+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Academy Epee Winter Camp starts today

Senior Member ED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond reputeED_R has a reputation beyond repute

They got coaching and the other stuff too. Line lessons, paired exercises, scenarios etc. But sparring was what they got from the Japanese AFAIK
    Edward Peck

Thirty hours Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute Red's Avatar

Fair enough.
    Would a camp geared mainly towards sparring be of interest? It hadn't really occurred to me before that there might be demand for something like that. If there is enough interest I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to buy in a number of fencers of that quality for a 3 or 4 day camp.

Senior Member Jon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Willis has a reputation beyond repute Jon Willis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Fair enough.
    Would a camp geared mainly towards sparring be of interest?
    We will find out at Easter *cough*

Senior Member MatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant futureMatFink has a brilliant future MatFink's Avatar

There was no 'sparring' scheduled at all during this camp.

There was rotation fencing, scenario fencing, pairs work, lessons, s&c and competive bouting, but at no point was any of the fencing without purpose.

There is a fundemental misunderstanding in the UK about what constitutes training and what is really recreational 'sparring'.

I feel that Alex put together a really well balanced and beneficial program. The addition of high level fencers from different systems of fencing was a plus both training and motivationally in competitive situations.

The Japanese coaches were very keen to observe and learn from us. In addition to the major sessions, one of the Japanese coaches took lessons from myself and Kate during one of our group sessions, and I gave a demonstration lesson with one of my personal students for the Japanese coaches which they recorded and were able to ask questions on. This also gave me the chance to get feedback and ideas from them as well as the other coaches.

Given that Alex is well versed in the Russian school, David and Keni are Hungarian Diplomas, I am very much French School, and Peter and Kate (as Junior Squad Coaches for the last 10 years) are familiar with a wide range of styles and coaching ideas from Italy and Germany and many other systems; I feel that the coaches had as much to teach and learn from each other as we had to offer the athletes.

It is clear to me that we have the talent and ability both in terms of athletes and coaches in the UK. There are a number of countries that actively want to train with us, share ideas with us, and in some cases learn from us. What we now need to develop is a structure that can deliver consistantly groups of athletes with real world class potential.

I feel that the presence of the Japanese was really motivating for our athletes and interesting for us as coaches. I hope it will be the first of many similar exchanges in the future.
    www.fencingphotos.com

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MatFink View Post
    I hope it will be the first of many similar exchanges in the future.
    Ski trip to Japan anyone!!
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

+ Reply to Thread