictable and energetic and fun and intense and a jolly good time.

Red
-4th December 2007, 16:29
Unless you're there to win it, the result is generally random...

Knocked out in the foil last year thanks to the spare foil having a different handle on it... And got more and more upset... sorry PinkElephant... :o
Lesson learnt though...

pigeonmeister
-4th December 2007, 17:18
Gutted. Injury means I will be missing my first BUSA individs in 4 years. Only consulation is that I'll get to cheer on my team mates...well, and the fact that I've already got a silver and bronze from last two years :)

Good Luck Brum!!!- hoping for some individual medals to make up for what's been a difficult season for the teams.

pinkelephant
-4th December 2007, 17:33
Unless you're there to win it, the result is generally random...

Knocked out in the foil last year thanks to the spare foil having a different handle on it... And got more and more upset... sorry PinkElephant... :o
Lesson learnt though...

Don't remember that!

Red
-4th December 2007, 18:07
Don't remember that!

Last 128 fight... I was 14-13 up, foil stopped working, changed it - found that the grip was far too slippy and got rather frustrated... You seemed to get rather angry in my general direction at my apparent procrastination, and I threw it away. (the bout, not the weapon...)

Won't be repeated this year - foil should be a breeze :rolleyes:

Gangsta G
-4th December 2007, 18:15
Gutted. Injury means I will be missing my first BUSA individs in 4 years. Only consulation is that I'll get to cheer on my team mates...well, and the fact that I've already got a silver and bronze from last two years :)

Good Luck Brum!!!- hoping for some individual medals to make up for what's been a difficult season for the teams.You still can't spell though.

Red
-6th December 2007, 22:27
Somebody is going to get hit on their back leg tomorrow... :p

pigeonmeister
-7th December 2007, 11:07
OK- can't even cheer on boys/girls now. Ambulanced to A+E last night after suspected slipped disk. Morphine=Good. Back home, but can't really stand let alone walk. Season over methinks- bugger.

Hope the Brum fencers bring me home some medals though...

Gangsta G
-7th December 2007, 13:21
It was really quite painful experiencing pigeonmeister doing his back in last night... as many of you probably know he's had back problems recently & being undergoing successful physio. He, shall we say, 'overexerted' himself during strength & conditioning last night - get well soon mate, you plonker!

Maxim
-7th December 2007, 16:21
Mens Epee:

1. Rob Jennings (ULU)
2. Tom Bennett (Royal Holloway)
=3 Costamanga (sp?)
=3 Fenwick
5. Kaj Ratneswaran

Red
-7th December 2007, 17:28
Somebody is going to get hit on their back leg tomorrow... :p

I got it! And the lucky recipient of the (one light) hit to the back leg was a tall chap from Oxford.

And whoop! Eleanor Hirst in the last 16! She's only been at it for a year and a bit :D

pigeonmeister
-7th December 2007, 17:47
Mens Epee:

1. Rob Jennings (ULU)
2. Tom Bennett (Royal Holloway)
=3 Costamanga (sp?)
=3 Fenwick
5. Kaj Ratneswaran

Didn't see that top 5 coming..well done Mr Jennings. Would have thought there would be a Northumbrian in the medals..

Red
-7th December 2007, 17:54
Didn't see that top 5 coming..well done Mr Jennings. Would have thought there would be a Northumbrian in the medals..

Mr Thornton seems to have broken himself again...

pigeonmeister
-7th December 2007, 17:59
That's bad news (he's not the only one).Even more so as there is a Pathway training weekend starting tomorrow that Jimmy is attending. Hope it's not too serious. How did Matt Stewart and RLJ do?

Red
-7th December 2007, 18:05
Not sure if he's broken broken - he was there refereeing and that was that. No idea about the other two, though I think RLJ got at least a 16 - I heard his name being called late in the day.

