+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi I'm Sally, a new recruit!

Forum Rabbit Sally is on a distinguished road Sally's Avatar

Red face Hi I'm Sally, a new recruit!

Hi all!
    My name is Sally (as you can see) and I joined my local fencing club last night (11th of Sept)!!
    I had never fenced before but come from a family with a strong connection to combat sports.
    My father is a 3rd Dan in Kendo and so trained me up when I became tall enough to hold a Shinai. He's a massive inspiration to me, not in Kendo inparticular, but as a sportsman. Bit of a "Daddy's girl" I guess.

Anyway unfortunately I was born with a rare congenital muscle myopathy which means my muscles are...well...just weaker than those of an able bodied person! No other info really, and to look at me you wouldn't know anything majorly wrong was going on, I can walk around, flail, wiggle, you name it (unless you ask me to get up off the floor or climb the stairs..then I look a bit like I'm drunk!! Oh and I have super boney shoulders and hips due to stingey muscle mass, haha) just a few weird things happened in my making on the inside, so Kendo became increasingly more difficult with raising the shinai and jumping around, so training stopped when I was about 9 years old (and I learned piano! haha).

Thing is, as I got older I wanted to defy biological claims and really see whether I can beat this muscle "thing" by doing everything I can to move around. I'll do body conditioning classes 3 times a week, gym classes a couple of times in addition, Ashtanga Yoga once a week...and now...back to weapon sports...but this time - Fencing.

ALL of these physical activities make me look a little different to people when I'm in action, i.e. I can only lift about 2.5kg maximum (AT THE MOMENT! Who knows?!), and need dragging off the floor if I'm ever on it, walk instead of run, one leg at a time up the stairs, that kind of thing - but I seriously don't care!

One day I might surpass the weirdness! And now I hope fencing will take me there.
    If NOT then I'm going to have an enormous amount of fun trying! Since my session last night I feel majorly proud to be a part of such an incredible and inspiring sport and totally accepted into the community regardless of wobbles.

Thanks for reading my story, and it'll be great to speak to you guys and girls in the forums!!
    Super-huge-kind-regards:::

Sally
    **hfcfencing new recruit!**10 weeks to Grade one**
    www.hfcfencing.co.uk/

Senior Member Cyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to beholdCyranna's Father is a splendid one to behold Cyranna's Father's Avatar

Default Welcome!!

you are obviously meant to be a fencer, being unique & slightly weird like everyone else

Good luck, you will find great company in the sport & you get to wear the coolest kit ever designed
    just a daddy...and chauffeur

Senior Member nickos has a spectacular aura aboutnickos has a spectacular aura about nickos's Avatar

Welcome to fencing Sally.

Good luck and have a great time.

You will make a lot of new friends.

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranna's Father View Post
    you are obviously meant to be a fencer, being unique & slightly weird like everyone else
    Oi!!!! Some of us are totally weird

Welcome to the sport btw Sally
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Ahaha you're all fab thanks for the warm welcome. Honored to be a part of the team
    www.hfcfencing.co.uk/

Senior Member 27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold27ab1c is a splendid one to behold 27ab1c's Avatar

Welcome. BTW, you don't have to surpass the weirdness to join us, just embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by 27ab1c View Post
    Welcome. BTW, you don't have to surpass the weirdness to join us, just embrace it.
    Haha :-D bit boring if we're all the same!
    Fencers are the friendliest people I've met! Hehe...think thats why Im hesitating on my attacks at times
    www.hfcfencing.co.uk/

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

You can always give wheelchair fencing a go. It is very fast and no standing up or running around required but you do need to be very fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danum View Post
    You can always give wheelchair fencing a go. It is very fast and no standing up or running around required but you do need to be very fit.
    Great suggestion Danum, I think seated fencers are amazing!! Some even look as though they would hurl themselves out of their chairs!!! I think I could try both depending how tired I get maybe, although for now I will continue with the footwork til I might run out of steam just to keep challenging what ive got.

