+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Forums?

Default Unusual Forums?

I joined the Ford Transit Forum recently to get some advice on a problem and discovered a whole new scary world...
    I then started to wonder about other unusual Forums that exist out there and am keen(!) to find out if anyone on here knows of any?
    Any suggestions Gav?

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

I like how you assume I would know.

I've not joined any genuinely odd forums ever. I recommend taking a look at a classical fencing forum just so you know never to go again. Some of the worst forums I've ever looked at are online gaming ones ... yes the stereotypes are all true.

Some of the best forums I am active in are tech forums. Many are remarkably informative. The downside to these is that I've had to deal with the right wing nutjobs (seems to go with the tech crowd).

I used to be a member of a popular sceptical forum as well. Even on there you would find people who believed the oddest things... and they promoted themselves as rationalist.

For a prank someone once signed me up to a hippy forum and posted a whole load of abuse promoting fascism. I got a lot of angry (mildly upset might be a better description) emails from a bunch of New Age idiots. And a lot of Spanish (specifically) racists started to message me on MSN. Bizarre times.

I used to have more time for this sort of thing when I worked night shifts.

ps. Don't join a SF forum ever. You'd think that SF fans had the potential to be well read - especially in their own genre - I found it to be depressingly the opposite.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

I know its not really a "forum" but how about this Tumblr of white folk mourning the defeat of Romney?

http://whitepeoplemourningromney.tumblr.com/
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Here's an oldie but a goody.

http://selleckwaterfallsandwich.tumblr.com/

Words don't do it justice!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

In my younger years i was a member of a modelling forum. You know, airfix and stuff?

You have not lost faith in humanity unless youve seen a group of middle aged men completely losing it about:
    1) Whether Mosquito fighter exhaust pipes were kept polished
    2) The colour of German WW2 life jacket straps (grey or white, no fence sitting!)
    3) Exacly what shade of green Spitfires were painted. I kid you not, they had a thread a week on that.

Ive also come across forums that seemed to be entirely populated by bots, each of which had a pretty girl as an avatar, posting random phrases to each other and creating new threads themselves. It was almost creepy.

Oh, and stay away from furry forums. Ignorance is bliss.
    Épée-n in the leg.

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

I get accused of being a forum nerd but most of mine are quite tame compared to some mentioned.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php a forum about torches. You can buy really bright ones these days...

http://edcforums.com/ EDC is short for "every day carry" I am a bit obsessive about the collection of stuff I carry around. Mostly this is attached to my keyring and made of titanium. Really...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ A forum about overclocking and exotic cooling for computers.

That is the best I can manage in terms of forums I have actually joined.

[QUOTE=Gav;274402]I like how you assume I would know.

Hi Gav, you've not let me down yet!
    The Tom Sellock/Sandwich site is downright weird...

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I like how you assume I would know.
    Hi Gav, you've not let me down yet!
    The Tom Sellock/Sandwich site is downright weird...
    It really got weird when they had to sub Selleck out and put in Burt Reynolds. (Sub - geddit?)
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

A torch forum... wow.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Senior Member Barry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud ofBarry Paul has much to be proud of Barry Paul's Avatar

Please don't encourage him. he should be working!!!!

fixing broken stuff! wingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud ofwingnutLP has much to be proud of wingnutLP's Avatar

A torch forum... wow.
    you don't know the half of it! http://www.oveready.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutLP View Post
    you don't know the half of it! http://www.oveready.com/
    Get back to work!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Senior Member BigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger
    Oh, and stay away from furry forums. Ignorance is bliss.
    I think I know what that is and don't think I'll be checking that one on the works account! Nor am I going to ask what led you to a furry forum...
    Risk a lot and wear glasses

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Real geeks use Usenet.

These forums are a PITA by comparison.

Ahh those were the days.

http://windows95tips.tumblr.com/
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

"Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Senior Member Cyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud ofCyranna's Father has much to be proud of Cyranna's Father's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappaBear View Post
    I think I know what that is and don't think I'll be checking that one on the works account! Nor am I going to ask what led you to a furry forum...
    I think the question is more why would a Honey Badger NOT be on a furry forum? assuming it can get its paws to type fast enough for chat
    just a daddy...and chauffeur

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Number 16 happened to me just yesterday... its the perspective that hurts most.
    Épée-n in the leg.

Senior Member Miacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to all

Number 17 often happens in the French stations I'm in - weird!

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

Am consistently amazed that there are MULTIPLE businesses making a living purely from recycling content they find on Reddit, itself a content aggregator.

That is pretty funny though.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

+ Reply to Thread