PM1
-7th December 2007, 19:18
Yup, Boy told me he was out in the L16, and I rather think it might have been to the eventual winner....but could be wrong:(

Whilst he was talking to me there was a lot of noise in the background....I gather it was Fenwick....

Dalesman
-7th December 2007, 19:45
Do the results get put up any where?

Junior just set off, after we spent many hour trying to get the Sat nav working :confused: , finally got it working, just hope it stary that way.

fa266
-7th December 2007, 19:47
Any WS results?

Good luck to Danny Kerr on Sunday!

Red
-7th December 2007, 21:06
1 Waddington
2 Stenner
3 = Melissa Overbury, Elisabeth Gernerd?

5-8 Claire Harding, Jenny McMillan, ????, ????

Red
-7th December 2007, 21:53
9-16 Maubon, Hirst* :cool:, Gilmore, others.....

* One of my first group of novice sabreurs - in October 06!!! Is pride in the achievements of one's pupil a form of vanity?

pigeonmeister
-8th December 2007, 16:22
GREAT DAY FOR BRUM!

All Brum final in WE- Helen Holloway beat Eryn Spinlove.
Tom Potterton 2nd in MF (not sure who beat him yet)

Well done- wish i could have been there.

pigeonmeister
-8th December 2007, 16:37
Tris Rowclife beat Potty 15-12. Well done Tris.

Dalesman
-8th December 2007, 16:37
Tom Potterton 2nd in MF (not sure who beat him yet)

Well done- wish i could have been there.

Does anyone else have any more MF results? :not_worth

pigeonmeister
-8th December 2007, 16:40
Afraid not..MF final only just finished and I've only been texted the results for our fencers.

Red
-8th December 2007, 17:07
After a brilliant last eight fight (finished 14-14 having been 13-12 down with 10 seconds to go... gripping stuff) Mr Fenwick has another bronze.

Dalesman
-8th December 2007, 17:11
After a brilliant last eight fight (finished 14-14 having been 13-12 down with 10 seconds to go... gripping stuff) Mr Fenwick has another bronze.

Who did he beat?

Red
-8th December 2007, 17:18
Somebody french? I'm not sure who he was, didn't recognise him.

Foilling Around
-8th December 2007, 18:21
Does anyone else have any more MF results? :not_worth

James Loggie and Andrew Caldwell joint 3rd

Red
-8th December 2007, 19:09

Maybe got my wires crossed here... After seeing this brilliant fight, I heard Tris Rowcliffe declare 'I'm in the last 4'. Wouldn't be the first time that I've got the wrong idea :rolleyes:

Boo Boo
-8th December 2007, 19:15
Not bad going for the South West and ex-BGS/QEH pupils then... Tris, Tom and Andy... :D

Boo

PM1
-9th December 2007, 12:49
...and Tris is MINE now....:cool: Good one, m'boy !!

fencingmum
-9th December 2007, 13:08
Any news filtering through from today yet?

Nick_C
-9th December 2007, 16:24
WF
1 Hannah Bryars (notsure)
2 Lydia Johnson (Swansea)
3 Tegan HIll (Loughborough)
3 Mo Perrnott (Cardiff)

MS

1 Egro (Bristol)
2Chris markall (Cardiff)
3 Colligan(NOtts)
3 ?

MF Off a low res pic on my phone

1 Rowcliffe (northumbria)
2 Potterton (brum)
3 Caldwell (oxford
3 Loggie (St Andrews)
5 caldwell (Bristol)
6 Bleakman (Oxford)
7 Fenwick (Ulster)
8 Yuon (Cambridge)
9 (southampton)
10 Gandolfi (sussex)
11 (st andrews)
12 West (Anglia)
13 Sumerball (Cambridge)

AussieMongrel
-9th December 2007, 16:26
Where did Red finsih after all he did think he was going to medal, guess that car is safe ;-)

Nick_C
-9th December 2007, 18:21
16 i think... yep safe and sound heh heh. Although he could have used a new car. Ah well!

pinkelephant
-9th December 2007, 18:35
Not sure if he's broken broken - he was there refereeing and that was that. No idea about the other two, though I think RLJ got at least a 16 - I heard his name being called late in the day.

