+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Scottish Fencing just for the Birdies?

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

Default Is Scottish Fencing just for the Birdies?

Ok, I'll admit that, in fencing terms, life began for me when I was 58 but I'm now 63 and getting progressively grumpier by the day
    So, I'm going to moan again, as is my wont!
    My target today is the SF website or, more precisely, the lack of follow-up information on it about events that have joined the Norwegian-Blue Parrot in the afterlife.
    Let me narrow the field. The Scottish Schools Individual Championships were held at the same time as the 5-Nations two weekends ago (that's about a century in Internet terms) and where are the results?
    I can't find them and I've even looked at Wales Fencing (Cymerwch bwa Folks eich gwefan yn wych) just in case they put them up as a courtesy for Scottish viewers.
    Credit where credit is due though. SF is excellent at putting up forthcoming information but once an event is over I get the distinct impression that 'out of sight is out of mind'
    Even the 5-nations result only got a few perfunctory 'tweets' on the SF flagship post-event but when compared to the captains reports and score-sheets of 'ein cymdogion Cymraeg' 'twas a pitiful contribution!
    SF, your new website looks great, your presentation of future events has much improved so don't spoil the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar.
    Just tell us, in your own words and on the site, what happens so we don't have to depend on #twitterings from little birdies!

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

Awesome. We're about to have a Scottish Fencing bunfight!
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

It must be about time for one Gavin; it's been too quiet for ages!

Retired Jelly Baby Baldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond repute

Popcorn, check. Beer, check.

Let the games begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Awesome. We're about to have a Scottish Fencing bunfight!
    Surely it should be shortbread?
    "The goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning"

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Surely it should be shortbread?
    Shortbread's far too healthy for us...
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artignan View Post
    Shortbread's far too healthy for us...
    Deep fried shortbread? I beleive its a delicacy in Motherwell...
    Épée-n in the leg.

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Deep fried shortbread? I beleive its a delicacy in Motherwell...
    Anything that isn't still trying to run away when you eat it is a delicacy in Motherwell...
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artignan View Post
    Anything that isn't still trying to run away when you eat it is a delicacy in Motherwell...
    In Motherwell everything is running away ...

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAPIERWIT View Post
    In Motherwell everything is running away ...
    Running? In Motherwell? You must be joking...
    Épée-n in the leg.

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Running? In Motherwell? You must be joking...
    I love that when you get off the train in the Motherwell the first thing that hits you is the smell of chips.

The next thing will probably be one of the many delightful street urchins. The little scamps.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeBeginsAt58 View Post
    Ok, I'll admit that, in fencing terms, life began for me when I was 58 but I'm now 63 and getting progressively grumpier by the day
    So, I'm going to moan again, as is my wont!
    My target today is the SF website or, more precisely, the lack of follow-up information on it about events that have joined the Norwegian-Blue Parrot in the afterlife.
    Let me narrow the field. The Scottish Schools Individual Championships were held at the same time as the 5-Nations two weekends ago (that's about a century in Internet terms) and where are the results?
    I can't find them and I've even looked at Wales Fencing (Cymerwch bwa Folks eich gwefan yn wych) just in case they put them up as a courtesy for Scottish viewers.
    Credit where credit is due though. SF is excellent at putting up forthcoming information but once an event is over I get the distinct impression that 'out of sight is out of mind'
    Even the 5-nations result only got a few perfunctory 'tweets' on the SF flagship post-event but when compared to the captains reports and score-sheets of 'ein cymdogion Cymraeg' 'twas a pitiful contribution!
    SF, your new website looks great, your presentation of future events has much improved so don't spoil the ship for a halfpenny worth of tar.
    Just tell us, in your own words and on the site, what happens so we don't have to depend on #twitterings from little birdies!
    Now, let's get back to the topic.

I can sort-of sympathise with this statement. It's my understanding that SF HQ has an issue keeping the site up to date because they need someone willing to be the site administrator. In addition (again this is just my understanding) the various sections have been put under the control of those who are theoretically responsible for it. So if they don't want to get involved posting updates then not much will get done. I know that SF is are looking for someone to curate their website - fancy a job?

There's a complete side issue that perhaps some members of the community are just more highly motivated to share updates (the birdies). I think things are improving but cultural change takes time.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Senior Member Not quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to beholdNot quite a Vet is a splendid one to behold

Now, let's get back to the topic.

