+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideal Percentage Body Fat

The impatient epeeist madfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of light madfencer's Avatar

Default Ideal Percentage Body Fat

Hoping one of the S&C guys or a nutritionist can help out here...

So, i'm getting my body fat percentage calculated soon as part of the fire services ocupational health program for work. I was wondering what the ideal body fat percentage would be for a female fencer (epeeist) who is around 5 foot 4. I've tried looking online but all the information I can find has been for the more main stream sports. If you need more info i'm 23 years old.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, would just like to know what I need to be aiming for!

Thanks,

madfencer

Stop-cutting your wrist!! Nick_C is a glorious beacon of lightNick_C is a glorious beacon of lightNick_C is a glorious beacon of lightNick_C is a glorious beacon of lightNick_C is a glorious beacon of lightNick_C is a glorious beacon of light Nick_C's Avatar

I assume no-one has answered because there is no such 'ideal' anything - how would you even measure this anyway? On top of this, fencing is as you imply, not a mainstream sport, and therefore there is very little evidence base for anything we do.

To illustrate: there are tall women epee world champions, there are short epee world champions. They could have a body fat percentage of 5% or 30%.

It's not your body fat percentage that will win fights. There are much more important things - as i'm sure you appreciate.
    Last Result: 2010 Commonwealth Games MS - 10th
    Next Competition: will be when i'm not crippled
    Ranking: probably don't have one anymore!

Initiate CornishEpeeist will become famous soon enoughCornishEpeeist will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by madfencer View Post
    female fencer (epeeist) who is around 5 foot 4.

If you need more info i'm 23 years old.

madfencer
    If this is who i think this is:
    Shouldnt you be recovering not worrying about your body fat pecentage?! Seeing as you cant walk or anything?
    Naughty
    Wine?

I don't think 5% body fat is healthy for anyone.
    "The goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning"

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    I don't think 5% body fat is healthy for anyone.
    That would be OK for a male professional boxer the week before a fight.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Biologist to the rescue!

Like people said, it depends what you're aiming at. For women, the accepted 'comfortable' level is somewhere between 25-30%, but for athletes it gets a bit more complicated depending on the level of activity. For example, female olympians are probably around the 10% mark, which is the bare minimum before your doctor starts telling you off. (for men its 2%, considering... anatomical differences) As a recreational athlete, you probably want to be aiming for 13-24%.
    Épée-n in the leg.

A woman at 10% body fat would be infertile. An female athlete would be more like 20%

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    A woman at 10% body fat would be infertile. An female athlete would be more like 20%
    I suppose that would depend on whether the athlete in question wanted to conceive. 20% is skinny, but still more padding than a sprinter or swimmer would want.
    Épée-n in the leg.

Senior Member MatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant future MatFink's Avatar

Body Fat % is a very poor correlation for fencing performance.

There a far more important and relevant physical factors.

@Madfencer - you are in Newcastle either Su Stewart or through her Mick Wilkinson could tell you far more about this whole area than you are likely to glean from the forum.
    www.fencingphotos.com

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    I suppose that would depend on whether the athlete in question wanted to conceive. 20% is skinny, but still more padding than a sprinter or swimmer would want.
    I've been told that 20% is what a female athlete would want. 23% being enough for a woman to look athletic.

Senior Member Rudd is a glorious beacon of lightRudd is a glorious beacon of lightRudd is a glorious beacon of lightRudd is a glorious beacon of lightRudd is a glorious beacon of light

Body composition of elite American athletes (Abstract only) Lots of variation dependant on the demand of the sport.

Physiological Profile of National-Class National Collegiate Athletic Association Fencers (Abstract Only) "These data suggest that success in fencing may depend more on technique, speed, and agility as opposed to a high aerobic capacity and low percent body fatness."

Body fat assessment in women. Special considerations. (Abstract Only)

Hmm, maybe i misinterpreted a few things then. Can anyone find anything on how age affects the question?
    Épée-n in the leg.

The impatient epeeist madfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of lightmadfencer is a glorious beacon of light madfencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CornishEpeeist View Post
    If this is who i think this is:
    Shouldnt you be recovering not worrying about your body fat pecentage?! Seeing as you cant walk or anything?
    Naughty
    Hadn't had knee op at the time of my post (yes it is who you think it is).

Was just intrigued with having a work health check which included it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think if I remember correctly I was 23%, so a bit too high for my liking.

+ Reply to Thread