Great idea for if I ever try and compete in the far future though!
    www.hfcfencing.co.uk/

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

One of the GB Paralympian wheelchair fencers only took up the sport in November so great progress can be made in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Danum View Post
    One of the GB Paralympian wheelchair fencers only took up the sport in November so great progress can be made in a short time.
    So inspiring. It's true that with a passion and drive for anything you can seriously go a long way. It's really great to have a focus!

My foil arrived this morning. All set

Again, thank you for your lovely comments.
    www.hfcfencing.co.uk/

Senior Member Miacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to all

A big welcome

If you are determined, them I'm sure you will succeed in whatever you want to do!

You will surely meet some great people fencing, all weird in some way or other (Even the way we stand on guard is weird, definitely not very "feminine" )

Senior Member Harryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to behold Harryscott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Hi all!
    My name is Sally (as you can see) and I joined my local fencing club last night (11th of Sept)!!
    I had never fenced before but come from a family with a strong connection to combat sports.
    My father is a 3rd Dan in Kendo and so trained me up when I became tall enough to hold a Shinai. He's a massive inspiration to me, not in Kendo inparticular, but as a sportsman. Bit of a "Daddy's girl" I guess.

Anyway unfortunately I was born with a rare congenital muscle myopathy which means my muscles are...well...just weaker than those of an able bodied person! No other info really, and to look at me you wouldn't know anything majorly wrong was going on, I can walk around, flail, wiggle, you name it (unless you ask me to get up off the floor or climb the stairs..then I look a bit like I'm drunk!! Oh and I have super boney shoulders and hips due to stingey muscle mass, haha) just a few weird things happened in my making on the inside, so Kendo became increasingly more difficult with raising the shinai and jumping around, so training stopped when I was about 9 years old (and I learned piano! haha).

Thing is, as I got older I wanted to defy biological claims and really see whether I can beat this muscle "thing" by doing everything I can to move around. I'll do body conditioning classes 3 times a week, gym classes a couple of times in addition, Ashtanga Yoga once a week...and now...back to weapon sports...but this time - Fencing.

ALL of these physical activities make me look a little different to people when I'm in action, i.e. I can only lift about 2.5kg maximum (AT THE MOMENT! Who knows?!), and need dragging off the floor if I'm ever on it, walk instead of run, one leg at a time up the stairs, that kind of thing - but I seriously don't care!

One day I might surpass the weirdness! And now I hope fencing will take me there.
    If NOT then I'm going to have an enormous amount of fun trying! Since my session last night I feel majorly proud to be a part of such an incredible and inspiring sport and totally accepted into the community regardless of wobbles.

Thanks for reading my story, and it'll be great to speak to you guys and girls in the forums!!
    Super-huge-kind-regards:::

Sally
    Awesome, Sally. I think you'll do just fine! Welcome aboard.
    H

Senior Member Fencing is Fun Scotland is a glorious beacon of lightFencing is Fun Scotland is a glorious beacon of lightFencing is Fun Scotland is a glorious beacon of lightFencing is Fun Scotland is a glorious beacon of lightFencing is Fun Scotland is a glorious beacon of light Fencing is Fun Scotland's Avatar

Welcome to the world of Olympic-rules sword-fighting!
    fencingisfunscotland at a popular email service run by Google.

http://www.fencingisfun.co.uk

Forum Rabbit MarkAntony is on a distinguished road

Looking at your pic you'll have lots of friends

I don't look like you and everybody is still so friendly.

Pretty new to fencing myself and loving it. Just done my first comp, and people you are competing against are still so helpful.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

I managed to miss this thread when it started in September, but it certainly puts some of the petty squabbling on this forum into perspective. I am sure that Sally doesn't see herself as special or a hero, but then anyone who sees themselves as such is probably not one anyway.

I hope your fencing is going well Sally and that you have got in touch with the wheelchair fencers, they are a great bunch.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

+ Reply to Thread