Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Lames?

Forum Rabbit

Default Good Lames?

Hi all,
    Does anyone know who sells good lames for the lowest price (somewhere in the $80-$120 range not including shipping)? My dad wants to get me one for my birthday (almost 14!!!) and we are tired of renting. So, who loves their lames?
    Wolfie

ok not too sure of the exchange rate, but I've used both pbt and allstar lames. Both are reasonably comfortable and last well although i did find that with the pbt you kind of get choked if you fasten it right up(Hungarians must have really small necks). Switched to allstar so i could give my kid the old one and be able to breathe on the piste, its nice and light, very comfortable. I'm talking foil lames here not sabre. Hope this helps. I'm in the uk and the prices aren't too much.

if you are fairly thin, try a BG lame...

they are american based (as i assume you are) and fit me wonderfully well.... cept they need to be washed fairly frequently if you are going to comps with weapons control

Forum Rabbit

Thanks, I am going to check those brands out.
    Wolfie
    AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

drop Triplette in Elkin, north Carolina a line wolfie!! they do some good Lame's ( just ordered the new stretch lame from walter!!)
    whats the difference between god and a chef???? .................... god doesn't think he's a Chef!!!

Originally posted by Australian
    if you are fairly thin, try a BG lame...

they are american based (as i assume you are) and fit me wonderfully well.... cept they need to be washed fairly frequently if you are going to comps with weapons control
    You can wash lames? I thought they would rust or something (and I call myself an armourer...)
    "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

Lames should be washed periodically-- it'll make a big difference in how long they last. It's especially true of copper lames (like BG's). The salts in sweat will greatly accelerate corrosion (just like ice-melting salts on roads contribute to cars rusting). Washing the lame will get rid of the build-up of sweat salts.

Even though stainless lames resist corrosion, you can still get salts coating the metal strands to the point where it interferes with conductivity.

You want to hand-wash (no washing machines) lames, using a mild detergent (Woolite, Ivory Snow, or equivalent) and a bit of ammonia. Dip the lame in, gently agitate it by hand, then rinse it off under running water and let it air dry.

-Dave

Originally posted by neevel
    Lames should be washed periodically-- it'll make a big difference in how long they last. It's especially true of copper lames (like BG's). The salts in sweat will greatly accelerate corrosion (just like ice-melting salts on roads contribute to cars rusting). Washing the lame will get rid of the build-up of sweat salts.

Even though stainless lames resist corrosion, you can still get salts coating the metal strands to the point where it interferes with conductivity.

You want to hand-wash (no washing machines) lames, using a mild detergent (Woolite, Ivory Snow, or equivalent) and a bit of ammonia. Dip the lame in, gently agitate it by hand, then rinse it off under running water and let it air dry.

-Dave
    i find a extra bit of lemon juice keeps me under that 5 ohm limit

Srb mentioned somthing about washing you're Lame in Lemon juice on another thread but he went into indepth on the scientific part though that when right over my head
    but give the guy his dues he had just done his chemical comosition!!
    whats the difference between god and a chef???? .................... god doesn't think he's a Chef!!!

Washing machines are ok for LP lames. Well, mine still works!!
    Professor Morris Harding

Trust me - I'm a morris dancer!

www.heartofpargon.co.uk

srb's in depth science point was (I think) that Lemon juice is a mild acid and therefore will disolve the salts that have built up from washing powder.

I have an old lame (ten years) which has not seen use for that time and was not conducting on the front (back is fine). I have tried lemon juice trick and need to check at the club if it works now. Only mine was with lime juice as I had no lemons at the time.
    cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war
    http://www.dilbert.com it would be funny if it wasn't where I work

Leon Paul say on their web site that you shouldn't wash lames in washing machines; they suggest ammonia or similar.
    "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"

Originally posted by goodbadandme
    Leon Paul say on their web site that you shouldn't wash lames in washing machines; they suggest ammonia or similar.
    But Leon Paul's lames have labels with washing instructions which say that you can machine wash them.
    cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war
    http://www.dilbert.com it would be funny if it wasn't where I work

Originally posted by Insipiens
    But Leon Paul's lames have labels with washing instructions which say that you can machine wash them.

I rest my case
    Professor Morris Harding

www.heartofpargon.co.uk

This is when the S.P.C.A.L get me....

( Society for the Prevention of Cruelty and Abuse to Lames)
    Professor Morris Harding

www.heartofpargon.co.uk

Originally posted by oddball
    I rest my case
    i worry that machine washing it will damage the threads/fibres

just as easy to handwash/soak it

Ok time to call barry in on this one!

BARRY BARRY BARRY!!!!!

Originally posted by Australian
    i worry that machine washing it will damage the threads/fibres

just as easy to handwash/soak it
    The risk with machine washing is that the spin cycle will wind up wadding the lame firmly against the side of the wash drum, which makes for a lot of creases in the lame fabric. Creases stress the metal strands and weaken or break them.

Given that it takes no more than 5 minutes to hand wash a lame (fill the basin with water, soap, and ammonia, dip the lame it and gently agitate it, pull it out an rinse it off, then put it on a hanger to drip dry), there's not much of a time saving in using a washing machine to offset the chance of damage.

-Dave

Originally posted by neevel
    The risk with machine washing is that the spin cycle will wind up wadding the lame firmly against the side of the wash drum, which makes for a lot of creases in the lame fabric. Creases stress the metal strands and weaken or break them.

Given that it takes no more than 5 minutes to hand wash a lame (fill the basin with water, soap, and ammonia, dip the lame it and gently agitate it, pull it out an rinse it off, then put it on a hanger to drip dry), there's not much of a time saving in using a washing machine to offset the chance of damage.

-Dave
    thank you sir

I've just bought a new lame (about 2 minutes ago!).

In the end I bought a Leon Paul lightweight lamé (Reference F60LW). I will let you know what I think of it.

srb