+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Docklands Junior BSC Results

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Default Docklands Junior BSC Results

As sent to me this evening - Thanks Hilary

1 HENDRIE George SUSSEX HOUSE
    2 BROSNAN James MONZA
    3 ARCHER Kristjan NEWHAM SWORDS
    3 BIRCH Jai NEWHAM SWORDS
    5 WOOLLARD Max SALLE PAUL
    6 ST JOHN Charlie SUSSEX HOUSE
    7 SADIQ Hussain ACADEMY
    8 CORLETT Thomas SALLE KISS
    9 LLOYD Alexander ZFW
    10 OSTACCHINI Glen SALLE BOSTON
    11 DONOVAN Alex FIGHTING FIT
    12 MINOTT Kamal NEWHAM SWORDS
    13 FITTON Matthew SALLE KISS
    14 BAILEY George MILLFIELD
    15 RAI Rajan NEWHAM SWORDS
    16 WATSON Jack AFONDO
    17 BRYANT Lyle SUSSEX HOUSE
    18 MANSON James SUSSEX HOUSE
    19 JORDAN Peter SALLE PAUL
    20 BASHIR Ibrahim BRISTOL
    20 KISS Daniel SALLE KISS
    22 CLARKE Thomas A&C SWORD
    22 SAMBROOK Josh CAMBRIDGE SWORD
    24 O'HARA Oscar CHICHESTER
    25 LOZOVIK Alan NEWHAM SWORDS
    26 CHU Andrew LOUTH
    27 SCHLINDWEIN Alex SALLE STRETTON
    28 FEASTER John MALVERN
    29 FEASTER Daniel MALVERN
    30 LEGKOVSKY Mark SUTTON UNIVERSITY
    31 RIDSDALE Ethan RUSSELL SWORDS
    32 BERNSTEIN Richard MILLFIELD
    33 LEE Toby SUSSEX HOUSE
    34 WARD Sam CHILWELL BLADES
    35 NICHOLAS Kameron FIGHTING FIT
    36 BEARDMORE Alex FIGHTING FIT
    37 KOUDOU Michael NEWHAM SWORDS
    38 DOHERTY Nathan SHEFFIELD BUCCANEERS
    39 PRIESTLEY Ben TEAM MELIA
    40 ADEBAJO Habib NEWHAM SWORDS
    40 WADDINGTON Oliver HYMERS
    42 WIELEMANS Timour CAMBRIDGE SWORD
    43 GUNDLE Leo SALLE PAUL
    44 BENNETT Freddie CAMBRIDGE SWORD
    45 ROBINSON Alex UWE
    46 HEAD Ian WHITGIFT
    47 DEAMER Luke A&C SWORD
    48 RUSSELL Iain WFFC
    49 SPENCER-TAYLOR Alex SHEFFIELD BUCCANEERS
    50 BIRD Harry SALLE BOSTON
    51 MONK Alex WFFC
    52 DUNNILL Ollie BRISTOL GRAMMAR
    52 FOLEY Cormac WINCHESTER ESCRIME
    54 DOUGLAS Jack WALLACE
    55 STEWART Jacob SUSSEX HOUSE
    56 BEX Mckinley SALLE PAUL
    57 BECK Alexander CHARTERHOUSE
    58 DIFRANCISCO Hugo ACADEMY
    59 LEWIS Celyn RUSSELL SWORDS
    60 ARCHER Ciaran CAMBRIDGE SWORD
    61 BURROWS Sean LEICESTER
    62 KELLY James FIGHTING FIT
    63 HOUSE Nik FIGHTING FIT
    64 MISRA Ashman CITY OF LONDON SCHOOL
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Good competition awards
    The British Fencing Parents Group have been asked by the organisers to carry out a survey of all participants in This competition. The purpose of the survey is to give fencers, parents, coaches, and in fact all attendees of the competition the opportunity to provide feedback to the competition organisers which they will use to improve future competitions.

The competition will also be entered into the Good Competition Awards for 2012/13

The survey can be found on the Parents Group website, or by clicking on this link

http://www.bfparentsgroup.co.uk/inde...rce&survey=117

The results will be published on the parents group website, and sent to the organisers shortly afterwards.

If you have any problems accessing the questionnaire then email edwardpeck at sky dot com.

I would like to add that the organisers have asked us to produce this survey, but have neither tried to control the questions, nor restrict the distribution of the results. I think this straightforward approach to trying to do what they do better, and being totally open about the praise and perhaps criticisms they receive is great news for fencing in the UK.