Hurt his back falling down the stairs of a bus that did an emergency stop. Didn't get it checked out, then hurt it again in BUSA match Wednesday. The medics banned him from doing anything till he's had it X-rayed.

Red
-9th December 2007, 18:46
16 i think... yep safe and sound heh heh. Although he could have used a new car. Ah well!

Marc, I'm afraid Nick grossly exaggerated. While I could use a new car, the current one (1.7TD Astra Estate with only 175000 on the clock :whistle:) will suffice for a while, and I failed to get beyond the 32 thanks to dropping a stupid fight in the poule and losing stupid hits in my 32 by not moving enough.
Hopefully won't be my last shot at it - which reminds me that PhD/DPhil applications need to be done - eek!

Caithdein
-9th December 2007, 19:34
Just got back home from BUSA and realised I didn't get a copy of the results to put up here.

I am getting them emailed to me and will put them up when i get them, though i am out tomorrow night so it may be Tuesday

Sorry!

Normal service will be resumed next year - if I remember.

Right, I'm off for some food and to get some sleep....

Oh and thanks to everyone who went and made it a fun weekend - and special thanks to the fencers for not making the DT's (and therefore MY) life harder.

Dalesman
-10th December 2007, 08:57
WF
MF Off a low res pic on my phone

1 Rowcliffe (northumbria)
2 Potterton (brum)
3 Caldwell (oxford
3 Loggie (St Andrews)
5 caldwell (Bristol)
6 Bleakman (Oxford)
7 Fenwick (Ulster)
8 Yuon (Cambridge)

I think you may mean 6. Mathew Shearman, good name though :D :D

Gangsta G
-10th December 2007, 10:31
I feel fairly hard done by. Didier Nohlmans AND Daniel Kerr in my poule, beat Dan but lost to Didier, seeded 19th due to dropping far too many hits in the poule... only to come up against Dan in the 64! 12-15 later... and I would have had Will Purvis in the 32! The draw really was not with me yesterday :(

Still well done to Mr Kerr who went on to make the last 8, upsetting everyone, and to Francesco who really was a cut above everyone else in the end.

Finally... GO BRUM!! Top of the medal table I believe! We rock!!!!

Red
-10th December 2007, 10:56
Without the WE bronze medals, medal table is as follows

1 - Brum GSS
2 - Newcastle GS
3 - Imperial GB
4 - Northumbria G
4 - Bristol G
4 - ULU G
7 - Cardiff SB
8 - Swansea S
8 - Royal Holloway S
10 - Oxford B
10 - St Andrews B
10 - Nottingham B
10 - Lufbra B
10 - Ulster B
10 - Edinburgh B
10 - Kent B
10 - Bath B

(Hannah Bryars is from Imperial and the missing MS bronze was Kit Rumney (Bath))

AussieMongrel
-10th December 2007, 11:57
Well done Dan Kerr, good to see a City fencer in the L8!!!!! And he would be happy about getting revenge on Will after getting reversed by him at the Welsh when he was seeded 12th. Dan gave me a kicking at City last week so had a feeling that he was going to have a good weekend.

Red
-10th December 2007, 18:42
With the WE bronze medals, medal table is as follows

1 - Brum GSS
2 - Newcastle GS
3 - Imperial GB
3 - Bristol GB
5 - Northumbria G
5 - ULU G
7 - Cardiff SB
8 - Swansea S
8 - Royal Holloway S
10 - St Andrews BB
11 - Oxford B
11 - Nottingham B
11 - Lufbra B
11 - Ulster B
11 - Edinburgh B
11 - Kent B
11 - Bath B

Masters at arms - Tris Rowcliffe and Christie Waddington

Results available here - http://www.busa.org.uk/newsitem.asp?section=0001000100020002&itemid=1299&monthinview=2007-12-01

Boo Boo
-10th December 2007, 22:44
MS
1 Egro (Bristol)
2Chris markall (Cardiff)
3 Colligan(NOtts)
3 ?

