+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change to UK Sabre rankings

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe du Nord View Post
    Hokers, Clear your private messages please.

Barry
    Done, sorry Barry.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Senior Member TomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Because the review into selections hasn't completed yet, which presumably is to find out whether anything that was done around Olympic Selections constitutes gross negligence or simply a failure to meet targets.

As I said at the AGM, if all the questions you want answered can legitimately meet the response "wait and see what the review says", we all just have to be patient. Wait for the review, read the findings and respond accordingly.
    Still, my gut feeling is that she'll still be in the job come New Year. A review doesn't have the power to sack her, that's the board's prerogative and, even with the best will and initiative in the world, I doubt the new candidates will have consolidated their position enough before the March elections to make such a decision (unless something huge gets uncovered by the review). If Alex Newton is to go, I suspect it will be at the end of the 2013 international season.

Member n_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of lightn_freebody is a glorious beacon of light n_freebody's Avatar

May be a stupid question but am I right in assuming these changes apply to all weapons not just sabre? If so then it would explain why half the ranking are taking an age and a half. Surely it cant be that complicated to re calculate. If it does apply to all weapons then are the rankings for the likes of ME and WF wrong cause they came out at the begining of the month as usual.

Senior Member marg has a spectacular aura aboutmarg has a spectacular aura about marg's Avatar

Default sabre rankings

Have I missed something? What is going on ? Foil and Epee have their rankings up on BF web site but not sabre. I presume the changes will effect all weapons so why not publish them in the usual way like the other weapons have done and change them when needed. There are fencing enthusiasts out there waiting.

Senior Member dtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the rough

Default November rankings

Could someone please let us know if we are going to have November rankings, or are they just going to be abandoned for this month?

Couldn't we at least see the old style, if they were ready near the start of the month? It would actually be quite interesting to compare November under the old and new ranking schemes.
    demented taxi driver

Initiate SabreRankings will become famous soon enough

My apologies for the lateness of the rankings and also for not giving an update on this.

The rule changes caught me off guard as normally, I would aim to have the rankings to go by the 1st of each month.

This month there has been two sets of rule changes for me to implement so when I thought I'd made the changes, another set arrived on the 5th and I needed to start the process again.

I did intend to have the new rankings up by the end of that week, with the new rules back dated to the last 12 months worth of competitions but unfortunately the timing is rather bad and personal commitments have got in the way.

I'm aiming to finish the work needed this weekend and publish the November rankings on Monday after I have had time to double check the figures.

December rankings will be published on Saturday to give any late submission of foreign domestic results a chance to get into the rankings.
    "He ranks as high as Rome!"

Senior Member fa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to behold

Simon,
    What are the 2 changes, I only heard of the 4 Internationals one?
    Thanks
    H

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

And why would you backdate the change to the rules for the last 12 months?
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Senior Member dtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the update, much appreciated.

It's not really going to make much change, is it? From a quick glance at the current men's rankings, only 15 sabreurs have done more than 3 'international' competitions and, of those, I can only see one person who has scored points in more than 3 competitions. I hadn't realized until now how many 'nul points' Britain has accumulated.

I'm interested to see what the other change is, and why backdate?
    demented taxi driver

Initiate SabreRankings will become famous soon enough

The rules have also standardised the cut to be 75%. The change was introduced this time last year but I'm afraid I didn't get to hear about it until last month.

To calculate the current rankings, I need to apply the ranking rules to competitions of the last 12 months. If the rules change, then according to the letter of the law, I am obliged to backdate.
    "He ranks as high as Rome!"

Senior Member Peter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to beholdPeter Pan is a splendid one to behold Peter Pan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SabreRankings View Post
    The rules have also standardised the cut to be 75%.
    What does that mean?
    Never grew up

Thirty hours Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute Red's Avatar

Top 75% get points. Even in World Cups...
    It's now significantly easier to score points from these events...

Senior Member fa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to beholdfa266 is a splendid one to behold

This makes me want to weep. Literally, what was the point in doing any domestic competitions this season?

It would be funny if it didn't look like an attempt to penalise those not "in the club" already.
    It's hard to be patient when you see apparent abuses of power like the subject of this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by fa266 View Post
    This makes me want to weep. Literally, what was the point in doing any domestic competitions this season?
    This thread makes me WTF so hard.

Who might benefit here who has made the cut but been knocked out in the first DE? Maybe once we know that, we'll get to the bottom of the actual reason for the change.

I really REALLY want to see the relative rankings for before and after the changes, is this just going to benefit those "in the club".

And the effect is about tripled at epee where you get massive entries.

Senior Member AussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond reputeAussieMongrel has a reputation beyond repute AussieMongrel's Avatar

Fence-Balls
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 4.

As an afterthought, does this sound like something there could be a legal challenge to?

Let's say fencer A chose to concentrate on a domestic competition rather than going to an international, believing themselves not able to make an L64. Some other fencers go and finish 100th from 134, which made no difference at the time, but now is enough to bump fencer A out of the top 6 and means they are not eligible for selection for an A-Grade they have planned to do. Sounds like something you could legally object to.

Gav, can we move this thread, (maybe retitle it) into somewhere more general than Sabre please - lots of people only finding it now.

This thread makes me WTF so hard.

Who might benefit here who has made the cut but been knocked out in the first DE? Maybe once we know that, we'll get to the bottom of the actual reason for the change.

I really REALLY want to see the relative rankings for before and after the changes, is this just going to benefit those "in the club".

And the effect is about tripled at epee where you get massive entries.
    Hokers
    There is still the requirement of reaching the L64 to score points. For competition with a less than 100 fencers there will be a difference, but it will not effect competitions with larger entries.
    Graham

So if you get points at a Senior level for achieving last 64 and top 75%, then shouldn't all age groups have similar criteria?

Extract from Junior and Cadet Ranking Schemes:

Points are awarded to fencers who reach the last 64 of a nominated competition, provided that in doing so they are placed in the top 50% of those competing for international events, and top 75% for domestic events

Can anyone explain to me why it is harder for our youth teams to score ranking points?

Wonder if the change to 75% for Senior competitions can have something to do with all those 'nul points' on international competitions?
    demented taxi driver

Just seen november's as well as the updated october rankings published. The ranking change does not seem to have made any difference yet.

November seems to be lacking in any november competitions, including the nationals. Or is this just my computer?

Senior Member Rids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by SGibbs View Post
    November seems to be lacking in any november competitions, including the nationals. Or is this just my computer?
    These are as of 1st November, so will not include any November events. They will come through in December.

+ Reply to Thread