I can sort-of sympathise with this statement. It's my understanding that SF HQ has an issue keeping the site up to date because they need someone willing to be the site administrator. In addition (again this is just my understanding) the various sections have been put under the control of those who are theoretically responsible for it.
    Excuses aside Gav, it is an NGB Website! It's not a garden shed hobby! Our NGB get's money and surely communication, news, updates, and shall I say "blowing our own trumpet every now and again", is one of the things this Organisation should be dealing with?

Quote Originally Posted by Not quite a Vet View Post
    Excuses aside Gav, it is an NGB Website! It's not a garden shed hobby! Our NGB get's money and surely communication, news, updates, and shall I say "blowing our own trumpet every now and again", is one of the things this Organisation should be dealing with?
    It's not an excuse it's realism.

This is one of the areas I am professionally involved in.

Scottish Fencing put out a call for someone to manage the website and how many people applied for the post? None.

I don't disagree with your point generally but if no one wants to do it then it won't get done.

EDIT: For the record I decided not to throw my hat into the ring on this one because I do in fact have a lot going on at the moment. I would start with the best intentions but don't think I would find the time.
    Last edited by Gav; -15th November 2012 at 10:47.
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Member Hyde will become famous soon enough Hyde's Avatar

There really is no (good) excuse for these not being published before now. What I can say is that I have clarified responsibility for this now so i would hope it will not be an issue in future. I would say that I think we are generally quite good at getting results up, but sometimes things slip through the net. In the case of a Scottish Fencing event like this though, that's inexcusable and I apologise. The results are now up on our site

As far as the 5 Nations is concerned, we are waiting for the Team Manager's report and we will publish this asap - within the next few days. We certainly did not consider that a few tweets (made during the event in an attempt to keep everyone updated) would be the extent of our reporting on the matter.

Harty has already expressed concern on the Forum about the 5 Nations and I fully agree with what he said. It needs to have a much higher profile and I am certain that BF could help (certainly as far as promoting its existence). But the event is "owned" by the five nations involved and I think its up to us to make the improvements that it deserves (such as its own website, for example). As Harty said, its our turn next year and we fully intend to make it something special.

Thanks for your input Gav. It isn't easy and we do need help to provide the fast and consistent information service that our members have come to expect. I think if anyone thinks we have missed something in future then a quick email to the office, to me or to any of the board will be the fastest way to get it resolved.

Commonwealth Fencing Championships 2014, Largs, Scotland www.cfc2014.org

Default Moan withdrawn unreservedly

Great response Chris. A problem on your watch has been identified and you've fixed it as soon as it has been brought to your attention.
    Now that's what I call effective AND transparent management, well done!
    The public mechanism by which I brought up the issue may have been somewhat embarassing and unwelcome and I do accept, in hindsight, that I should have e-mailed yourself.
    For that I apologise but, and I am being somewhat puckish here, I suspect that the outcome of this exchange has elevated SF more than denigrated it thanks to your timeous intervention and Gavin's description of the context.
    Any SF volunteers out there who can help Chris et al to provide that all important halfpenny worth of tar?

Retired Jelly Baby Baldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond reputeBaldric has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointing.

Here was me, all revved up for a good old fashioned Scottish Fencing punch-up, and then Hyde, Gav and LBa58 suddenly start posting mature, sensible, thoughtful posts!

Where's the malice, the unsubstantiated rumour-mongering, the back-stabbing and the deliberate misinterpretation that we have come to know and love?

Shame on you all.

Well Baldric I hear that you are a Russian agent and that you have a thing for space hoppers. And that's the real reason why there's change afoot at EF!
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldric View Post
    Disappointing.

Here was me, all revved up for a good old fashioned Scottish Fencing punch-up, and then Hyde, Gav and LBa58 suddenly start posting mature, sensible, thoughtful posts!

Where's the malice, the unsubstantiated rumour-mongering, the back-stabbing and the deliberate misinterpretation that we have come to know and love?

Shame on you all.
    I am confident that British Fencing could do better, perhaps the Scots need lessons from the South?
    Graham

Well Baldric I hear that you are a Russian agent and that you have a thing for space hoppers. And that's the real reason why there's change afoot at EF!
    Trouble is Gav, all this is true, has never been denied, and the spacehopper footage in on YouTube.

Baldricski

+ Reply to Thread