Thread: History of fencing blades and accesories....

Australia - currently workinh in a mine with no local fencing club

Default History of fencing blades and accesories....

I don't know if this has been covered before, if anyone knows any reference sites can you please advise them...

Not the history of the rule change or the styles or clubs... but the blades and manufacturers......

I have over the last few years started collecting older fencing weapons and stuff (tips, old boxes etc...been bagged big time by local fencers as why would someone want that old junky stuff ?! you can't fence with it!!) also I wondered what is the history of fencing equipment...!?

I do believe some details are covered in Morten's a-z of fencing but general data (or so I have been told - will have to get a copy...) .

the actual timeline for the equipment..

date's blades made and style of blade's changed - such as:
    brands of blades and manufacturer's
    when did the sabre blade (ok so that spelling gives me away as Australian I guess!) change from solid tip to rolled..
    timeline for Wilkinson sword blades - ie types and categories - for the fencing types and the guards (as I have a few of their cmoplete weapons and epee guard marked wilkinson)

Has this ever been done?
    Someone's thesis - the history of fencing equipment?!

History of the manufacturer's - Leon Paul, France Lames, Allstar, Uhlmann, Prieur , Blades, American fencer, santelli's ... etc etc
    (when Leon paul start for example.. allstar what did they sell suppliers? when did wilkinson sword stop making fencing equipment... things like that ) .. yes it would be a huge long document.. web sites addresses.. factories.. where are they now why did they go - who bought there stuff.. who makes what...

The branding marks on the blades and who and why the change in brand or blade type... the bow and arrow mark, the wierd marking of russian blades..

Tips and when they changed - point d'arrette, pineapple, german french english and the wonderful (!!???) chinese and russian copies..

Who are the manufacturer's now... manufacturer's, sellers, resellers and wholesalers ..

Will check the FAQ again but last time I read it - it does have a lot of info. but unless it has changed won't cover these...

Thanx for your time and looking forward to your replies

I saw a part post of some of Barry's stuff referring I think to forges - where is that located or can you please post a copy and where the discussion is located here? I had the link but I have misplaced it... again.... too much info.?!
    Vous n'avez pas l'autorisation d'effectuer un envoi de message vers cet utilisateur.
    You are not allowed to send a message to this user.........

nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

www.leonpaul.com has a family history section which may have some of the detail you are after. www.allstar.de also has quite alot of information, and there is an English version of the site.

http://www.wilkinson-swords.co.uk/ is the swords part of the company - an e-mail to them might help?
    Hoping for support from Dyson

Not after much are you Elberto!??
    Professor Morris Harding

Trust me - I'm a morris dancer!

www.heartofpargon.co.uk

Default Re: History of fencing blades and accesories....

Originally posted by Elberto

The branding marks on the blades and who and why the change in brand or blade type... the bow and arrow mark, the wierd marking of russian blades..

you've been watching too many "Antique Road Show", haven't you?

PK
    The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it's open.
    Our enemy is our best teacher.
    ~ Dalai Lama

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
    ~ Hubert H. Humhprey

I am not young enough to know everything. ~ Oscar Wilde

"Second is the first of the losers."
    Ron Dennis, team boss of McLaren F1 is always reminding his team - and no doubt his accountant too.

Australia - currently workinh in a mine with no local fencing club

Default Re: Re: History of fencing blades and accesories....

Originally posted by PKT
    you've been watching too many "Antique Road Show", haven't you?

PK
    lol.... no I haven't but I guess that could explain the questions... I have just come into a few old foils, epees and a wilkinson sword fencing sabre (curved blade with solid point rather than a hollow twist)
    Vous n'avez pas l'autorisation d'effectuer un envoi de message vers cet utilisateur.
    You are not allowed to send a message to this user.........

nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

The latter's probably of some interest - or couls be mounted to form a nice trophy.

So YOU'RE the person who's been buying all the rubbish masks on Ebay...
    PS I'm joking, it's a forum thing.

Welcome... to the mad house...
    "Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever. The only one who's changed is me. I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm swept into office, I'll sell our children's organs to zoos for meat. And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muhuhahahaha!"