+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survey for Male Fencers

Default Survey for Male Fencers

Hello, my name is Rebecca Shaw and I am an Engineering Design and Development student at Chapin High School, El Paso, TX. I am currently conducting research on hip and groin injuries in male fencers. If anyone could take a moment to answer the questions in this survey, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q6LZ39V

Thank you.

Done

What would you like to see in an athletic cup or similar device?
    Are you expecting many serious answers to that question?!!!

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

Hi Rebecca

Your survey makes no sense.
    I answered no to the first question, but then all the rest were still mandatory?
    How can I answer questions about a cup I don't use?

There's also a significant difference between foil and epee, (where the groin is target area and hit with the point) and sabre where it is not target and you hit with the edge mostly. Pretty rare to find sabreurs who use one I think (?)
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Moderator Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute Gav's Avatar

It's not even common (as far as I can tell - unscientifically) amongst foil and epeeists.

ps. I don't wear one and I filled in the rest of the questions by putting my "assuming it was the case" hat one.

Like Hokers I would recommend restructuring your questionnaire to get better outcomes.

Do you regularly wear a cup (we call them box here - and generically I see them referred to as protectors)?

If yes; questions about wearing one.
    If no; questions about not wearing one.

You wouldn't have to alter the your questionnaire significantly but you could gather some interesting data by asking supplementary questions.
    Last edited by Gav; -29th November 2012 at 10:38.
    "Evil does not wear a bonnet!"
    "Thanks Ants ... Thants.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;

Senior Member J4G has a spectacular aura aboutJ4G has a spectacular aura about

Done

I don't wear one and I filled in the rest of the questions by putting my "assuming it was the case"
    I had to do the same

Senior Member max is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to allmax is a name known to all max's Avatar

Same as responses above so I didn't bother filling in irrelevant questions and ended up not submitting the survey.

Plus, this question: " Have you ever caused groin pain to a fencer who was not wearing an athletic cup while fencing?" How would I know whether or not they were wearing a cup without looking? Your male fencers in Texas may compare the contents of their underpants but that's not something we British do.
    A problem shared is one more person to laugh at you.

Senior Member TomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Plus, this question: " Have you ever caused groin pain to a fencer who was not wearing an athletic cup while fencing?" How would I know whether or not they were wearing a cup without looking? Your male fencers in Texas may compare the contents of their underpants but that's not something we British do.
    You can generally tell when they huddle up into a ball on the ground for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSwiffin View Post
    Done

Are you expecting many serious answers to that question?!!!

I'm allowed to hope, aren't I? Best humorous answer thus far though, "personality."

Member jacquesdor has a spectacular aura aboutjacquesdor has a spectacular aura aboutjacquesdor has a spectacular aura about jacquesdor's Avatar

Male coach giving lesson to female epéeist....

Coach "Ok, today we are going to practice hits to the knee."
    Student "Ok."

At first attempt, a loud resonating clonk echoes around the salle.

Student, clearly flustered "Oh, I missed!"
    Coach, in high pitched, strained voice "No, you didn't!"

True story.
    The longer I do it the harder it gets.

Senior Member JohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaSniper View Post
    Hello, my name is Rebecca Shaw and I am an Engineering Design and Development student at Chapin High School, El Paso, TX. I am currently conducting research on hip and groin injuries in male fencers. If anyone could take a moment to answer the questions in this survey, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q6LZ39V

Thank you.
    9. What would you like to see in an athletic cup or similar device?

Hot pink satin, with a fur trim perhaps??????
    JohnL

Initiate RiledRifler has a spectacular aura aboutRiledRifler has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    9. What would you like to see in an athletic cup or similar device?
    I've heard of various euphemisms and verbal devices but going up to a fencer to give them an "athletic cup" is a new one on me...

Default Many Thanks

I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to participate in this survey. The results are helping greatly in my research! Wish me luck in developing my product!

+ Reply to Thread