+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The GB Jnr Championships!!!

Senior Member Not quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by d_f_a View Post
    For those of us in the SE this is a welcome change from Sheffield. I've spent so much time in the Arena and Meadowhall Premier Inn the staff know my name. Obviously Gillingham isn't at all central but I dont understand people complaining they will need to book a hotel for this event when that's what many of us in the SE have to do every time for Sheffield.
    The same goes for any Scottish Fencer (GB Seniors/Sheffield was a 2 night stay), but at least the journey is relatively short in the grand scheme of things (4-5 hours by car).

It's the traveling to this venue that will put a lot of people off. The local airport is useless. Train travel isn't cheap and requires 4 trains for us.

This kind of out of the way venue is fine if BF were going to shift the Comp fairly about the Country from Season to Season.

I do not mind traveling South as we do, Cardiff, Slough, Essex. But an almost 1000 mile round trip is taking the biscuit!!!

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ED_R View Post
    Sheffield Arena was a wonderful venue, and central, so the loss of it is a bit sad - even for those of us who discover we live on the wrong side of the M25.

Sheffield is always such a nice place to stay compared to the garden of England
    Loss of it?

Are we not using it at all any more?

Sheffield was a good compromise in both travel terms, quality of city and also bang for your buck (carping about the parking aside).
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Senior Member Not quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to behold

Let's have it in Inverness next year, still a 3 hour journey for us, but lets see the complaints from the SE...

I agree Gav, Sheffield was as ideal as you were going to get for fair traveling location, nice enough city, and well liked and proven venue.

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    Let's have it in Inverness next year, still a 3 hour journey for us, but lets see the complaints from the SE...

I agree Gav, Sheffield was as ideal as you were going to get for fair traveling location, nice enough city, and well liked and proven venue.
    I quite like Inverness. Good choice!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Member MrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud of

Default I've never been to Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I quite like Inverness. Good choice!
    I've never been to Inverness but I've just had a quick check and the flight from my local airport take 1 1/2 hours and it costs just a smidge over 100 (including hold luggage), train from local station to Gillingham involves 3 hour plus journey negotiating both St Pancras and Euston, and costs just under 70. I think the 30 odd pound difference is probably worth it!

I considered the road option to Kent but involves both the M1 and M25 on a Friday night, the thought of which had me reaching for the smelling salts!
    Last edited by MrsB; -13th November 2012 at 11:44. Reason: typing failure

Senior Member ED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond repute

Loss of it?
    ...as a venue for GB Cadet and Junior Champs.

I will miss the Indian restaurant just up the road from the venue this year, as a result. I doubt Gillingham will manage anything quite like it.

The best venue for indian eating I have found to a few streets away from Manchester Cadet venue. And you have lots of time to eat it Perhaps we could give bolton a try next year.

Any good food in Inverness?
    Edward Peck

Member MrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of lightMrsWFFC is a glorious beacon of light MrsWFFC's Avatar

Default disappointed

Ah well having just looked it up on the map it is probably something like a 10 hour dive or if we fly its the flight then a 2hr train journey with 2 or 3 changes so I guess my little ones who had been planning to have a look-see at the cadet and junior competition for the first time will not be going.

I don't have a huge issue with changing venues although Sheffield was really handy for the Scots but BF must consider those who live outside of the venue area and choose venues with good public transport links either from major airports or by train.

I fear that only those people who live close or are scrapping for the third spot in the worlds team will attend which is a shame as lower ranked fencers or younger fencers looking to start getting an idea of the standard at the top end of their age groups will save their money. Certainly there will probably be four or more entries missing from WFFC this time round.

A real shame after all the work that has gone into building this competition over the last few years
    All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas, Layin' in the sun,
    Talkin' 'bout the things, They woulda coulda shoulda done...
    But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas, All ran away and hid
    From one little Did.

Quote Originally Posted by ED_R View Post
    Any good food in Inverness?
    There's a few places in Inverness (I'm sure Chris Hyde could chime in with details).

The best venue for indian eating I have found to a few streets away from Manchester Cadet venue.
    On a separate note; we used to stop of at a great place in Bradford on the way back. Well worth the time off the motorway.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWFFC View Post
    I don't have a huge issue with changing venues although Sheffield was really handy for the Scots but BF must consider those who live outside of the venue area and choose venues with good public transport links either from major airports or by train.
    Step forward Gillingham, Kent!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_f_a View Post
    For those of us in the SE this is a welcome change from Sheffield. I've spent so much time in the Arena and Meadowhall Premier Inn the staff know my name. Obviously Gillingham isn't at all central but I dont understand people complaining they will need to book a hotel for this event when that's what many of us in the SE have to do every time for Sheffield.
    I agree that Sheffield is rather too far north to be ideal. Somewhere just around the M25 between the M40 and the M1 would be ideal. Between there and Birmingham but easy access to an airport.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Member MrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud of

There's a few places in Inverness (I'm sure Chris Hyde could chime in with details).

On a separate note; we used to stop of at a great place in Bradford on the way back. Well worth the time off the motorway.

I think perhaps we have been considering the location of the Nationals from the wrong perspective; first and foremost we need to consider the availability and location of good curry houses, and then try and find a venue nearby

Senior Member ED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of 10 hour dives, I do remember a great bar with home brewed beer and oysters, in Whitstable (next door to Gillingham) from our Canterbury Challenge days.
    Edward Peck

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    I think perhaps we have been considering the location of the Nationals from the wrong perspective; first and foremost we need to consider the availability and location of good curry houses, and then try and find a venue nearby
    Hey Donnie McKnzie would agree!

(Sorry for the detour...)
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by Foilling Around View Post
    I agree that Sheffield is rather too far north to be ideal. Somewhere just around the M25 between the M40 and the M1 would be ideal. Between there and Birmingham but easy access to an airport.
    Hatfield perhaps - where the EYC is held. Seriously I am a little worried that the combination of moving the date (beyond selection dates for most fencers) and the venue (beyond reason for scots) will make this a difficult event.

We need some Baldric razmatazz to maintain it as the successful event it has been in the past, despite the changes.
    Edward Peck

Doesn't really affect us now (1 too, 1 too young) but surely something in the triangle Oxford - Cambridge - Milton Keynes (theres a name to conjure with) could be found. I know its not Kent or Essex but ....
    It might even be cheaper and easier to travel to Paris or Amsterdam.

On a more important note Harrogate has a good indian restaurant and Albrighton (by RAF Csrford) two good ones. Belfast has some pretty good ones too.

Initiate Destiny Angel will become famous soon enough

Ah I think I have the ideal location Paul - Chalfont St Giles

25 minutes to T5 and 10 minutes to J16 of the M25 and 10 minutes to J2 of the M40. Curry House Miltons Head and Chinese Mr Poons. Yes there is a Leisure centre with nice big hall too !

Bonza
    Juliette Pontoin

Initiate Jasmine P is on a distinguished road Jasmine P's Avatar

Would explain why the Herts LPJS filled up so quickly!

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

From recollection this venue is now a major centre for martial arts.

Probably good venue for London and South-East, but not so good for rest of country.

However, it is accessible by train. Journey time from London St Pancras is approximately 45 minutes.

Senior Member BigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of light

How big does it need to be? Could do Bradford for some good curries... wide range of price options so caters for all budgets...
    Risk a lot and wear glasses

Senior Member dtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the roughdtd is a jewel in the rough

Default Entry Fees

30 entry fee for either Cadets or Juniors. Ouch.

These facilities must be impressive to justify those costs. Alternatively it could be to cover an extra nights accommodation and travel costs for the referees.
    demented taxi driver

+ Reply to Thread