+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Italian fencing training

Senior Member Miacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to all

Default Italian fencing training

I don't know who this Italian fencer is, but the coach is certainly encouraging!

I think you would need to be of an excellent fitness to do this to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ixdspvGnMc8

Quote Originally Posted by Miacat View Post
    I don't know who this Italian fencer is, but the coach is certainly encouraging!

The whole video is about 45 mins long; great watch if you can get hold of it. Some of the difficulty levels in my mind are 'mixed up'; in that some of the 'easier' exercises I find harder than the 'difficult' ones. Probably just me doing them wrong I reckon.

Forum Rabbit Johnny12 is on a distinguished road

I wonder when someone is prepared for this? and HOW does someone get prepared for this? I mean the past exercising for it. I wish I could do something like that.

Senior Member ChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to beholdChrisL is a splendid one to behold ChrisL's Avatar

We've been integrating a few of the exercises from this but the demands on the ankles and leg muscles can be fairly significant. Still figuring how to try and apply them to club level but using them as a basis towards explosive lunges and general recovery speed is the initial goal. It will take some time to figure how effective such plyometrics can be over a few years short term training.

Building up you can start with simple jump exercises. Jumping feet together for 1 minute (rest between each), then jumping high for 1 minute, then 1 minute knees to chest the focus being simply on continuous jumps in each exercise, later perhaps adding one-legged jumps. A step is also useful with similar exercises jumping on and off.

The focus should be to build the stability and muscle strength so such exercises can be done safely, trying to do something physically demanding (particularly demanding on the ankles in these plyometric exercises since fencing already stresses these joints) is a quick route to injury if one isn't careful or ready.

Senior Member Miacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to allMiacat is a name known to all

A lot of the French fencers use a skipping rope for warm up exercises too. Low jumps, high jumps, alternate feet, etc, usually for about 5 minutes or so. I see quite a few do this before a competition starts before going on to stretch exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Miacat View Post

Yep....have seen this one before...my knees hurt just watching.

+ Reply to Thread