+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olympic Role specific training

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

Default Olympic Role specific training

I've just received my invitation for the role specific training which entails a trip to London for a 4 hour session. This seems a little odd given that the majority of volunteers have already done the 3 day test event in November. I cannot envisage what else they could teach us.

I rang LOCOG and explained that we had already had the test event but they were adamant that I would still need to attend the RST. I also rang BF who tell me that there is no one in BF who is coordinating or even involved in Olympic volunteering, which I find hard to believe, surely someone in fencing has been consulted to determine what training is required.

Is there anyone on here who knows what's going on and can help the volunteers avoid this extra expense? Alternatively, have any of the other volunteers managed to get out of this?
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

Got my invite too and wondered exactly the same. Teaching grandmothers to suck eggs!!!

Forum Rabbit Molineli is on a distinguished road

Default Long trip

Received mine today - 9 hour trip (one way!) I think this is one you must atend (their words not mine). Glad they are now doing the orientation training on line, the chances of getting to do both on the same were probaly less than nil.

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

I also asked them if it was possible to coordinate uniform collection to be on the same day and they suggested I choose my preferred RST day and when the collection dates were released I could change to the alternate day if there was a match.

I'm hoping someone from BF will step in and stop this unnecessary extra day's training.

Forum Rabbit Molineli is on a distinguished road

Would make sense if they combined uniform collection with all of the training events. Too much to hope for I suppose.

Senior Member sabregran has a spectacular aura aboutsabregran has a spectacular aura aboutsabregran has a spectacular aura about sabregran's Avatar

Max, did you mention to BF that one of the alternative sessions (offered to me at least) is in the middle of BYCs - just when they need all the suual volunteers to be elsewhere? They might be more intersted in co-ordinating training, if they knew!
    sabregran

don't fence me in

I've had it confirmed by one of the team leaders that we will be required to attend the RST. I'm favouring the 19th May, is there anyone else going down from Yorkshire?

Member n_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of light n_freebody's Avatar

Role specific, venue specific and team leader training (if it applies to you) are all compulsory and cannot avoided. I know its a pain and very expensive but it is at these things where all the kinks are ironed out. Just because most of us went to the test event does not mean we know everything that we need to know. This training is designed to teach us things such as emergency protocols, chains of command what to do if such and such happen and so on.

I agree that uniform distribution should be held on the same days at training and that they should hold training in places other than London and maybe they could have organised it better to minimise travel etc. They have 76,000 games makers to train I would like to see any of us do any better. They have to treat all the volunteers the same and we are no different just because we know how to use swords. BF have nothing to do with it as they are not running the Olympics LOCOG are. At the end of the day are you really going to turn down the opportunity to volunteer at the Olympics just because it is inconvenient and costs a lot to travel back and forth?

Oh dear, it would appear that they have now completely indoctrinated me after today's training :S

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

"At the end of the day are you really going to turn down the opportunity to volunteer at the Olympics just because it is inconvenient and costs a lot to travel back and forth?"

And this is my primary complaint with the volunteering process. If you're outside of London, you're an inconvenience. The two "role specific" training dates offered were either:

0930 on a Saturday Morning.
    1330 on a Sunday Afternoon.

The Sunday afternoon option is on a major engineering day, so trips to/from Manchester (and large chunks North of B'Ham) are a 10 hour round trip. That leaves Saturday. Which involves leaving Manchester at 0600 (and therefore Bolton from 0520). To avoid it costing any more than 100 GBP per person for the day, we are travelling back at 9PM.

Each one of these trips costs between 50 and 100 GBP. That's 200-400 GBP /before/ the games:
    * Orientation
    * Role Training
    * Venue Training
    * Uniform Collection

Orientation could have been happily sent out as a DVD presentation. It was nothing more than a big show to get people excited. People left after the half-way point, the training content was minimal and there was a lot of travelling for very little content. I expect role and venue training to have relevant content. Uniform collection could have been accommodated around training dates. They're only allowing that in *exceptional* circumstances.

There is a *huge* amount for LOCOG to organise, and all volunteers need to fit in to the same framework. There are restrictions on your personal rights and freedoms before and during games time and *everything* revolves around what is feeling a very Tory concept of "well if you can't afford/don't agree, don't do it". We are volunteers, we are willingly giving up time and money (quite a bit of money) to be a part of this. By the time the games are over, it will have cost me personally over 1000 GBP to be a *volunteer* at one of the best funded sporting events in the world.

