+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Student Games Criteria

Chris Howser cesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond reputecesh_fencing has a reputation beyond repute cesh_fencing's Avatar

Default World Student Games Criteria

From Selection Document- www.britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=718

5. Fencing Performance Criteria
    To qualify for consideration for selection Athletes must have achieved either:
    (1) A L16 in a Senior World Cup Individual Event between 1st January and 26th May 2013
    or a L32 at the Senior European Championships 2012; OR
    (2) A L8 place in a Junior World Cup Individual Event, Junior World Championships or
    Junior European Championships between 1st September 2012 and 26th May 2013; OR
    (3) A L8 place as part of a Team competing in a Senior World Cup Team Event between 1st
    January and 26th May 2013 or at the Senior European Championships 2012; OR
    (4) A Medal in the Team event at the Junior World or European Championships between 1st
    September 2012 and 26th May 2013.
    N.B. (1) and (2) are on the proviso that these results have led to the athlete finishing at
    least in the top half of the entered field; (3) on the proviso that the team won through at
    least one direct elimination round.
    (5) In addition, British Fencing may select fencers from its World Class Performance
    Programme as part of their development towards 2016 and 2020. Fencers selected under
    (5) will only be selected to fill vacancies not taken by fencers qualified under (1) to (4)
    above (i.e. no fencer qualified under (1) to (4) above will be displaced by a fencer selected
    under (5)).
    Oundle, Peterborough & Stamford Fencing

Member Let's Fence will become famous soon enough Let's Fence's Avatar

Think it might have been useful to see the selection criteria a little sooner if results from September at Juniors are to count and that a number of slots for WCP could be used.

Think the selection criteria are slightly weighted towards the discretionary selection of WC pathway fencers.

Interesting that as a lot of uni fencers are still juniors and that we keep hearing the LTAD argument voiced that really you need to be a top ranked senior fencer to be in with a chance of qualifying for the World Uni games. Pity the number one junior male épéeist won't be selected even with a last 16 at Junior a grade.

Will try to check out other sports selection policies when I get back to work.

So far as I can tell only MF qualified so far:

Davis - Senior Euro's 2012 (ind.& team result)
    Rosowsky - Senior Euro's 2012 (team result)
    Archer - Eden Cup L8 (assume also a student)

Based on BF selection info there's still one Junior World Cup MF, 2 x WF, 2 x ME, 2 x WE and enough students in senior WC selections to make a difference to this IF they get results. (there seem to be no more Junior sabre selections although information may not be published)

Not sure I would concur that this is skewed to discretionary selection. Also if you look at past WSG results the winners are generally top level senior WC competitors - so they've got to be capable, no passengers!

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar
    Nottingham University Head Coach, Nottingham Cavaliers Coach

Here is a radical thought! If every country only sent athletes who were capable of winning then these would be very small events and women's foil would be Italians only!
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

Quote Originally Posted by Foilling Around View Post
    Here is a radical thought! If every country only sent athletes who were capable of winning then these would be very small events and women's foil would be Italians only!
    My point was capable of competing at WC level - not necessarily winning. This season's WC selections seem to be giving some of our younger fencers a chance to show this.

Personally I think L16 is a tough ask. L64 should be sufficient for WSG minimum qualification IMO.

Paul Sibert Foilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond reputeFoilling Around has a reputation beyond repute Foilling Around's Avatar
    Nottingham University Head Coach, Nottingham Cavaliers Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte_de_Bragelonne View Post
    My point was capable of competing at WC level - not necessarily winning. This season's WC selections seem to be giving some of our younger fencers a chance to show this.

Personally I think L16 is a tough ask. L64 should be sufficient for WSG minimum qualification IMO.
    Apologies, my reply was not meant to get at you. It was at the strangeness of the criteria.
    Qualified National Academy AASE Assessor
    Father of a Scotland Junior Commonwealths Fencer and a Senior Commonwealth Team Foil Gold Medallist

+ Reply to Thread