+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eden Cup

Default Eden Cup

Does anyone know what the invitation criteria are for this years Eden Cup?

In previous years the top 8 cadets have been invited in addition to some (12?) juniors, but this year the Eden Cup is not one of the nominated cadet events so things may be different.

I have tried the BF webpage but the link to Junior Mens Foil selection info returns "page not available".

Senior Member DSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant future

I would presume as it is not nominated that Cadets would not get special treatment therefore top 12 juniors plus however many are required to make up the poules. Best bet to contact the weapon committee for clarification.

DS
    On my signal unleash Hell !!

You were tried tested and found wanting

Thanks DS, but your post has not added to my knowledge!

I agree that it would make sense to invite from the Junior Ranking now that it is not cadet nominated.

I have already emailed Clare Halstead, but was hoping I might get a quick (and useful) answer from this forum.

Thanks anyway.

Senior Member DSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant futureDSSabre has a brilliant future

Sorry with no clear selection policy for each weapon it is difficult to give you a clear answer. I tried but failed obviously.

DS
    On my signal unleash Hell !!

You were tried tested and found wanting

it is nominated
    WHEN WILL HE BREAK HIS SILENCE!!!
    - JUST DID!!!

I have now heard from Clare Halstead.

Aparently the foil selectors are considering this matter and will make a decision very shortly. It appears that the current prefered option is for selection/invitation to be made only on the basis of the Junior Ranking list.

Hopefully the final decision will be well publicised, but I'll try to remember to post here as soon as I know what it is.

To 1cypriotfencer: The Eden Cup IS nominated for juniors but IS NOT nominated for cadets. This is different to previous years when it was nominated for both juniors and cadets.

I've just been reminded (not by Clare) that the Eden Cup was not nominated for cadets last year either because it clashed with a cadet event in Bratislava. However the top 5 cadets all fenced at the Eden Cup because they were invited on the basis of their junior ranking.

been told by a very reliable source junior world cups are nominated for selection for euro and world champs if anyone knows any different do say i will read it tommorrow morning as am going out now
    - JUST DID!!!

Senior Member PM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud ofPM1 has much to be proud of PM1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1cypriotfencer View Post
    been told by a very reliable source junior world cups are nominated for selection for euro and world champs if anyone knows any different do say i will read it tommorrow morning as am going out now
    The foil selection list as at 31st July does NOT have the Eden Cup as a selected event for cadets, but is for Juniors. talk to your weapon captain would be my advice.
    Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive....

Maggie Lloyd-Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Mr WFFC View Post
    To 1cypriotfencer: The Eden Cup IS nominated for juniors but IS NOT nominated for cadets. This is different to previous years when it was nominated for both juniors and cadets.
    http://www.britishfencing.com/Attach...8-09%20NMB.pdf
    - JUST DID!!!

Thanks to PM1 and 1cypriot fencer for their replies.

Thanks also to Clare Halstead and the foil committee for their work and emails. My posts here are not meant to criticise them in any way. I just want to get the right information so I can advise pupils correctly.

It seems that there has been some conflicting information on the BF website.

As PM1 points out the cadet list as at 31st July did not contain the Eden Cup.

Even today the link
    http://www.britishfencing.com/Attach...20Calendar.xls
    makes no mention of the Eden Cup or other junior 'A' grades in the list of competitions for cadets.

My most recent communication with Clare indicates that the Eden Cup and the other nominated Junior 'A' grade competitions will count for cadet points this year, in addition to the nominated cadet international events in Halle, Cabries, Pisa and Bratislava. This is different to the system that applied last year.

Hopefully Clare or the foil committee will publish a definative document and any contradictory postings on the BF website will be removed.

Member Clare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the rough

Default Selection for Eden Cup

Apologies for any confusion; to clarify (hopefully) -
    As you will see from the 2008/9 MF Cadet document the 5 World Cups nominated for juniors are included for the cadet selection ranking this year.
    (The pros and cons of including these for cadets seem to be discussed almost every year. There are good reasons both ways but, to help Neil Brown's quest to produce a rational, unified, youth competition programme, the Foil Committee agreed to include them.)
    So we will not change the selection method for the Eden Cup. It will be the top 8 cadets then down the junior ranking to fill up the 20 places. We can add extra fencers to fill up pools so juniors next in line can turn up in case a place becomes available, however, they must contact Anne Hanrahan and need an FIE licence.

If there are any other queries please could you email myself or Anne.

Clare

Member Clare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the roughClare Halsted is a jewel in the rough

Default from MF Cadet doc on BF site

c) Best 3 from the following international competitions.
    European Cadet Circuit
    Halle 25 October 2008
    Cabries 29 November 2008
    Pisa 17 January 2009
    Bratislava 14 February 2009
    +
    Junior selection events ie 5 World Cups, Junior European Championships,
    [Junior World Championships 2008 this will only count towards the 30% carry over]

Is this not clear? Is there another version lurking somewhere??

Clare

Member MrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of light MrsWFFC's Avatar

There is an excel calendar of cadet foil nominated events on the BF website which does not show the Junior events as counting for cadets.

+ Reply to Thread