+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hertfordshire LPJS - 25th November 2012

Initiate Jasmine P is on a distinguished road Jasmine P's Avatar

Agreed! It great to see all the information on entries readily available and explainations given on the rationale involved. We are at Wrexham next week and Newham in December and the difference in the information available is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I don't understand why the tone of some of the posts in this thread have to be so sarcastic. I personally am grateful for anyone organising a competition and feel these people should be encouraged rather than possibly disheartened by reading some of these posts.
    This competition is new to the LPJS calendar, how were the organisers supposed to know how popular it was going to be?
    Yes, my child has a place in the competition- because I took the time to check the entry lists and limits and got my entry off in good time
    Perhaps we should all take time to remember these competitions are usually run on a voluntary basis and take our caps off to these people.
    Well said Cookie Monster. Anyone who is willing to run a LPJS with 230 fencers deserves a medal (and their heads looked - they must be mad). Not many Opens have that number of fencers in one day! As far as I can see only the U13 boys are well over the limit. Thats unfortunate but thats the way of things, lots of senior competitions have limits. It just means you have to get your entry in early. Or is that too difficult for some people.

Initiate SMJ will become famous soon enoughSMJ will become famous soon enough

Totally agree with the last few posters. The competition has been really well advertised on this forum and the internet and we sent in an entry fairly early on (and got an email confirmation very promptly, which was nice and doesn't always happen). The organisers should be praised, not criticised, for having the initiative to put on a competition - and North of London, too.

Initiate MontyBob is on a distinguished road

Perhaps we should all take time to remember these competitions are usually run on a voluntary basis and take our caps off to these people.
    Thanks for the kind words - it's appreciated at the end of a long week at the day job and a longer few weeks organising, collecting and occasionally deciphering entries (I have a pile of empty envelopes about 6 inches off the floor at the moment).

Before I clear off for a week, thanks for entering if you have, there are some entries mid flight and I'll take a fresh look at the overall situation when I get back. The entry lists on the website are current as of Wednesday.

Have a safe week folks.
    Jon

Smile Referees

Hi All

We are still looking for some more referees for the day, we have 16 confirmed names for the day with 3 or 4 maybes! Ideally we would like to have between 19 - 22 referees, so that we can ensure that we have all our pistes running at one time.

If you are interested in refereeing for the day please let me know. We are able to cover travel expenses, and will be providing you with lunch from the onsite catering as well as a large range of snacks throughout the day!

Please email info@hertsfencing.co.uk if interested and available.

Regards

James

Default Entry Update

Hi,

Had about 35 odd entries over last week and I'm hoping to clear the backlog by Wednesday.

With the exception of U17 if you haven't already sent in an entry for the boys events I'd advise against it - even with a few tweaks on entry caps which we're discussing it won't clear the folder of entries I have already.

Jon

Default Entry List Update

Hi All

I have just updated the website with the latest entry lists:

http://www.hertslpjs.org/?page_id=13

James

Default U9-15 events full.

Hello,

I've been through a lot of entry forms and emails in the past week.

The time has come to call it a day on all entries apart from the U17 where there's still a dozen plus places available. I will be emailing the last few entry confirmations this weekend.

I will be emailing tomorrow to everyone who haven't yet heard from me saying that:
    a) I can't offer a place
    b) I will keep details for a further week to make sure that if anyone pulls out we have a full event
    c) and that we will be running an interest list for next year.

If I get email bounce backs I will be calling around, but if coaches and club committees could encourage your parents to check the entry lists and inboxes/spam folders it would be helpful. Please do not encourage your members to turn up in the hope of a place - it will make the venue busier than it needs to be.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send in an entry form, and to those who have volunteered to referee. We are looking at running level 2 exams during the U13/U15 pools so if you're interested please drop us an email.

Default Weapon Weight Inspections/Testing

Hi All

Just a reminder of what is already been published on the website.

There will be weight test inspections for all weapons at the beginning of the poules, as well as the first round of the direct elimination followed by the semi-finals and final.

Any weapon that is found too have failed weight testing will not be allowed to be used in the tournament, so bring a spare just in case.

We will not be having a Leon Paul stand onsite but we do have a armourer in the form of Steve Hyman, but please ensure you have checked and double checked your weapons before arrival.

Also ensure that you have the correct rated equipment/weapon sizes which are published here:

http://www.hertslpjs.org/?page_id=64

NOTE: All equipment requirements are based on the current British Fencing clothing rules and regulations.

