+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Luxembourg Foil JWC - MF and WF

Lard of the prance Tubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond repute Tubby's Avatar

There is an initiative in epee, held in the former Cadet and Junior Championships venue, where fencers from all points of the compass, regardless of club or region, get together on a fortnightly basis to train and fence.
    ~The squeeky wheel gets the oil or gets changed~
    Tubby is now totally miffed and has chucked it all in.

Initiate MrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the roughMrsGrizz is a jewel in the rough MrsGrizz's Avatar

Totally agree there is a problem with clubs working together we tried when we first started but for one reason or another it was too difficult for the other club or we were not wanted. The main problem is that many fencers within these clubs do not see this as sparring but as a chance to steam roller the visiting fencer to prove a point. This benefits no-one.

Fortunately for us we have found a club that does have a similar ethos as us its a bit of a trek but they have made our fencers feel very welcome and understand the importance of sparring, especially when our head coach has given our fencers an action to practise during this process. However, we only send the some of our older competitive fencers and would not at this moment in time consider sending an U11 or U13 fencer, this would be counterproductive for our fencers at their current stage of development - we also have a good core of fencers in those age groups and above which helps.

Hopefully over time more clubs will take this route and we/others can expand sparring - but it takes a lot of time, effort and understanding

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

Briefly responses to what has been written

COYI

You make a lot of valid points.

1. Britain is not far behind at youth level ie between ages 7-11.
    2. At this level young people should engage in sport for enjoyment, learn and develop technical skills.
    3. Training and Competition should be localized and at low cost [good value].
    4. Culture. Children in Britain have a very wide choice of activities in which they participate albeit during
    recession this has been cut down. Fencing is not necessarily their first choice activity.
    5. Parents and siblings are also a major factor. They may have different interests. If a sport makes too much
    demand on time and expense this can act as a deterrent to progression.

TUBBY

What you propose about collective training once or twice a month is a very good option and one I have made
    in past. It was a programme adopted in 1990s by womens foil in the USA. The programme was run by Buckie
    Leach the personal coach of Iris Zimmerman who was widely respected by both coaches and fencers. The
    cost of travel,accomodation and coaching were covered by the sport and not families in contrast to Academy programme in Britain.

The other option is creating Regional Centres of Excellence based on Clubs where high performance fencers are able to train. Such schemes did exist in foil when Britain's best fencers trained at Salle Paul and Sussex
    House. Presently it is more likely to happen in sabre, which is a comparatively small weapon. Most of the
    best talent at cadet, junior and senior levels are accomodated at Truro and Camden. In an ideal world I would
    like to see at least half a dozen such programmes in each weapon.

TIGGER

There are always fencers in the system who look like they are 'very very very talented' as many coaches have expressed in the past. Please do not confuse potential with performance. The reality is that no girl
    sabreurs have made a breakthrough at Cadet or Junior level in last 3 years apart from Aliya. That applies
    to most of the other weapons as well.

ED_R

I used the expression 'mundane' when referring to performance and not talent.

Interesting (although at times, depressing) thread.

There is a lot that we can't control, for me I would be happy if we all started to pull together in the same direction.

My theory is that we need to do the following in order to encourage success:

- Provide opportunities
    - Motivate
    - Reward fairly based on objective criteria
    Meg & Phil S-F (but usually Meg)

www.mxfencing.org.uk / www.elitesabrecoaching.co.uk

Senior Member tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with much of what Ronald says. I am certainly not confusing talent/potential with performance - I haven't seen any very talented WS at youth level over the last 3-5 years, but now I do. And most of them are in good training environments, and are committed, which leads me to believe there is a stronger chance now of future success than there has been before.

We must also not treat success at cadet and junior level as some kind of guarantee of success at senior level. Whilst it is one indicator of senior potential, it is certainly not the only one
    On my signal UNLEASH AL...!

Senior Member ED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I agree with much of what Ronald says. I am certainly not confusing talent/potential with performance
    I am not sure anyone was. Its just a truism to say that those whose performance is low will be at the bottom level in competitions (which is what brought the topic to the fore here). He seemed to me be saying more than that. I accept his assertion that he wasnt however.
    Edward Peck

Senior Member grizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant future

Feeling a bit wicked this evening so I thought I would stir the pot a little.

So here goes,

Looks like the Junior sabre girls had similar results in Sosnowiec, wonder if we are going to have the same debate?

Jed

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

My comments applied to all womens weapons not just foil. The only difference with sabre is that none of the fencers fenced out of their age group as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz View Post
    Feeling a bit wicked this evening so I thought I would stir the pot a little.

So here goes,

Looks like the Junior sabre girls had similar results in Sosnowiec, wonder if we are going to have the same debate?

Jed
    Very productive
    This is a really mature comment!

Senior Member grizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant futuregrizz has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Steven-m View Post
    Very productive
    This is a really mature comment!
    Sorry, I was trying to be light hearted but as you took it so seriously, its probably worth pointing out that the average age was older than the foilests. The foil girls took a bit flak on this thread for their results but even though the results seemed similar nobody has had a moan about the sabbies being to young etc.

Personally I am very much in favour of sending all our youngsters abroad as often as possible.

Jed

Quote Originally Posted by grizz View Post
    Sorry, I was trying to be light hearted but as you took it so seriously, its probably worth pointing out that the average age was older than the foilests. The foil girls took a bit flak on this thread for their results but even though the results seemed similar nobody has had a moan about the sabbies being to young etc.

Personally I am very much in favour of sending all our youngsters abroad as often as possible.

Jed
    No problem.

I don't know much about Sabre but the point is that they were all juniors fencing in their age group, who definitely need experience and now can go back and see what they need to work on.
    The problem with the foil was that there were cadets at a junior event and those cadets haven't even proved themselves at cadet level never mind being thrown into the junior arena.

They can obtain international experience in their own age group- learn to walk before you can run!!

+ Reply to Thread