Finally may I reassure you that this questionnaire is entirely confidential

Thanks for a wonderful day Linda, that was one of the best run competitions I've been to. Well done to all your team.

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

Taking away nothing from the excellent organisation of the Docklands wouldn't it have been better for Junior Foil (I haven't checked other weapons) Fencers to have had the possibility of taking part in both this event AND the Welsh if they had been so inclined?
    And Yes.
    This is the umpteenth time that I've raised this issue but the Fencing Fraternity seems unable, or unwilling, to grasp this particular nettle and so I make no apologies for repeating my ranting!

Senior Member ChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to behold ChrisL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeBeginsAt58 View Post
    Taking away nothing from the excellent organisation of the Docklands wouldn't it have been better for Junior Foil (I haven't checked other weapons) Fencers to have had the possibility of taking part in both this event AND the Welsh if they had been so inclined?
    And Yes.
    This is the umpteenth time that I've raised this issue but the Fencing Fraternity seems unable, or unwilling, to grasp this particular nettle and so I make no apologies for repeating my ranting!
    I'd also be interested to know if anyone has come up with a reason why this was done

A wild and crazy man Rdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud ofRdb811 has much to be proud of Rdb811's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'd also be interested to know if anyone has come up with a reason why this was done
    To prevent people doing such a thing ? The time / expense involved isn't small.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

First of all Today's results as sent to me.

1 KING Leah SUSSEX HOUSE
    2 FIHOSY Ayesha SALLE BOSTON
    3 MCDERMOTT Chiara CRAWLEY SWORD
    3 SMITH Katie EDINBURGH
    5 CHART Yvonne TRURO
    6 FITTON Alexandra SALLE KISS
    7 COLLISTER Stephanie U/A
    8 CLARKE Ruth EDINBURGH
    9 SUDDERICK Zoe ALDERSHOT
    10 MARTIN Lorna ALDERSHOT
    11 ARCHER Hannah SALLE KISS
    12 CLARKE Jade WELLINGTON
    13 POIL Georgia ALDERSHOT
    14 MULLINS Chloe CAMBRIDGE SWORD
    15 TOMLINSON Elen CARDIFF UNI
    16 RICE Ella ALDERSHOT
    17 BEARDMORE Kate FIGHTING FIT
    18 SUDDERICK Phoebe ALDERSHOT
    19 PANDE Avni HYMERS COLLEGE
    20 KURTIS Emma HYMERS COLLEGE
    21 DMOCHOWSKA Bella FIGHTING FIT
    22 ELLIS Bethany WREKIN SWORD
    23 BRYANT Stacey WINCHESTER
    24 RICH Elaria SURREY SWORDS
    25 FEKLISTOVA Katrina NEWHAM SWORDS
    26 NOBLE Madelaine BATH UNI
    27 BRUNNSTORM Ebba FIGHTING FIT
    28 WOODIWISS Zoe A&C SWORDS
    29 MOSS Amber A&C SWORDS
    30 O'DONNELL Niamh WFFC
    31 WILLIAMS Rebeccah CARDIFF
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

My suspicion is that the WF event is usually the smaller of the two and the organisers like to get finished earlier on the Sunday than the Saturday. Generally so do parents.

On the wider point, there is no coordination of the calendars AT ALL.

But also most of our fencers over fence and under train. Admittedly many of them have poor training facilites at their home clubs, and so competitions are part of their training.

Builiding a competition programme rather than entering every competition in sight is part of being a successful fencer.

Incidentally, I have done both sets of rankings already, but I want to look at them again in the morning when I am less tired before publishing.

Paul

Default Good competition awards

The British Fencing Parents Group have been asked by the organisers to carry out a survey of all participants in This competition. The purpose of the survey is to give fencers, parents, coaches, and in fact all attendees of the competition the opportunity to provide feedback to the competition organisers which they will use to improve future competitions.

The competition will also be entered into the Good Competition Awards for 2012/13

The survey can be found on the Parents Group website, or by clicking on this link

The results will be published on the parents group website, and sent to the organisers shortly afterwards.

If you have any problems accessing the questionnaire then email edwardpeck at sky dot com.

I would like to add that the organisers have asked us to produce this survey, but have neither tried to control the questions, nor restrict the distribution of the results. I think this straightforward approach to trying to do what they do better, and being totally open about the praise and perhaps criticisms they receive is great news for fencing in the UK.

Finally may I reassure you that this questionnaire is entirely confidential

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Rdb811 View Post
    To prevent people doing such a thing ? The time / expense involved isn't small.
    Oh well that's all right then! Let's be grateful that our tiny, little minds don't need to agonise over such weighty choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Foilling Around View Post
    My suspicion is that the WF event is usually the smaller of the two and the organisers like to get finished earlier on the Sunday than the Saturday. Generally so do parents.

