+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Open 2012

Initiate Paladin2019 is on a distinguished road

Home rugby internationals on the same weekend as the welsh probably aren't helping accommodation availability/prices either.

Initiate Firthy is an unknown quantity at this point Firthy's Avatar

Compared to the other big opens it was higher cost, lower NIF and less attractive competition format. Hard to justify the journey from scotland.

A wild and crazy man Rdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud of Rdb811's Avatar

Also London / Home Counties epeeists now have an Elite Epee a couple of weeks before and the Miller Hallet a couple of weeks afterwards without the travel / accommodation costs of Cardiff on a rugby weekend.

Some of the reduction in entry size will also be due to reducing the number of nominated Junior events and the increase in teh number of BSC events.

Senior Member J4G has a spectacular aura aboutJ4G has a spectacular aura aboutJ4G has a spectacular aura about

what happened to the welsh open, I remember when it was one of the UK's biggest competitions?
    MF had the satellite this weekend too

Initiate Osprey17 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy View Post
    Compared to the other big opens it was higher cost, lower NIF and less attractive competition format. Hard to justify the journey from scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdb811 View Post
    Also London / Home Counties epeeists now have an Elite Epee a couple of weeks before and the Miller Hallet a couple of weeks afterwards without the travel / accommodation costs of Cardiff on a rugby weekend.
    Agree with all of this. With 3 single weapon events in the 2 Elites and Miller-Hallet, 2nd wave format for Bristol (except this year, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't come back next season), prestige and the NIF multiplier that comes with the Nationals and the closeness of Essex to a lot of the top epeeists based in Greater London and the South-East, regardless of how well organised it would be the Welsh would seem the one to drop for the best epeeists if they had to.

Add high accom/travel costs because of the annual Autumn Internationals and retirements and the low NIF seems less surprising.

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

Plus the Vets Winton probably took a few away.
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

Initiate M'son will become famous soon enough

Minor point on the accomodation. Managed to find twin room for 37. Good evening meal ( 16.80) for two. Happy to share how with anyone for next year.
    Also forgot to mention that they were filming Britian's got Talent on the same site. Hence the care park chaos- and entertaining people.

Senior Member The Driver is a jewel in the roughThe Driver is a jewel in the roughThe Driver is a jewel in the roughThe Driver is a jewel in the rough The Driver's Avatar
    South East England (Greater London really)

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey17 View Post
    Agree with all of this. With 3 single weapon events in the 2 Elites and Miller-Hallet, 2nd wave format for Bristol (except this year, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't come back next season), prestige and the NIF multiplier that comes with the Nationals and the closeness of Essex to a lot of the top epeeists based in Greater London and the South-East, regardless of how well organised it would be the Welsh would seem the one to drop for the best epeeists if they had to.

Add high accom/travel costs because of the annual Autumn Internationals and retirements and the low NIF seems less surprising.
    All agreed - the earlier date for the Nationals definitely made the Welsh vulnerable this year. Additionally the 6W events have all had "organisational issues" in the past and are therefore inherently vulnerable if fencers are looking to avoid long waits/views of empty pistes. I don't think the Welsh is guilty of this recently but definitely Bristol was this year in ME and Brum appears to be so every year. Badly organised events will be increasingly vulnerable as travel/accommodation costs increase and more well run single weapon events appear.
    What time does check-in close? How far away are we?

Looking at the entries for mens sabre, they appear to be up on every year since 2009. Not by many in a couple of instances but at least no lower.

Senior Member Rids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura about

has anyone lost a watch?

one was handed in on Saturday.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Rabbit pmb will become famous soon enough

Default Welsh down on number

Don't understand the worries - maybe slightly less in epee than last year but sure it will be back. Welsh is always well run, they steamed through the whole lot down to the last 4 by 2pm. Plus Cardiff is a great town to visit, and it's definitely one of the better 6W events.

Don't see Elite/Nats really putting pressure on it, isn't it perfect to have a strong comp every 2 weeks?

Well done to James T for winning it and thanks to all the organisers.

Matt.

Senior Member 27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold 27ab1c's Avatar

WF competition was comparable with other years - NIF of about 60, I think. MF NIF affected badly by the Amsterdam event, though.
    Parking always a problem if other events are nearby - as well as the rugby international, Britain's Got Talent auditions were being held in the building next door - can't really plan for that and there aren't many autumn weekends when there isn't something going on in Cardiff.

Are the results of the junior foil and sabre competitions run in the upper hall published anywhere?

Senior Member Lynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud of Lynne's Avatar

Not yet - I could do with them as I shall see some of ours who competed in about half an hour. . . They won't know where they finished as half of them couldn't get their club name right on the entry form!
    Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

FAST, FURIOUS, FANTASTIC, FRUSTRATING, FIERY, FRANTIC, FUN, FRENETIC, FABULOUS, FULFILLING, FRENZIED, FREAKY, FLAMBOYANT, FLAGRANT, FIENDISH, FEROCIOUS, FEISTY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FENCING, A F***ING GOOD SPORT!

Senior Member Rids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by 27ab1c View Post
    Are the results of the junior foil and sabre competitions run in the upper hall published anywhere?
    not yet. i hope to get them online tonight.

Default Website Update & Lost Property

I have now updated the Welsh Fencing website with poules & tableaux for all senior events. I don't have the Youth event details yet, but as soon as I do, I will get those online also.

Further to an earlier post, please note that we had a watch handed in on the Saturday, so if anyone is missing one, please get back to me.

I have also been contacted by someone who no longer has his breeches:

"They are really big long breeches, stretchy Leon Paul ones which a gold metal zip. I was on the left as soon as you entered the main hall and used the changing rooms next to the gym."

Please can you check your bags to see if you have picked them up accidentally.

Thanks to all who joined us in Cardiff. We all had a great time, and hope you did too. We look forward to welcoming you next year.

Rids

Senior Member Gildas Braine is a name known to allGildas Braine is a name known to allGildas Braine is a name known to allGildas Braine is a name known to allGildas Braine is a name known to allGildas Braine is a name known to all

Shame I couldn't make it this year. Congratulations to my wonderful wife for winning the WS event and to Soji for winning MS, repeating last year's Camden double. #camdenstyle
    Looking forward to refereeing on the Junior World Cup circuit this year!

Default Youth Events Results

The results from the Welsh Open Youth Foil & Sabre events are now published on the Welsh Fencing website. Well done to all who competed.

And thanks to Mike & Stephen, who ran it for us, and those who supported this by presiding.

Its all very much appreciated.

Senior Member Lynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud ofLynne has much to be proud of Lynne's Avatar

Great, thanks. Our littlies really enjoyed it - first competition for most of them. :-)
    Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

FAST, FURIOUS, FANTASTIC, FRUSTRATING, FIERY, FRANTIC, FUN, FRENETIC, FABULOUS, FULFILLING, FRENZIED, FREAKY, FLAMBOYANT, FLAGRANT, FIENDISH, FEROCIOUS, FEISTY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . FENCING, A F***ING GOOD SPORT!

Senior Member jmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to alljmayle is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Rids View Post
    not yet. i hope to get them online tonight.

Hi, could you confirm the NIF for the WE please.
    Thanks
    June

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone please advise where the Welsh Open Results are published?

+ Reply to Thread