+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leon Paul Int

Senior Member Keith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Default Leon Paul Int

Any news or is it still too early for results coming in? I heard we had a very large entry. Normally this competition is the largest MF satellite event in the world.

Tom Brien uk_45 will become famous soon enoughuk_45 will become famous soon enough uk_45's Avatar

There are results from the first round for all Brits and top seeds at http://www.twitter.com/britishfencing some Brits going really well. More detail a http://www.twitter.com/events4bf

Top Brits after 1stRd Lee V6D0, Cook V5D1, Beevers/Donovan V4D2, Peggs/Mepstead/Melia V4D1

Senior Member Keith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to Ben and Amol in top 8.

Senior Member Peaseblossom has a spectacular aura aboutPeaseblossom has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone got the links on Twitter to the last-128/64/32 etc to work? Although the PDF links are clickable they don't appear to link to anything.

Sorry to see the top 4 at the Leon Paul is all foreign fencers, but well done to Ben Peggs and Amol Ratan on making the top 8.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
    Has anyone got the links on Twitter to the last-128/64/32 etc to work? Although the PDF links are clickable they don't appear to link to anything.
    They did for me on my iPhone 4s
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

FYI NIF is on 75% of number present - 117.75

On FIE WC system would have been 40

On overseas satellite would have been 64

I didn't bother to work it out using GBR rankings as I know it would have been less.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Senior Member Peaseblossom has a spectacular aura aboutPeaseblossom has a spectacular aura about

Re the iphone: My laptop isn't sophisticated enough then! I really wish BF could sort out straightforward ways of providing information like this.

Senior Member JohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.A.Smith View Post
    Sorry to see the top 4 at the Leon Paul is all foreign fencers, but well done to Ben Peggs and Amol Ratan on making the top 8.
    Indeed, congratulations to Ratan and Peggs.

However, I believe the results highlight that MF may well be in the running for a similar decline in International results to a level of other weapons.

Letís note the following;

3 of the final 4 fencers were 20, 19, and 16 (not withstanding my miscalculation on birthdays.)

5 British fencers in the L32 is not exactly stellar and indicates a lack of strength in depth. Also, they lost to fencers with WRís of 122, 132, and unranked. I do not say this as a criticism of their performance as their own rankings were somewhere on a par with the visitors, but a lack of depth that people have been saying we have at MF.

That goes to my next point, where were the top British fencers? From the results (unless a whole slew of the top guys got knocked out in the L64!) they didnít show up. In fact only 5 of the Top 16 in British rankings bothered to enter. The LP is the only international MF event at senior level in the country and quite frankly, our fencers arenít good enough to miss it. Attendance at the LP should be MANDATORY for all top British MFís.

They may well say, ďOh, it isnít in my overall plan as I need to compete in too many competitions already and I donít want to be tired or burnt out. I have to make sure I peak at the right time.Ē
    BS of the first order.
    JohnL

Senior Member Hassan is a jewel in the roughHassan is a jewel in the roughHassan is a jewel in the rough

Husayn was unable to defend his title due to a niggling shoulder injury that he is trying to get rid of.
    This is the first competition of this nature he has missed in his entire career.

But I take your general point. The National Seniors have also been treated with a similar disregard by our top foilists over the past six years or so. I've never understood why.

Senior Member Hungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud ofHungry Hippo has much to be proud of Hungry Hippo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    .............. That goes to my next point, where were the top British fencers? From the results (unless a whole slew of the top guys got knocked out in the L64!) they didnít show up. In fact only 5 of the Top 16 in British rankings bothered to enter. The LP is the only international MF event at senior level in the country and quite frankly, our fencers arenít good enough to miss it. Attendance at the LP should be MANDATORY for all top British MFís.

They may well say, ďOh, it isnít in my overall plan as I need to compete in too many competitions already and I donít want to be tired or burnt out. I have to make sure I peak at the right time.Ē
    BS of the first order.
    More likely is that they are being told by the weapon committee that it is not in their plan, and to compete may jeapordise any funding that might be due, either now or in the future.

Thirty hours Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Hippo View Post
    More likely is that they are being told by the weapon committee that it is not in their plan, and to compete may jeapordise any funding that might be due, either now or in the future.
    There are no weapon committees any more. Senior is all under WCP.

Senior Member JohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Hippo View Post
    I suppose that's possible, but if so, why did 5 of the top fencers show up.

On the FIE calender the first big tournament listed is the Rommel in Paris towards the end of January. Unless there's some other smaller competitions that aren't listed, is anyone suggesting that our fencers should go to the Rommel (and team competition) without any warm up competition. Let's face it, no one really exerted themselves at the olympics so why would you go into the Rommel not having fenced competetively for months(6)?

On a selfish note, British Fencing actually needs the Leon Paul. It is the only senior MF Int. in the country and while the fencers attending from abroard aren't the top nations top fencers, it does give all our fencers experience of fencers outside their own comfort zone. If our top fencers don't compete, the attending countries will be less inclined to support the event and the downward spiral begins. BF and the top fencers should support the tournament.

And in case our top guys haven't got the message, "You're not good enough not to fence the Leon Paul." I understand that we have a couple of fencers with good (great!) world rankings, but performances over the last year do not represent an upward move. The LP would have been an ideal competition for our top guys to warm up at. Low cost and average ranked international fencers. Sounds good to me!
    JohnL

+ Reply to Thread