+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gyrontonic

Senior Member coach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond repute

Default Gyrontonic

Does anyone have experience incorporating gyrotonic techniques into fencing training?

Senior Member tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute

With or without ice and lemon?
    On my signal UNLEASH AL...!

Senior Member coach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond reputecoach carson has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take that as a no then. But I am surprised. This is pretty much mainstream strength and conditioning techniques in the world of ballet and I would recommend it to anyone looking to strengthen their back/core, especially if coming back from an injury, have a general weakness there, or are looking to improve core strength.

Senior Member Spider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant future

Video on gyrotonic.com looks like there is an awful lot of lumbar hyperextension going on, many movements look like dry land swimming and the last exercise just looks painful. The jarring described from using conventional exercise equipment only occurs if the exercises are done wrong or with the wrong weight.

I would be interested to hear trainer Rhys's opinion on it.

I've had half a dozen sessions on the weird machinery, initially to help relieve some lower back pain. Quite unexpectedly, my core strength has increased significantly and having now spoken to several other athletes and dancers, they all swear by it. There are some interesting cross overs with fencing, for example developing strength/acceleration at the end of a movement, rather than at the beginning.

From the videos its difficult to get a sense that the movements are all coming from the core, with very little arm and leg strength involved. I think this is a more useful article and you get the sense that its helping people at the top of their game, but I'm not convinced yet that they understand why it is so effective.

http://www.pennywithers.co.uk/article.php?Id=12&ep=13

Another related article that expresses an approach to strength and conditioning which I think is much more relevant to fencing, than say preparing an athlete for rugby.

http://www.dotraining.co.uk/articles...ics-and-dance/

Senior Member Spider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant future

Interesting. Presumably there more than three machines in Scotland now (Penny Withers article was from 2004). Not sure whether these machines would be the best thing for general core strengthening and posture maintenance or whether they are best for rehab where nothing else seems to work.

+ Reply to Thread