Well done Francesco :party:

Boo

Cottontail
-11th December 2007, 06:45
[QUOTE=Red;187958]

QUOTE]

How is the Master at Arms title calculated? If it is the lowest total of positions then my fencer tied with Tristan. Presumably having won the foil helps!

Coup Lance
-11th December 2007, 08:47
3CT devised the system which is much fairer than the way it has been done in previous years as it does not get skewed by large entries in certain weapons and also takes into account the relative difficulty of getting through DE rounds.
For each competition, ie men and women, points were awarded for each weapon to people who finished in the top 75% of places of the smallest entry. So if for excample the smalles entry was for sabre with 48 people, points were awarded to people who finished in the top 36. The points awarded were on the same sliding scale used for the national rankings.

Hope that makes sense the way I've explained it (and that I've explained it correctly).

3 Card Trick
-11th December 2007, 09:31
I ended up with a spreadsheet based on the NIF multipliers which allows credit for podium places and a stepped progression. To be eligible you must fence in all three weapons.

The Top Placings on the above basis are as follows:-

RowcliffeTristanNorthumbria30.44LoggieJamesSt Andrews26.2GandolfiMilesSussex19.68RumneyKitBath19 .46SchulzSebastianSt Andrews16.14

WaddingtonChristie`Newcastle34.44DolanKatieNorthum bria31GraceyKatharineSt Andrews26.72BeichertFelicitasSt Andrews20.14DaviesRosieOxford19.8

This system uses a known tabulation (the NIF multiplier) and allows credit for each position gained. I remain open minded as to whether the points should be capped at 64th position if it is also in the top 75% of the fencers taking part. Such a refinement would not have altered the top placings this year.

CL sorry if I left you confused about the arcane workings of my mind.

silvercross
-11th December 2007, 10:09
Big congrats to the Liverpool Ladies this year. Sarah Vandewalle had a superb tournament, finishing L8 in WE and WF, and has consistently finished in the L8 in WE the last three years.

Plus, all the WE finished int the top 30! :)

Well done ladies!

Cottontail
-12th December 2007, 18:59
Many thanks for the lucid explanation about the Master at Arms points calculation. It seems very fair.

pinkelephant
-12th December 2007, 19:50
Many thanks for the lucid explanation about the Master at Arms points calculation. It seems very fair.

That would be Champion at Arms - otherwise the female version would be unfortunate!;)

Cottontail
-13th December 2007, 07:49

Just quoting! I suppose it is on the same basis as chairman, or mankind etc.

The gender specific alternative would indeed be, er, undesirable.

silvercross
-13th December 2007, 15:59
Mistress-at-arms sounds alluring...

Aoife
-13th December 2007, 16:27
It was a great weekend, I'm finally awake, and almost mobile again. All the Sussex fencers had a great time, both on the piste and in the armourey. Big congrats to Miles Gandolfi for coming third at Master at Arms. I'll pass on the method of calculation to him, as he was wondering.

rugmike
-20th December 2007, 07:13
Bit late, but well done Frankie !!

Definitely la dolce vita !!!!

briggs
-17th January 2008, 19:27
Not bad going for the South West and ex-BGS/QEH pupils then... Tris, Tom and Andy... :D

Boo

And how proud of the lot of them am I!!!!!!!!!! Well done boys

Briggs

Lynne
-21st January 2008, 09:59
Mistress-at-arms sounds alluring...

Hmm! Suggests FMBs and interesting leatherwear!

Swords Crossed
-21st January 2008, 15:18
I wouldn't have thought that silvercross would be into that sort of thing. But then, you can never really tell...

silvercross
-23rd January 2008, 08:44
If a major motion picture (Die Another Day) can have Madonna pull it off, why not? :D