+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Veteran's fencing Ooop North

Member manicguitarist has a spectacular aura aboutmanicguitarist has a spectacular aura about manicguitarist's Avatar

Default Veteran's fencing Ooop North

Hi folks!
    I'm considering joining the BVF - but at the moment it doesn't actually seem to offer any benefit to fencers "Ooop North".

Is this a chicken and egg kinda thing? There are plenty 40+ fencers in the clubs I attend, but non are in the BVF, but equally the BVF doesn't come up here - so no reason to join. And so on....

Just sounding off really....

Forum Rabbit Don Diego is on a distinguished road

Think you will find there are a few bvf members in your area.
    I do believe the NW sent a team to the veterans winton cup.
    Other side of the pennines Leeds Open had a veterans only competition (run on opposite days to the open so you could do both).

Member manicguitarist has a spectacular aura aboutmanicguitarist has a spectacular aura about manicguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Diego View Post
    Think you will find there are a few bvf members in your area.
    I do believe the NW sent a team to the veterans winton cup.
    Other side of the pennines Leeds Open had a veterans only competition (run on opposite days to the open so you could do both).

Hi Don!
    Yes, there may be a few - but there could be *a lot*, but as it stands there isn't really any reason to join up.

Speaking personally, I'd fence all day every day (I work for myself, so can choose my hours) if I could find someone to fence against - and most weekends too (wife permitting), so it is for selfish reasons that I want more tournaments up here.

Senior Member bafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of lightbafco is a glorious beacon of light bafco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manicguitarist View Post
    Hi folks!
    I'm considering joining the BVF - but at the moment it doesn't actually seem to offer any benefit to fencers "Ooop North".
    One of the problems is communication. I am just in the process of setting up a mailing list for veteran fencers in the NW and will be adding a veterans section to the NW website in the new year.
    Is this a chicken and egg kinda thing? There are plenty 40+ fencers in the clubs I attend, but non are in the BVF, but equally the BVF doesn't come up here - so no reason to join. And so on....
    Not very often it doesn't but there have been competitions run by the NVF in Leeds and Wrexham. Of course if we had more members up here then we could press for more events with, as the advertisement for the Bay Open stated, "extra rain and fog".
    If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by bafco View Post
    One of the problems is communication. I am just in the process of setting up a mailing list for veteran fencers in the NW and will be adding a veterans section to the NW website in the new year.

Not very often it doesn't but there have been competitions run by the NVF in Leeds and Wrexham. Of course if we had more members up here then we could press for more events with, as the advertisement for the Bay Open stated, "extra rain and fog".

Certainly raining here. Not stopped really since June.

Wrexham? North?!....Leeds? Well, that, I guess, is *just* North.

Kian Ryan purple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant future purple's Avatar

Certainly raining here. Not stopped really since June.

Wrexham? North?!....Leeds? Well, that, I guess, is *just* North.
    You should hear the whinging any time an event is run at the EIS in Sheffield, or Bolton Arena, or Gateshead. I feel a proportion of the fencing community would be most happy if the entire circuit was moved to within the M25 and sod everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    You should hear the whinging any time an event is run at the EIS in Sheffield, or Bolton Arena, or Gateshead. I feel a proportion of the fencing community would be most happy if the entire circuit was moved to within the M25 and sod everybody else.

I must admit to being a bit about that though - sure, complain if there are no competitions where you are - but don't complain if others have them. If that makes sense - for example I don't want there to be less competitions darn sarf for the Vets, just more Ooop Norf as well. If it is too far to go - then folks don't have to go!

Kian Ryan purple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant futurepurple has a brilliant future purple's Avatar

I must admit to being a bit about that though - sure, complain if there are no competitions where you are - but don't complain if others have them. If that makes sense - for example I don't want there to be less competitions darn sarf for the Vets, just more Ooop Norf as well. If it is too far to go - then folks don't have to go!
    That's fine for senior fencers who are simply after doing the open circuit, etc, but for junior fencers it's a little more complicated. There are nominated events they have to attend for selection, ranking etc. The balance of these events is one of the most hotly debated topics of the fencing calendar[1].

God's knows for vets.

--
    [1] Seriously. I mean, it's not like we've anything better to do?

Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
    That's fine for senior fencers who are simply after doing the open circuit, etc, but for junior fencers it's a little more complicated. There are nominated events they have to attend for selection, ranking etc. The balance of these events is one of the most hotly debated topics of the fencing calendar[1].

God's knows for vets.

--
    [1] Seriously. I mean, it's not like we've anything better to do?

Ah...now I understand.

South based fencers chasing rankings don't want competitions Ooop North because it is a long way. Northern based fencers have to make the effort - or is the impression down South that there ain't many fencers up here - because they ain't at the competitions.....

Doesn't help with the North's impression of the fortitude of those based down South. Hey, perhaps if we served shandy at Northern competitions they might not mind coming up here?

+ Reply to Thread