+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BFA numbers, why not rankings

Senior Member bafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of light bafco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    In all seriousness, if you're happy for them to be open:
    GitHub

About time you got yourself an account ;-)
    I don't do a lot of coding these days, but I will get an account and upload the scripts. Also expect to see the code for producing the results lists on the ManCad, NW Fencing and Leeds Open sites. If I can find it I will upload the database schema that I produced for online rankings too.
    If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.

Mavis Thornton pinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond reputepinkelephant has a reputation beyond repute pinkelephant's Avatar

The automatic downloads/uploads to the FIE and EFC websites, which do automatic ranking, use XML.

It does have problems with names or clubs containing apostrphes though.
    Advocate extraordinaire to Beelzebub.

I was in (brief) discussions with BF about effectively handing over fencingarchive to them - I've been waiting for them to get back to me for over a year now.

To import results to fencingarchive I have php parsers for Engarde HTML, Engarde XML, and FencingTime XML (.frd) and CSV (which is what gets used most of the time). I'll try to get these into a share-able format and make them available, my code is not currently the neatest...

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    I was in (brief) discussions with BF about effectively handing over fencingarchive to them - I've been waiting for them to get back to me for over a year now.

To import results to fencingarchive I have php parsers for Engarde HTML, Engarde XML, and FencingTime XML (.frd) and CSV (which is what gets used most of the time). I'll try to get these into a share-able format and make them available, my code is not currently the neatest...
    If you mean the exchanges we had about utilising fencingarchive for the rankings in a mutually beneficial manner, then I hardly count as BF. I passed things on to the person I thought was best, but I don't think it got anywhere.

Anyhow I did mention this to David King in Sheffield and he was interested, but I never got round to following it up. I will do so now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Senior Member bafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of light bafco's Avatar

Default Senior Ranking Perl Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by bafco View Post
    I had forgotten that long ago I had written perl scripts to read the Excel spreadsheets for foil and epee and the web pages for sabre and to output CSV files. The formats have changed slightly so I have had to do some minor modifications, but they all now seem to work.

If anyone wants copies then drop me a PM.
    As purplerecommended I have opened an account on Github. You can get the scripts to extract CSV files from the senior rankings spreadsheets (foil and epee) and web pages (sabre) from this page
    If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

Why don't we start up an actual project?

I also hope some bounder doesn't nick your code for creating a tip top all singing software for managing a fencing website!
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Senior Member Rids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Why don't we start up an actual project?
    Having also done some work on this to support the Welsh Open, I would be happy to help where I can.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Rids has a spectacular aura aboutRids has a spectacular aura about

Don't know what my phone did there!

@Paul - it did go a little beyond you putting me in touch with BF, but not much further.

I was expecting the BF website redesign to incorporate a lot of this sort of stuff but hey, scrolling twitter feeds are useful too...

Quote Originally Posted by Rids View Post
    Having also done some work on this to support the Welsh Open, I would be happy to help where I can.

Count me in too. Probably worth checking with BF whether they intend to provide anything like this themselves first though.

Member MrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud ofMrsB has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    but hey, scrolling twitter feeds are useful too...
    such a pity they're not working then!

Default A very crude version

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappaBear View Post
    BAFCO - I'd be interested in an "britishised" fencing time...
    In the spirit of "Release Early, Release Often" I have placed a very early initial draft of my manual on GitHub, you can find it in this repository.

I generally don't bother too much with formatting at this stage, so if you do want to take a copy and make criticisms (which I welcome), then please don't criticise the formatting.

As I say, this is a very early draft. I haven't even proof read it as yet

+ Reply to Thread