No refunds will be issued in the event of a fencer failing to meet the kit regulations and or weapon weight test inspection.

Any questions please feel free to email us at info@hertsfencing.co.uk

Kind Regards

James

Default Rickmansworth Rail Station

Hi All

Please be advised that there appears to be planned engineering work on the Metropolitan line this coming Sunday 25th November.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...offset=weekend

The best alternative is to go to Watford Junction where you can either get a Taxi to the venue which is about a 15 minute drive away, or catch the Arriva 320 bus which will take you from Watford Junction all the way to Rickmansworth station, where it is then only a short walk to the venue.

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceIn....aspx?id=12541

We do advice that people look at planning there journey in advice, as the tournament will be starting promptly at 9:30am with the under 9 boys and girls, so please ensure you leave yourself lots of time to travel to the venue if you are coming by public transport.

We have also arranged with the venue for a overflow carpark to be opened to ensure that there is more then enough space for you all to drive if you choose not to use public transport.

In the rare event both the main and overflow carpark are full at the venue, there is a car park by the underground station/Waitrose which is pay and display, which is then only a short walk to the venue.

http://goo.gl/maps/KNZtM

Please keep a eye out for Herts Fencing branded signs at the venue which will direct you to the main car park and the overflow one.

Any issues or questions please email us at info@hertsfencing.co.uk

Regards

James

I've just finalised the entry lists for this weekend and they should be up tomorrow.

If I've received an entry form I have responded (either by email or with a phone call) - but just in case voicemails haven't been picked up, post-it notes dropped etc please check the entry lists

We have 216 entrants - we won't be able to engage in a discussion about why an entry isn't on the list on the day (and while the check-in folk are lovely but they can't do anything about it then). Give me an email either through the messaging thing on here or info@hertsfencing.co.uk and I'll get back to you.

If you aren't on the entry list published and we don't get in touch with you in the meantime, please don't come to the venue. If you are on the list and know you won't be able to make it, please let us know. There's extensive waiting lists for all events bar U17.

A few last reminders -

We don't have a Leon Paul stand available, but we do have the Steve Hyman running the armoury.

It is a reasonable walk between the venue and the car park - allow time for this. Similarly note that the Metropolitan line is down this weekend.

We will be having level 2 referee exams in the early part of the day (U11 pools is the plan)- these are people who usually preside senior nationals or EYCs so please be nice.

Finally - it's our first one. There may well be teething problems but from all of us who are organising this if there are any, it won't be due to lack of effort.

We hope everyone attending enjoys the day.

Jon

Just wanted to thank the organisers for an excellent competition. The whole event from entry to the last point was extremely well organised.

As a parent who travelled a fair distance to the event, it was great being able to access detailed and helpful information on the event website.

The venue was very well laid out, with clear signage, friendly volunteers, good referees etc.

Being able to put all the bags in the viewing galleries, meant the hall was clear of clutter and the space meant no crushing and stressful situations for waiting children.

All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable event.

Thank you to everyone who worked hard to put this event on.

We regret we didn't manage to finish today's event the way it was meant to. It all got horribly rushed and entrants suffered from too big a gap between pools and DE and the plan just fell apart. U15 in particular remains a considerable problem as it had to be concluded early.

We tried to be ambitious too soon, and this meant that we didn't get the neccessary momentum early on to finish everything to time. By my reckoning I had at least 1 pool too many in U9 boys and 2 in the U11. I'm the guy who recommended the caps where they were, so the blame there is squarely on me.

I've started making calls to U15's affected - if wanted we will try our hardest to get a venue convened and get you to it to finish this off the way it should be. I appreciate that the logistics of getting this done before Christmas will be tight, but if there's a way to do it we'll make it happen.

This was our first time running an event of this scale - while that's not an excuse lessons have been learnt. If people want us to we will run this again (either over two days or with a considerably revised structure/caps) or we can leave it there. I know there's clubs out there that are interested and it shows the demand for events near the M25. I'd like the opportunity to give it another go with what we've picked upfrom today, but I'd appreciate a steer from the vox populi.

We let you down - all we can do at this point is put our hands up and say we're sorry and that lessons will be learnt. As the guy who chairs the committee that organised it I need to say that from a personal level I'm disappointed we weren't able to get it done and dusted. I appreciate that getting everyone together will be a lot of fuss and bother for potentially not very much fencing - but if those affected want it to happen we will try our hardest to make it.

Results for the completed events will be published as soon as we can - give the guys running the laptops a day to recover and we'll try to get those out in the early part of this week.

