+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Box Jump

Senior Member coach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond repute

Default Box Jump

I have watched this several times and still can't believe it is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK11K...e_gdata_player

Any good video examples of fencers doing them?

Senior Member fa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to behold

there's a 15 year old guy at Camden/Scimitar who can get pretty close

Senior Member munkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond repute munkey's Avatar

Cookie's box jumping 1m 30cm at the moment (approx 51.2 ins). 3 x 3 reps. Pretty good considering he's a short-a$$! I'll post a link to video when I've uploaded it to YouTube.
    Sean Walton - the voice of reason!

www.salleholyrood.com

Senior Member munkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond repute munkey's Avatar

There you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUfKSjKRGw

He had the Hearts squad as an audience. No takers among the footballers to give it a go!

www.salleholyrood.com

Member thedoc is a glorious beacon of lightthedoc is a glorious beacon of lightthedoc is a glorious beacon of lightthedoc is a glorious beacon of lightthedoc is a glorious beacon of light thedoc's Avatar

If you want to see ridiculous bounciness, can I refer you to Stefan Holm doing some hurdles. Each one of them is a mere 71 inches high...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3ZcorTF0

Initiate S&C Guy is a glorious beacon of lightS&C Guy is a glorious beacon of lightS&C Guy is a glorious beacon of lightS&C Guy is a glorious beacon of lightS&C Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
    If you want to see ridiculous bounciness, can I refer you to Stefan Holm doing some hurdles. Each one of them is a mere 71 inches high...

The Stefan Holm video always cracks me up.

As for videos of fencers hitting big box jumps, if you watch my video from the Academy camp this year on youtube, you'll see a video of Kristjan Archer hitting a huge box jump onto mats. It was 51-52 mats, not sure how high that is though.

Rhys

Forum Rabbit Matt Filroy is on a distinguished road

Damn, that's an intense vertical!

Forum Rabbit John222 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely, if he can do that it mean that its possible to take that type of jump. It requires strong leg and ankle muscles. A lot of power is needed to push your body up to that limit. I think this is not possible without a lot of training and practice under a professional fitness coach.

Default Conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    There you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUfKSjKRGw

He had the Hearts squad as an audience. No takers among the footballers to give it a go!
    Interesting that he has to take a few strides into the jump. Not pure box jumping. Needs to practice a bit more plyometrics.

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc View Post

Any athlete/gymnast doing this sort of thing has spent years perfecting it. It is integral to their training. Also these events do very little say high jump practice as a percentage of total training. Same with Pole Vaulters who spend a lot of time doing gymnastics bar work. Also there will be many hours doing circuit type training, technique work, flexibility and core conditioning. These things don't just happen they are part of long term development and then maintenance. Basketball players also do similar training.

Interestingly at the Parent's meeting in Sheffield 2010 the S/C guy from the Academy stated that our younger fencers should be doing several different complimentary activities including Basketball, racquet sports and jumps/sprints type training.

Although there might be restrictions for many on fencing/training time there are still many other opportunities out there for maintaining/developing or perhaps more correctly tailoring fitness plans to help fencing. If the popular conception of any sport is a few hours a week actually only doing sports specific training then we're always going to struggle producing higher level fencers. Obviously once a specific level is achieved then all the other more specific components of the package like funding and correct level of coaching kick in. As an aside here there will always be problems in the dynamics between athletes and coaches. The dynamic of the relationship is as important as the skills that both the fencer and coach bring to the session but this starting to drift away from the initial principle of developing box jump.

At the end of the day the videos might look a little spectacular but they are the result of long term development and a certain innate ability to perform these activities i.e. fast twitch muscles. If you trawl YouTube there are countless hours of activities that will astound the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by andylymn View Post
    Interesting that he has to take a few strides into the jump. Not pure box jumping. Needs to practice a bit more plyometrics.
    As directed by the East of Scotland Institute of Sport S & C coach.

www.salleholyrood.com

Default Variations

Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    As directed by the East of Scotland Institute of Sport S & C coach.
    Would be interesting to swap notes with the S&C coach. The method used here is safer on the knees and lower back and is more akin to high jump type drills rather than a pure vertical jump.

Wonder why people are doing these things. Is that they think it looks good (Kudos) or is it seen as having other benefits. A series of rebound jumps up and down of tables/boxes develops the jump and more deep squat plyometrics develop the explosive muscle actions needed in a variety of sports/activities.

Hopefully sense will prevail and those encouraged to do any similar training do it progressively and in a controlled safe environment.

Forum Rabbit Johnny12 is on a distinguished road

If you want to see absurd bounciness, can I relate you to Stefan Holm doing some difficulties. Each one of them is a simple 71 inches wide great...

Forum Rabbit Devante is on a distinguished road

It needs powerful leg and rear foot muscle tissue. A lot of power is required to force your body up to that restrict. I think this is not possible without a lot of training and exercise under an experienced health and fitness and health trainer.

Senior Member TBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud of

I found that most of the challenge with box jumps was the mental 'can I actually make that jump without crippling myself on the metal frame of the box?'

Made it up to 4x3 reps using a 45" box (from standing) mixed in with dead-lifts (4x4 reps 90<100kg) between sets. But that was on a good day. It took a lot to work up to that from the baby boxes and always felt more comfortable doing a 3-step walk up rather than from standing..!

Another similar exercise I did was to jump off a 20-30" box and as soon as you hit the floor immediately spring onto a 40" box.

+ Reply to Thread