+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to make a practice target?

Senior Member Harryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to behold Harryscott's Avatar

Default What's the best way to make a practice target?

What's the best way to make a practice target for foil and epee? Any suggestions?

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

Ive been using an old punchbag with yellow sticky notes on it
    Épée-n in the leg.

Senior Member Jacdaw has a spectacular aura aboutJacdaw has a spectacular aura aboutJacdaw has a spectacular aura about Jacdaw's Avatar

Old carpet on a wall? Pillow on wall?
    "It is not enough to succeed, others must fail." Foilist

Senior Member BigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of lightBigPappaBear is a glorious beacon of light

String, tennis ball and something to hang it from away from a wall...
    Risk a lot and wear glasses

Initiate MKCap is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappaBear View Post
    String, tennis ball and something to hang it from away from a wall...
    I do similar but with golf balls, quick pilot hole with a drill the attach a screw in loop like the ones you get for net curtains and attach with string.

Also I have a couple of cheap Ikea plastic chopping board covered with a foam type material and stick on shapes.

Senior Member Harryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to beholdHarryscott is a splendid one to behold Harryscott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MKCap View Post
    I do similar but with golf balls, quick pilot hole with a drill the attach a screw in loop like the ones you get for net curtains and attach with string.

Also I have a couple of cheap Ikea plastic chopping board covered with a foam type material and stick on shapes.
    I like the sounds of the golf balls. Is this best done with a steam foil or will an electric tip survive the (occasional) collision?

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    Ive been using an old punchbag with yellow sticky notes on it
    That's clever. I'll see if I can find one on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacdaw View Post
    Old carpet on a wall? Pillow on wall?
    Very good idea.

Initiate MKCap is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Harryscott View Post
    I like the sounds of the golf balls. Is this best done with a steam foil or will an electric tip survive the (occasional) collision?
    Being an epee type, can't say I have ever tried with foils but the balls move as you hit them so you are unlikely to even press the button.

Senior Member TomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond reputeTomA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MKCap View Post
    Being an epee type, can't say I have ever tried with foils but the balls move as you hit them so you are unlikely to even press the button.
    The button will depress if you hit with accuracy, correct hand position and a solid extension, which is why the exercise is good, as this is how you should hit in a fight. As the ball starts to move you just have to change the line you are hitting in so that you meet it in the air.

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

If you want a practice dummy, go to the American forum and search (good luck!) for them. IIRC there were a few designs linked to on a thread or two fairly recently. If you just want a target to hit, LP used to have some on their site a year or so ago at fairly reasonable prices.

If you really want to make one, I'd suggest working out what shape and size you want to make them, then go to your local DIY store and get some MFD or plywood, cut to size. Then you'd need some sort of padding ( old sheets or duvet covers would probably do) and then a tough cover - some sort of softish leather would probably suffice for now. Your general craft store will probably do this in large enough quantity for your needs. Pull the cover as taught as you can over the padding, and staple it onto the MDF/plywood and you should be good to go.
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Member Honeybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the roughHoneybadger is a jewel in the rough Honeybadger's Avatar

You could try lightswitches, too. Or does that only work for epeeists?
    Épée-n in the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artignan View Post
    If you want a practice dummy, go to the American forum and search (good luck!) for them. IIRC there were a few designs linked to on a thread or two fairly recently. If you just want a target to hit, LP used to have some on their site a year or so ago at fairly reasonable prices.

If you really want to make one, I'd suggest working out what shape and size you want to make them, then go to your local DIY store and get some MFD or plywood, cut to size. Then you'd need some sort of padding ( old sheets or duvet covers would probably do) and then a tough cover - some sort of softish leather would probably suffice for now. Your general craft store will probably do this in large enough quantity for your needs. Pull the cover as taught as you can over the padding, and staple it onto the MDF/plywood and you should be good to go.
    Grand. Thanks. Then hang it on the wall like a picture. Maybe there's a gap in the market, here!

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    You could try lightswitches, too. Or does that only work for epeeists?
    I'll try it with a foil and let you know. Providing I don't fuse myself to the national grid, that is.

Village idiot D'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant futureD'Artignan has a brilliant future D'Artignan's Avatar

Bear in mind that my suggestion would only be a very quick and temporary solution at best. You'd still be better going and buying one if you had the cash IMO.
    Threadkiller extraordinaire...

http://www.scottish-fencing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artignan View Post
    Bear in mind that my suggestion would only be a very quick and temporary solution at best. You'd still be better going and buying one if you had the cash IMO.
    Agreed. They are so expensive, though. I'll wait for the lottery cheque. Or until I fall off the wagon in Spring and order one at two in the morning on Amazon

Forum Rabbit Roman Brenda is on a distinguished road Roman Brenda's Avatar

The answer appeared in "The Sword" magazine last year. Go down to your wine cellar and practise using the corks.
    Roman

Initiate AJ91 will become famous soon enough

A jacket (though preferably a coaching jacket) pulled over the back upright section of a computer chair works really well.
    Been using it for a while now and gives something fairly similar to the pressure needed in reality whilst also not putting too much pressure on the tip (and most fencers have the stuff already so cheap/free!).

Other chairs may also work but computer ones tend to be taller/be adjustable which is an advantage.

Senior Member Spider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant futureSpider5 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Harryscott View Post
    I'll try it with a foil and let you know. Providing I don't fuse myself to the national grid, that is.
    I assume Honey Badger meant the pull string ones you get in bathrooms with the small plastic toggle on the end. Be sure to buy a few spare toggles as once you get good at it they can split.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Brenda View Post
    The answer appeared in "The Sword" magazine last year. Go down to your wine cellar and practise using the corks.
    How do you do that?

+ Reply to Thread