Jon

Retired Jelly Baby Baldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that it didn't go so well Jon.

Credit for making the effort in the first place, and for having the b@lls to come on the forum and put your hands up to it.

Good luck in your efforts to get the U15 event finished somehow.

I dare say that there will be some angry phone calls, flaming emails, and irate postings. From a parental/fencer/coach point of view, I can understand that - people invest a lot in their training, travel and competitions, and they are justifiably upset when things go wrong.

I just hope that they also acknowledge all the effort that goes into running events, and accept that sometimes a perfect storm of unforeseen circumstances can make the best laid plans gang agley.

If they are honest, I think that anyone who has ever run a fencing competition will think "there, but for the grace of god, go I".

All the best

Ray

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baldric View Post
    Sorry to hear that it didn't go so well Jon.
    A real shame that you had problems.

The key to an event is having a schedule and actually keeping an eye on that schedule to ensure you are not getting behind.

From one of the earlier posts it seems that some fencers had a really good experience.
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Getting there... Touché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to beholdTouché Turtle is a splendid one to behold Touché Turtle's Avatar

Well, there may have been a timing issue leaving an unfortunate end for a few and a long day for many, but other than that I wanted to say that the overall event was, in my view, a good one.

- Signage was clear. (especially the one about behaviour.. )
    - the venue is a nice one.
    - All bags were kept out of the hall, leaving it clear and easy to traverse.
    - Pistes were well laid out and clearly marked.
    - Everyone involved wore a label so you knew who did what.
    - Announcements were actually audible via microphone
    - Lots of refs appeaared to be working - although some were less experienced than others, and presumably more were actually needed?
    - Bacon sarnies were yummy

I hope the event will happen again next year, it's a well placed venue for a lot of people, and its speedy oversubscription shows it is wanted.

One part of me likes the idea of having all ages on one day - means I as the coach only need to go on one day. The other half of me likes spreading it over 2 days so it doesn't go on so late, and hopefully the entry numbers could be higher, but then I'll have to travel twice....

1 day or 2? I guess as the organisers you need to weigh up the costs involved versus the possible entry fees generated. At least you know the demand is there, and I'm certain next year's event will incorporate lessons learnt and run beautifully.

I for one will be backing it for next year and encouraging my club members to enter nice and early!
    Touché Away!!!

Initiate SMJ will become famous soon enoughSMJ will become famous soon enough

It was a long day - I heard that there were problems with the software which meant that it took ages to upload data?

Apart from that - and some of the refereeing maybe being a bit "iffy" (but clearly this is not unique), it was well organised. Announcements were clear and the bacon cobs were great. People were friendly, which makes such a difference. Also, keeping bags out of the match area was a good idea. There was no problem at all with getting around the sports hall.

Hope you do it again next year. It's a good venue geographically, apart from anything else!

Initiate MrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the rough MrsGrizz's Avatar

I would be happy to support an event next year, however I think that this event really needs to run over 2 days - possibly with extended entry caps

Agree, signs were good, bacon sarnies were sublime and the venue is great as far as we are concerned.

However, not completing the event for some of the fencers is a difficult pill to swallow. I know Jon will try his best to ensure that these fencers will receive every opportunity to finish their D/E's at some point soon.

Referees, were available and when extras were called for from those around, many came to the call and tried to get things moving.

I have my own thoughts as to why and what went wrong and I will email Jon with these. I do not think its fair to wash anyone's dirty laundry in public.

I am thankful that Jon has already been on here and held his hands up - very unsual and very big of him. I will print his post and ensure ALL my parents have a copy. I know it won't help the fact that U9 boys had to wait for 2 hours just for their results, and the 2+ hours wait for many of the age groups between pools and D/E's but at least this will make them feel like some event organisers do care and are willing to learn , move on and change. All credit to Jon.

We all live and learn

Sandra - Fighting Fit Fencing

Initiate MrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the rough MrsGrizz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGrizz View Post
    I would be happy to support an event next year,
    *THIS EVENT*

Sorry long day

Me, James and the other guys on the county committee will be having a get together some point in the not so distant future to do the autopsy.

I'm open to constructive criticism, please feel free to send it through. If you'd rather no one else knew the contents then send me a message and I'll strip out names before we do our debrief.

Once again we will be doing a fairly major lessons learnt exercise - if folks want to know what the outcome of that looks like I'll ping round the highlights but I don't plan on doing all of the dirty laundry in public.

Jon

+ Reply to Thread