+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Sport funding

Senior Member munkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond repute munkey's Avatar

Default UK Sport funding

UK Sport are due to announce National Governing Body funding on Satirday 15th December. What's your best guess for how much BF will get to run its World Class Programme to Rio 2016? Prize for closest guess - a warm round of applause and the respect of your peers.

I'll start - £2.8 million.
    Sean Walton - the voice of reason!

www.salleholyrood.com

Senior Member riposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond reputeriposteinprime has a reputation beyond repute

£1 million. No money for no medals.

Senior Member Swords Crossed is a splendid one to beholdSwords Crossed is a splendid one to beholdSwords Crossed is a splendid one to beholdSwords Crossed is a splendid one to beholdSwords Crossed is a splendid one to beholdSwords Crossed is a splendid one to behold

A refund on the cost of our funding application?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword, but only at close quarters"

Senior Member LifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud ofLifeBeginsAt58 has much to be proud of

How about an amount commensurate with achievements to date.
    Take a bow BF and bF!

Quote Originally Posted by munkey View Post
    UK Sport are due to announce National Governing Body funding on Satirday 15th December. What's your best guess for how much BF will get to run its World Class Programme to Rio 2016? Prize for closest guess - a warm round of applause and the respect of your peers.
    Sean,
    Can I have a prize for pointing out that the UK Sport announcement date has changed and will now be on Tuesday 18th, with Sport England on 17th?
    Graham

Senior Member munkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond reputemunkey has a reputation beyond repute munkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graham paul View Post
    Sean,
    Can I have a prize for pointing out that the UK Sport announcement date has changed and will now be on Tuesday 18th, with Sport England on 17th?
    Graham
    Thank you Graham. You get the warm round of applause at the moment, the other bit depends on how wisely you and the rest of the BF Board spend the money ;-)

www.salleholyrood.com

Senior Member TBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud of

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the pot of money stay the same? Or was that the overall UK Sport pot for all sports up until 2016?

Plus Graham, thats called insider knowledge...! :P

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Can I point out that the funding bodies' view of BF success or otherwise is based on very different criteria to that of many readers of this forum.

We were not predicted any medals and we did not get any. We had two teams make L8 and they actually had to beat someone to get there.

The selection arguments are peripheral, many sports had those.

What will matter is whether the funders are convinced that we have evidence of the talent on a pathway to succeed in reaching agree targets in 2016 and whether they believe we have the systems, processes and governance to allow them to get there.

I may be made to eat my words, but I think that Alex is good at playing that game. Let's hope for a good outcome. At that point we can start to know where the plans can go and what money we have to play with running up to Rio.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TBennett View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the pot of money stay the same? Or was that the overall UK Sport pot for all sports up until 2016?

Plus Graham, thats called insider knowledge...! :P
    I think it was the overall pot, how that is split depends on the submissions sports were making over the past few weeks.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Senior Member TBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud ofTBennett has much to be proud of

Ah fair enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Foilling Around View Post
    Can I point out that the funding bodies' view of BF success or otherwise is based on very different criteria to that of many readers of this forum.

We were not predicted any medals and we did not get any. We had two teams make L8 and they actually had to beat someone to get there.

The selection arguments are peripheral, many sports had those.

What will matter is whether the funders are convinced that we have evidence of the talent on a pathway to succeed in reaching agree targets in 2016 and whether they believe we have the systems, processes and governance to allow them to get there.

I may be made to eat my words, but I think that Alex is good at playing that game. Let's hope for a good outcome. At that point we can start to know where the plans can go and what money we have to play with running up to Rio.
    Paul,
    You have summed up the situation very accurately.
    Graham

Yes the overall pot remains the same however there are several sports that are unlikely to receive the funding they did in the run-up to 2012 where they had the home nations places to guarantee their participation and they are considered extremely unlikely to qualify for Rio, such as handball, basketball, volleyball. This was the basis for my guess at what we might receive.

www.salleholyrood.com

***** Legend hokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond reputehokers has a reputation beyond repute hokers's Avatar

Can we from now on refer to the allocation as multiples of "N", where N has a value of £181,211 (allocated to external consultancy in the 2011/2012 accounts)? So £1M would be 5.5N. Just to get some context, you understand.

http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/pr...6&pp=20&page=3
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Quote Originally Posted by hokers View Post
    Can we from now on refer to the allocation as multiples of "N", where N has a value of £181,211 (allocated to external consultancy in the 2011/2012 accounts)? So £1M would be 5.5N. Just to get some context, you understand.

http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/pr...6&pp=20&page=3
    Hokers,

You must have a different set of accounts to my version, which has £181,211 labelled as 'Consultant costs' . This sum included costs of the coaches employed by BF, and some part time staff, such as the National Academy manager. The total does not seem too extreme to me.

Graham

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

Graham Paul

I would be very surprised if Coaches were included in this item. Certainly not ZW and MW who would either be
    included in WCP costs or as employees of BFA. So the question is which coaches are included in this figure.

Personally I disagree with you. I think that the overall costs of consultants and salaries were disproportionately
    high in last financial year when you look at overall revenues received by sport.

Senior Member JohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Velden View Post
    Graham Paul

I would be very surprised if Coaches were included in this item. Certainly not ZW and MW who would either be
    included in WCP costs or as employees of BFA. So the question is which coaches are included in this figure.

Personally I disagree with you. I think that the overall costs of consultants and salaries were disproportionately
    high in last financial year when you look at overall revenues received by sport.
    Surely that depends on who the consultants were, how many, and what they did!

Without a detailed breakdown (which I have no idea if it is available or not) any speculation on these costs being excessive is purely that, speculation.
    JohnL

Ron,

You are putting words into my mouth, I have not commented on whether overall costs were reasonable. I was pointing out that the Hokers claim that £181k was spent on external consultants was not supported by the published accounts.

Graham

Senior Member Ronald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond reputeRonald Velden has a reputation beyond repute

John L

I don't think so. There was considerable concern about how money was spent last year including by some of the
    people who are now sitting on Board and I suspect also by interim CEO who has conducted a review of the BFAs
    Funding and Budgeting arrangements.

Senior Member JohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Velden View Post
    John L

I don't think so. There was considerable concern about how money was spent last year including by some of the
    people who are now sitting on Board and I suspect also by interim CEO who has conducted a review of the BFAs
    Funding and Budgeting arrangements.
    Sorry Ron

While, like you, I may have concerns I am also prepared to trust the new guys who were voted in to represent fencers interests to look at the expenditure. I have no doubt they will have the details available to them to allow an accurate assessment to be made as to whether the expediture was reasonable or excessive based on facts.

Until then, as highlighted in your post, your analysis and concerns are speculative rather than based on facts.
    JohnL

Senior Member Keith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond reputeKeith.A.Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I think we will do quite well and Alex will run international programme through to Rio.

What is crucial is the programme is then run well, as we have no soft places this time round and so funding will probably be very narrowly focused.

In real terms since Gold and Grow were started they have not succeeded. I would be very pleased to see them do so by Rio.

What will be interesting will be Board role as UKS will not want Board involved in international performance and so it will be run by Alex and her team.

+ Reply to Thread