+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big decision to make this weekend

Senior Member Keith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Default Big decision to make this weekend

Off to Twickenham for my 3rd weekend at a major and professionally organised sport. Last weekend 81,000 watched. At the Olympics we had 8,000, but not all paying. It has been interesting to see how a big sport presents itself to its members and public.

I have to decide whether to continue as a possible BFA rep or whether to leave fencing. Lots of issues of principle to decide, having chatted to several Board members.

Difficult decision, but will have decided by Sunday night.

Keith

Member SAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura aboutSAD has a spectacular aura about

What ever you decide to do Keith I am sure that you will give it the same amount of consideration and thought that you have done in your career in the fencing world. I for one can remember the tournaments that you organised and executed in your distinct and successful way, and I feel it would be a shame to loose you but you could say you have given above and beyond the call of duty .

Thank you for every thing you have done and good luck
    SAD

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAD View Post
    I for one can remember the tournaments that you organised and executed in your distinct and successful way.
    I do base the 'Howser' standard on many of the Keith's standards for running events in an efficient manner. I remember doing last 8, semi and a final with a rest period of approximately 30 seconds between fights...

He has done so much for fencing over the last 25+ years and I really do hope that Keith decides to stay involved in fencing in some capacity. To lose his experience totally would be a real loss to our sport and especially youth fencing where he was amazing when I was younger..
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

I hope you stay involved in fencing in some form Keith, but I suppose the question is whether you will be happy in the brave new world.

Outside pressures have changed the organisation massively from the one which you took over all those years ago and can you see a role you would be comfortable in representing the new order?

I make no value judgements on you or the new order, just pointing out the situation as I see it.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

I don't think I'm alone in recognising a wee bit of sadness in your words, Mr Smith, but whatever your decision you'll always be respected and admired for what you've put into this sport over the years!
    Thank you and Gawd help those who aren't pulling their weight in whatever arena that you next decide to focus your attention on!
    Keep Kickin' Keith.

Senior Member Keith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, you make very valid points about the new order. I started it by getting UKS money. I have the feeling the new Board are trying to return to a sensible order, with genuine transparency, employee accountability, clear selection and taking into account the enormous role of volunteers. We currently have no full time paid management.

There are plenty of challenges ahead but I know the new Board wants to lead and nog just find out about BFA decisions from the Forum as sometimes happened in the last couple of years.

The basics of the sport are unchanged in reality and need to be fostered. Grow and Gold need massive attention.

I have been asked to clarify. Our CEO is part time and interim, our NA director is part time consultant, our Chair is contracted for 2 days per month and our International Programme is also managed by someone who has other business interests. This means the load on the Board must increase if we are to be successful.

The Board will need to make a crucial appointment in the new CEO before too long. I imagine the promised international review is stalled pending UKS decisions about funding.

Grow needs great attention as our membership has not grown for some years.

For me however, there are certain questions of principle I need to consider and also how BFA has treated people in the sport. That is what I am wrestling with and whether to continue. There is a vocal minority of the Board who have set views and it will be interesting to see how this develops with the new directors and interim CEO.

I need to decide this weekend as the FIE elections approaching and I have promised someone whom I respect that I will let them know by Sunday night and have been asked about BFA byforeign federations too.
    Whatever I decide fencing will always have a special place in my affections.

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

So... what is your decision Keith? I do hope you will remain involved in British Fencing. To lose someone with so much experience would be such a loss.

Default Decision made

I have made my decision and it was not easy. I am not going to represent BFA at the FIE elections in Moscow as certain issues of principle have not been resolved to my satisfaction and my conscience will not allow me to use public or BFA funds to be a candidate in these circumstances. For me certain points are red lines and cannot be crossed or ignored. I have written to those Directors who supported my inclusion as a candidate after the recent elections and also to David Teasdale to withdraw my candidature and to thank those Directors for their support.(I do not want to elaborate on these points as I hope the new BFA Board is slowly resolving these issues to the betterment of fencing and we should look to the future and not the past.)

I have received many emails this weekend and these have cheered me up no end. I intend to stay involved by helping as a volunteer at some competitions. I am still Chair of the Public Schools' Championships (largest competition in the UK) and on the Surrey Committee and want to help the fencers in this way. I have had an invite to help in the SE region again, which will be fun. I helped Jon Willis get Whitgift for the the Miller-Hallett and Milner-Barry competitions this weekend and have been asked to run a refereeing course too. I might even referee a little and am eager to help organise a Mike Matthews Memorial sabre competition.

I think it will be fun to be involved as a "foot soldier" again and just help where asked and when available.

I do hope that our other FIE candidates are successful in Moscow and wish them every success.

Thanks for your messages etc and now I hope you will all focus on enjoying your involvement in fencing as I did for a great deal of time and intend to do again.

Lard of the prance Tubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond reputeTubby has a reputation beyond repute Tubby's Avatar

Keith,
    thank you for your great service to fencing. You are one of the few people who feature in my children's fencing achievement photographs and are indelibly imprinted in our family history. We wish you all the best for the future. Maybe one day I will come to understand the lines you were being asked to cross which contributed to you making your decision. No doubt I will see you on the circuit and when I do I will thank you again in person.

Andrew Chang
    ~The squeeky wheel gets the oil or gets changed~
    Tubby is now totally miffed and has chucked it all in.

Senior Member Danum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura aboutDanum has a spectacular aura about

I am delighted you have decided to join the ranks as a foot soldier - we are a great little army. As Tubby says I am sure our paths will cross. Not sure what Karina will think having you around more!!

Kian Ryan purple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond reputepurple has a reputation beyond repute purple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.A.Smith View Post
    I think it will be fun to be involved as a "foot soldier" again and just help where asked and when available.
    Where: everywhere.
    When: everywhen.

And it is fun to be a foot soldier. Protip: Wear good boots.

Senior Member Mr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to beholdMr long sword is a splendid one to behold

Mike Matthews Memorial sabre competition......This will undoubtedly be a great tournament!! We at South London are looking forward to it.

Dan Morgan-Blake will be in charge and I will help. Trying to get Whitgift as a venue.

Spent today refereeing at the South East BYC foil. It was fun to be doing something positive and practical for fencing. Great to see the young fencers, the coaches, parents and the indefatigable volunteers.

It was also good to see the grassroots and foundations/future of our sport.

Senior Member d_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to beholdd_f_a is a splendid one to behold

It meant a lot to the fencers, coaches, parents and volunteers to have you there as a referee. Thanks Keith.

+ Reply to Thread