The least LOCOG could do is not behave as if everyone lives within spitting distance of London.

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by n_freebody View Post
    Role specific, venue specific and team leader training (if it applies to you) are all compulsory and cannot avoided. I know its a pain and very expensive but it is at these things where all the kinks are ironed out. Just because most of us went to the test event does not mean we know everything that we need to know. This training is designed to teach us things such as emergency protocols, chains of command what to do if such and such happen and so on.
    This I agree with. Role, venue and TL will hopefully be specific, informative and relevant.

They have 76,000 games makers to train I would like to see any of us do any better.
    And that's the point. They have 76,000 volunteer. More than any other event in the international calendar. That is therefore a bigger responsibility, with a bigger budget. Just because the scope is wider doesn't mean you should be losing sight that you're dealing with individual people, each with individual requirements. It's a failing of the system.

They have to treat all the volunteers the same and we are no different just because we know how to use swords.
    I'm hearing the same complaints from volunteers in other sports having to travel wide and repeatedly. A few people have dropped out because they just can't cope with the cost of going to and from Scotland. The games were billed as a games for the country, not just for London. That's how it was sold politically. Well, that bit is failing for some of the volunteers.

--

When we signed up for this, we knew we were going to have to pop down for a training session or two. The orientation "training" has rattled people because it felt like half a day of drinking the kool-aid. Here - we'll put on a light show for you! It's compulsory training! If I wanted to go to a show, I would have bought a ticket to something in the west-end. I attended for training. With any luck, role training will be more targeted and presented with a little less kool-aid, and people will then feel a little better about the whole process.

Member n_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of light n_freebody's Avatar

I agree completely with everything you are saying. Orientation was pointless and I see no reason why they couldnt have put role specific, team leader training and uniform collection on the same day. They should also have held some of the events in the north to make it easier for people to get to. Admitadly I dont have to come as far as you but it still costs me 40 for travel every time they hold one of these things and like you said it racks up to quite an expense. My point was that the training is compulsory and you can't miss it because you dont want to travel. It may be one of the best funded sporting things but if they paid for the travel of all the volunteers it would come to well over 20M.

The system is broken but it isnt likely to change.

Initiate CaptainCommuter is on a distinguished road

For those who haven't collected the uniform this is what to expect:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18020445

For me a slick process, out in half and hour. The Swatch was a nice surprise - going to keep that 'mint in box'!

Now for the next trip to London tomorrow for the RST! Unfortunately I just have to accept the cost and press on.
    Plan A - Fence, Plan B - Run, Plan C - Epee...

Initiate RiledRifler has a spectacular aura aboutRiledRifler has a spectacular aura about

From an inside ear, I've heard that they are aware that the orientation training did not go so well but what's done is done.

I also asked about the separate orientation/uniform/role/venue days and why all training events are in London and the answer was logistics. There are a very large amount of volunteers and very little time to organise and practically no scope for error.

From personal observation, if you have been to collect your uniform, you will find the venue to be a warehouse and they really have a very efficient, almost military system operating there. There are a large number of workers there who process the flood of people like a well oiled machine.

I can't imagine how that setup could be replicated at every training venue given the shortage of time and the scale of the operation. Certainly, all the possible variations in the sizes of all the clothing items does require a warehouse to store it all!

It would have been nice for the volunteers to know at the beginning how many separate trips would be needed but I rather suspect that the organisers also did not know until later in the process.

I know of two people who do not live in the UK who have volunteered and *yowch!*, if they are still in, that must be really hitting them in the pocket!

If the inconvenience or cost is too much, I don't think the volunteers are obliged to continue but it does seem like it could be quite an experience if they do.

Initiate pcooper is on a distinguished road pcooper's Avatar

Default Uniform collection

I was told at RST today that there may be some flexibility in uniform collection, and accreditation, if you let them know.
    The fencing team are also aware that there has been quite widespread criticism that, like many things that are organised from London, there has been little consideration given to volunteers who do not live in London.
    From my perspective, as there are (apparently) accreditation and uniform collection sessions in Manchester, for people doing the football, I don't see why I also couldn't pick up my uniform in Manchester.
    I also wouldn't rush to get the accreditation, as we were told that the ones issued to date have the wrong access codes, and are going to have to be re-issued!!

+ Reply to Thread