On the wider point, there is no coordination of the calendars AT ALL.

But also most of our fencers over fence and under train. Admittedly many of them have poor training facilites at their home clubs, and so competitions are part of their training.

Builiding a competition programme rather than entering every competition in sight is part of being a successful fencer.

Welsh Open Schedule:
    Saturday 10th November:
    Men's Foil 08:00-08:45
    Women's Epee 10:00-10:45
    Women's Sabre 11:45-12:30

Sunday 11th November:
    Men's Epee 08:00-08:45
    Women's Foil 10:00-10:45
    Men's Sabre 11:45-12:30

Docklands BSC Schedule:
    Events Check-in closes
    Saturday 10th
    Men 09.00
    Sunday 11th
    Women 09.00
    A casual glance at both these schedules shows that the organisers of the Welsh made an attempt to balance the MF and WF with a later start-time for the latter for the two days. The docklands event was basically blokes on the saturday, girls on the Sunday with no start-time differentation re group sizes.
    Agree with your point about no coordination of calendars as I do with your remark about building a competition programme as part of being a successful fencer.
    'Entering every Competition in sight' is, in my opinion, not applicable in this case as, it could be argued and I do so, that BOTH competitions could be seen as equally valid within some fencers competition programme.

Senior Member Hungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud of Hungry Hippo's Avatar

Somebody, somewhere at BF, on one of those faceless committees took a deliberate decision to schedule these two competitions at the same time, because the WF at the BSC Docklands was originally on the Saturday, the same day as the MF.

This would at least have allowed WF to attend both events, and some parents did indeed enter both and, I believe that some even booked accommodation around it. The original plan for the organisers was that one day was easily manageable, and this is backed up by the finish times - 15:30 for the MF on Saturday and 13:45 for the WF on Sunday (eat your heart out CESH!)

So the change of plan enforced by BF has cost both sets of organisers, because decisions had to be made which competition to attend - some went to one and some went to the other, but both lost out on entry numbers - particularly the Welsh WF, where senior Opens are traditionally dominated by Juniors and Cadets (entries-wise, not wininng it!). Additionally, the BSC Docklands had a pointless second day which had to pay the usual hall hire, support staff expenses etc etc.

This is another poor decision by BF following the debacle at the BSC Gateshead, where the organisers were forced to run all six weapons on one weekend, where the local infrastructure and support staff were not able to handle six events. These had always been excellently run in the past, but were ruined by a decision by BF to get all weapons on at the same time, because a couple of parents whose offsping do different weapons had complained about travelling a long way on different weekends.

The results of that poor decision is that the BSC Gateshead didn't have anything like the support staff (especially referees) that it has had in the past, events took much longer to run, and were poorly officiated and managed - I do not point the finger at the organisers, because they know what they can handle, but were told to do it differently. End result is that every fencer (and their parents) suffered because one or two parents were not previously happy.

Some of the decisions that come from whichever committee is making these choices does not stand up to scrutiny, and the intended consequences are very poorly thought through, or not even considered! Whilst on the theme, why do some BSC events run two rounds of poules and some only one? Do they not talk to each other? Surely some consistency is in order, and someone with some common sense should at least review these decisions before making them public.

@hh
    +10

Member Let's Fence will become famous soon enough Let's Fence's Avatar

Not wanting to hijack the thread but need to clarify a point raised above.

The Gateshead BSC foil and Épée were scheduled for the weekend after they were held this year but the IYC insisted that we move them as they clashed with the National Academy regional delivery which did cause issues with refereeing, equipment and venues as it clashed with the sabre BSC less than smile away from the épée and foil and clashed with other large events elsewhere in the country.

The IYC basically gave us the choice run them when they wanted or they would find someone else, in fact they actuall approached other parties to run them until we agreed to move them.

I was personaly informed that this was due to not being allowed to clash with the important regional delivery of the National Academy, which has ceased to be so important really, and not due to parental complaints although if anyone else know more about this feel free to post.

Iain

Senior Member dtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Fence View Post
    I was personaly informed that this was due to not being allowed to clash with the important regional delivery of the National Academy, which has ceased to be so important really

Iain
    More madness in scheduling from BF? Which came first - the planned competition or the Regional Training Day? Clearly the kids can't attend both on the same weekend.

Am I missing something? I thought the Regional Training days were going well and the move to a Regional Hub sounded like a very good idea.
    demented taxi driver

+ Reply to Thread